Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back we had a pretty heated debate on the pros and cons of DUI roadblocks. I think this is a better solution. Punish those that have broken the law instead of everyone. The yellow plates would certainly get people attention, including police officer's. I'd keep watch a car with yellow plates pretty closely. Police should be able to pick them out at those roadblocks for random checks too..

http://www.king5.com/video/featured-ind ... vid=216987

·
Registered
946 Posts
I like this Idea alot better than the road block's. I'm sure those yellow plate's would really stick out :mrgreen:

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Why not just make them install flashing beacons on top of the roof Elk?

I am unsure of this one. Something about "shaming" that has an un american tone to it. I agree its better then punishing everyone however

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
This doesn't solve anything and it probably isn't constitutional either.
Its already being done in Ohio.

I agree with the not solving anything. They need to make it a serious offense. Look at the guy a couple months backs that was busted down by the UW. He had something like 15-16 DUIs on his record.

If they make a DUI a big fine (25K+) and a couple years in the slammer (without early release) then you might get people to think twice about driving drunk.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
The problem with is idea is the possible harrassment and persecution of the people forced too wear this scarlet letter. There are alot of people who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers and they might have a tendancy to want to get even. A yellow plate would be an easy target for vigilante justice. This is just not a good idea. It would also be defeated in any supreme court as a violation of personal rights. Our courts go to long lengths to protect the identities of sex offenders, murders and other criminals once they are released back into our neighbor hoods to prevent this kind of vigilante behavior.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Tiderunner said:
The problem with is idea is the possible harrassment and persecution of the people forced too wear this scarlet letter. There are alot of people who have lost loved ones to drunk drivers and they might have a tendancy to want to get even. A yellow plate would be an easy target for vigilante justice. This is just not a good idea. It would also be defeated in any supreme court as a violation of personal rights. Our courts go to long lengths to protect the identities of sex offenders, murders and other criminals once they are released back into our neighbor hoods to prevent this kind of vigilante behavior.
Good point TR. Tup:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
SportJet said:
Tiderunner said:
Good point TR. Tup:
Whats to prevent a dad or mom or other family member from taken harrassment because they are driving their kids car, or driving their parents car. This is just insane.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I am not for this. The only way to reduce drunk driving is to make the penalties tougher. This just seems like a waste of time and money.

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
I think a pink elephant drivers license would be a better solution. The people with a pink drivers license will be rejected at any bar, tavern, beverage store, or liquor store for alcohol purchases. I guess if they aren't drinkin then problem solved before they even hit the road.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont think this is a SOLUTION to drunk driving by any means. However, the other discussion was about having manditory road blocks to check for drunk driving. That wont solve the problem either. The Yellow plate idea punishes those who have already been convicted of DUI, while manditory road blocks punish everyone. I think the family member driving issue is interesting, but DUI does have direct impact on family members anyway. Hopefully only the family of the Drunk driver. As for harrassment by other drivers and enforcement. Personally, I wouldn't harass a car with a yellow plate, but if they even look a little suspicious, I'd call it in. Better enforcement harrasses them than everyone by pulling us over for illegal search isnt?

Its sad that these things have to even be brought up... if people could only make responsible decisions in the first place. I like the manditory organ donor idea too.

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
They need to have colored license plates for people who are terrible drivers too.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Maybe we could just make them drive nothing but fords. That will keep them off of the road most of the time.
At least they have circled the problem.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Maybe color coded license plates.........

yellow for convicted DUI
Red for convicted speeders
Green for driving without insurance
Blue for driving while suspended
purple for driving in passing lane when not passing
Brown for driving with bald tires........
Polka dots for driving while talking on the phone

Where does it end?
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense either.
Great point, Tiderunner....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts