Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone every have this issue. I have this woodpecker that for a year now keeps pecking above one of my upstairs windows. When I hear him, I open the window and he just flys away, but he keeps coming back. I finally got my ladder out and went up to look under the eaves where he pecks. The @$#% thing is putting holes in the siding and stuffing acorns and food into his nice drilled out holes. I looked it up and they are protected in WA unless I get a permit to kill them. So besides spending money on mesh netting along the eaves in the back of my house, does anyone else know of a good way to get rid of woody?

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Unless you plan on broadcasting the termination on the evening news,I'd break out a pellet gun and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Don't know if it works on woodpeckers but I kept the swallows out of my car port by hanging up a big blow up snake from the rafters.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Mesh netting and balloons and the sort will only cause him to move a couple feet away and start pecking all over again.
There is only one cure for this pecker, and you already know what it is.
We had two of these at our rental condo in Bellevue, and our association tried everything, including hiring a guy for 1200.00 to get rid of him.........he couldn't................somebody resorted to what had to be done.
Good luck!...they will really make a mess out of your siding.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Hunter P said:
Unless you plan on broadcasting the termination on the evening news,I'd break out a pellet gun and call it a day.
Sums it up real quickly.

I used to have one that was banging on my chimney cap. "used" to being the key :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I prefer a .410 and taking him on the way in... wink: Thats my gun of choice for starlings too!

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I used to have a woodpecker that would bang on the metat top of my chimney too. He sounded like a freakin' jackhammer early in the morning.
Believe it or not... all we did was put this stuffed Sylvester the cat that my wife got at Disneyland up there and we never heard from him again.

There are a bunch of woodpecker 'deterrents' out there if you don't want to go with the illegal lethal removal method.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
What kind of woody is it? Woodys are ranchers not farmers. They don't eat acorns etc they eat bugs. I would guess the munks and squrrells are depositing the arcons etc. They drill holes in trees and the sap runs into the holes and bugs eat the sap. Then Woody comes by to harvest the bugs on a regular rotation. If they are tapping your house you most likely have an insect issue that you are not aware of. Look for fly larva etrc under the edge of the siding etc. I have also been told they will tap on metal in the spring as some sort of mating ritual. The guy with the loudest tap is the most well hung and gets the chicks. You could spray the area and add some garlic oil or other material to discourage him. You could put up an owl or a motion sensored predator recording like an owl or a hawk. Or you can blast him one with the pellet gun. I have 3 or 4 varities of them out here and I enjoy them but they have ringed my Jack a Monte birches with holes and I had to screen them to get them to stop.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Theking said:
I have 3 or 4 varities of them out here and I enjoy them but they have ringed my Jack a Monte birches with holes and I had to screen them to get them to stop.
They did the same thing to my clump birch, after 3 years the tree has a hard time getting new growth up top and has a lot of dead branches up there now. Afraid I may have to take it down since Woody started about 1/2 way up.

·
Registered
554 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
Owl statues can work but I agree with a previous post, pellet gun and eliminate the problem. Just don't talk about it afterwards.

DBs right

Owl statues worked for me till I eliminated the insect riddled fir tree that was attracting him

·
Registered
315 Posts
Theking seems to know some stuff. I would look that up. Just before I shot
the bastard with a pellet gun or .22 birdshot.

Or name him Herschel and start a federal case over it. :)

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
setdahook said:
Anyone every have this issue. I have this woodpecker that for a year now keeps pecking above one of my upstairs windows. When I hear him, I open the window and he just flys away, but he keeps coming back.
Thats exactly whats been going on here. Sure glad he moved to your house :lol: :lol: Moved out a while back.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Flickers are most likely the culprit banging on the chimney caps,we got one that bangs on the power pole transformer, suprised he hasn't cooked himself yet.The pounding on metal has something to do with making noise for a mating ritual.

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
Don't kill the poor bird. He's only trying to survive. Take the good advise of placing an artificial owl or something in the area he is visiting, but save the pellets for the rats. Not a good idea for anyone to suggest killing a bird on the endangered list on this board.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
ImaginThat said:
Theking said:
I have 3 or 4 varities of them out here and I enjoy them but they have ringed my Jack a Monte birches with holes and I had to screen them to get them to stop.
They did the same thing to my clump birch, after 3 years the tree has a hard time getting new growth up top and has a lot of dead branches up there now. Afraid I may have to take it down since Woody started about 1/2 way up.
they got one of my willow trees too. hate to say it but i put up a "no fly zone" in my backyard and havent had a problem since. wink:

·
Registered
693 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmmmm smoked woodpecker! i hear they taste just like woodpecker wink:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Those things started in on my old shake roof right above my bedroom window. They were just letting me know it was time for a new roof. I knew that, but they sped up the decision making process. I went comp on the new roof.
I have a good showing of woodpeckers in my yard this time of year. They are fun to watch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts