Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing Guru's post of his first steelie it got me thinking to my first catch 3 years ago. I think it would be cool to see pics and here storys of your first catch so here is mine.

Dec 19 2004 Me and my dad (crop Duster) went up to look for some elusive chrome on the beautiful Skykomish river. We went up to reiter just to turn around in the parking lot and head back to a less crowded part of the river. We drove up the highway a bit and ended up at High Bridge. It seemed like a good spot to a guy who didn't know what he was doing and there were a few anglers there so why not join them. Paw and I start casting out into the big glacier green pools hoping for a bump, a Dolly would have been great at that point. After 30 mins we thought we were just wasting are time and had to fish the hatchery to get a fish. Thats when I headed down river to the old railroad tressel and started floating a jig. The water looked perfect, few feet of vis, cold brisk December air, only thing that could have improved thease conditions was a winter run silver bullet. After bouncing my tackle of the tressel a few times trying to cast my Abu 5500 I got my float right into the seem. Third drift through the slot "bloop" my float goes under, I jerk back trying to hit my self in the arse and out of the water jumps a bright hatchery hen!!! My heart was racing 250 beats a minute as I reeled and reeled not making any ground on her cuz my drag was to loose. After a few adjustments I get her close the bank and pounce on her like a cougar, this one was NOT getting away. After scrabling for a rock to give her the shampoo I stand back to soak it all in. Shaking like kicked puppy i realize I should head back up river and show paw my catch. I started back practicly running on wet rock trying not to break a ankle knowing when I scale the pile of bolder my fish will be in site for all to see. I remember seeing Crop Duster giving the double take as a climed down the rocks with a fish in hand, pole in the other.

After my first fish I was the one that was hooked. A gamefisher once said "its like crack only more expensive" :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
I caught my first steelhead in 1977...I was seven years old...damn thing was almost as big as me! You can't see it in the picture, but I was standing on a small step stool so that the tail wouldn't be laying on the kitchen floor!

Caught it on a spinner with six pound test line, on a Garcia/Mitchell combo...6'6" trout rod with a Mitchell 300.

Here it is:

Sammamish River...it was the second time I ever fished for steelhead; the first time was the day before, on the Skykomish...I hooked and lost one on my first day there.

Fish on...

Todd

Attachments

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I still remember my first Steelhead. Came from the banks of the Humptulips River in Rosie Hole on opening day in 1958. Limit was 3 a day then but this is the only one caught that day.

Homemade copper spoon on a steel rod and a Mitchell 300 spinning reel.

Dang, I always thought it was atleast 9 pounds but judging by the picture it was a bit smaller than that. Gotta get a scale that some guys use so I could call it a 19 pounder!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Very cool Oldguy Tup:

I dont remember my first one :oops: but the one I remember most is watching Junior reel it in on the Cowlitz 5 years ago after setting the hook himself. Now I wonder why I didnt photo it.

Seeing his friend yesterday on the skagit with his first ever was almost as rewarding even though it wasnt my kid, the excitement in his face was awesome.

too bad he wasnt turned around

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very cool guys, keep em coming!!!!

1977 Todd? Thats the year I was born, wish I had 30 years fishing under my belt Tup:

·
Registered
693 Posts
very cool picture old guy! what year was that? i love the retro look in the kitchen! it reminds me of my grandmothers house 47 years ago...wow...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
crop duster said:
very cool picture old guy! what year was that? i love the retro look in the kitchen! it reminds me of my grandmothers house 47 years ago...wow...
Just a few years ago. 1958 when I was 14. Guess that river is gone now! Dried up and blew away!

oldguy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Five years ago on the Wallace with the Larry the man that got me addicted to steel. Since then every loose dollar I have go to Corkies, Simms Gear, leader, hooks, yarn, spoons, spinners, lead, polls, reels, oh and all those lost coffee togo mugs! :lol: I always say, "Being introduced to the "Steel" is a true gift...But my wife might have something different in mind.. :x I do love to hear the old timers talk about 3 fish limits, and being able to "walk accross the river on the backs of fish." Keeping natives and no crowds, no truck breakins, and not having to feel like packing heat. Thanks for the post Mayfly, good to remember what started the thing that we day dream about, dream about, gets us up early, makes us late for dinner, and makes us look forward to. Merry Christmas to all!!!!!! Tup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I started fishing last year in August. We went to the Sol Duc Hatchery and that was the first time I saw fish, just sitting there and lots of 'em! So I threw everything out there and nothing worked, btw I was just learning how to cast. Last thing to try was this little silver Super-Duper, tied it on and WHAM! Landed a little 4lb brat. Didn't put up much of a fight, but it was fun.

Went back to the same hole two days later and landed a 6lb brat with a fly and split shot. Casted the fly out there and as soon as it hit the water, it was fish on. After the tail dance and zig zagging, I had my 2nd steelie.

I still haven't caught one this year :(

·
Banned
733 Posts
first steelie i ever cought was three winters ago. I was up at reiter fishing the highway side. I had only fished for steelhead probably three times before. I was out all day long just hucking my little cleo silver and orange spoon not knowing what i was doing really. All day i casted the spoon and finally ............ Bam fish hammered it. The heart was pumping and i did not know how to act. Got it to the bank. it was a summer run in winter and I always heard that dark fish were not good eating so i ended up throwing my first steelie back so no pic :( If i could go back i would have kept it even if it was a summer run. And this is also why i have so much faith in spoons Tup:
Omar

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Big O said:
first steelie i ever cought was three winters ago. I was up at reiter fishing the highway side. I had only fished for steelhead probably three times before. I was out all day long just hucking my little cleo silver and orange spoon not knowing what i was doing really. All day i casted the spoon and finally ............ Bam fish hammered it. The heart was pumping and i did not know how to act. Got it to the bank. it was a summer run in winter and I always heard that dark fish were not good eating so i ended up throwing my first steelie back so no pic :( If i could go back i would have kept it even if it was a summer run. And this is also why i have so much faith in spoons Tup:
Omar
Thats awsome, first steelie on a spoon!!! clap:

I hope to get one like that this next year :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
1-11-00 after two years of steelheading and being unsuccessful, I was at Blue creek fishin with a buddy in the afternoon. Got hung up and proceeded to yard in a whole setup. Didnt think much of it at the time, made a few more casts then lost my riggin. Thought to myself why not, so I tied up that leader with a #4 and 2 rocket red corkies with some black yarn and let her chew. Well it wasnt the first cast but the 3rd that I hooked into and landed a nice little 6-7 lb hatchy hen. Couldnt believe it! and will never forget it. :D

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I know I already posted this but I wanted to put it in this thread too. My first Steelhead was a blast, that fish was the most amazing thing I have seen on the end of my Fishing pole in a long time, it was 12-21-07 and a cold nice day, the water had just dropped back into shape at Reiter, and we were the 6th truck in the lot, we got down to the fishing hole, and posted up on either side of the creek and watched other people catch nice fish and finally after about an hour my bobber goes down and it was fish on, I didn't even let it fight, just cranked the reel a couple of times, grabbed the line and yanked the fish onto the beach, where it proceeded to slap me for a while until I could find a rock to bonk it with :lol: , I am now hooked and the gear is stacking up already, it was the best time I have had on the river

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
about ten years ago I read a book about spoon fishing by jed davis {anybody know what happened to him, seems to have disappeared}, went down to the green up river from flaming geyser and got my first steelhead fishing spoons from the beach on a very cold low and clear day. havent really been the same since then I dont think.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mouth of the Stuck River about 24 - 25 years ago. About 5 lb buck on a sort of Goowie Bob (Old school, hard sided...so not Goowie at all).

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
shaynemol said:
Mouth of the Stuck River about 24 - 25 years ago. About 5 lb buck on a sort of Goowie Bob (Old school, hard sided...so not Goowie at all).
Awesome, the lure more then likely was an OKIE DRIFTER, really popular back then.

·
Registered
975 Posts
First one came in 1979, August sometime on the banks of N. Fork of the Toutle at the big Weyco campground. Plunking a spin glow on atrout rod, hoping for anything fishy. Was a suummer run of 7lbs. First winter run was in 1985 outa the Skookumchuck up near the dam.

·
Administrator
13,961 Posts
Upper Nisqually, caught on uncured fresh steelhead eggs that were givin to me by nice guy who felt sorry for me because I didn't know what I was doing. I was 16 at the time, sure with I had a picture. :)

·
Banned
661 Posts
Late winter early spring about 3 or so years ago on the Sol Duc. My first year in the state and my fourth month of fishing for steehead or any fish for that matter. Pulling plugs down a slow stretch when my buddie tells me to keep a sharp eye on the rods as we are approaching a nice back eddie behind a boulder. Like magic, the rod I had rigged up with the plug I had chosen was the one to bury and I'm the spastic up in arms trying to figure out how to disengage this flexed rod from the rod holder. Got it out and watched a very nice fish come out of the water a couple times as my buddy eased us to shore to land this nice girl. A down river native hen between 12 and 15#s. Couple quick pics and back she went. I gained a huge amount of appreciation for these fish at that one moment in time. Have only had the luxury once since then to catch another native fish, but I give it hell every chance I get. I will look on my other hard drive for the file. It was on another site when I was a member there...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts