Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The juices are flowing for a chance at Springers. Been reading the posts about Drano, and it sounds like it'll be off the hook. Also, it will likely be quite crowded. Anyone oppted for Wind instead of Drano in past years? Assuming that methods should be the same for each location.
Last year I saw on "Fishing the West" a segment about Wind River. It appeared to be 8-10 years old. Looked like opening day of Trout season at back of State tank truck dumping fish. I know how strong the wind can be in the gorge, but is it feasible to run from Carson to Drano if weather is fair?

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
The problem with springtime weather in the gorge is that it can be 'fair' one minute... and blowin' 40 knots outta the west the next.

It's faster just to put the boat back on the trailer and make the drive.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've bounced back and forth between the Wind and Drano the last 25 years, I get tired of one, so then fish the other.

Both places can be very productive, over the years I've caught as many @ one as the other...parking is somewhat limited @ both.

Carson is up on the hill, has no boat launch, Stevenson is the next closest boat launch.

Three years ago on the March 16th opener, with no winds we launched @ the "new" boat launch in Stevenson @ daylight and ran the 4-5 miles to the mouth of the Wind... it was like glass.
A west breeze started @ about 9:30 a.m. so we picked up to run back to the launch, we didn't run a mile down river and it was blowing 40-50 mph w/ 8'-10' breaking wind waves...one of the worst boat rides I've ever had and I crabbed in AK for 3 winters!

That was the last time I launched in Stevenson, now I just get to the Wind launch early, as I hate waiting in line.

March 16th '2004 opener('05 was the last year we could keep non clipped springers), notice all the other boats!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have never fished the mouth of the Wind, but I try to hit the canyon at least once a year. Took a plunge last year though and lost my Gamefishin' ball cap. Last time I ever fish the canyon by myself though...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Like Bob I've fished Wind and Drano for years, But Drano has had bigger returns the last few years. Did fish the Wind 1 day last year at a clients reguest and got are fish with fat fish (1oz size) trolling for the river mouth to the marker line. I would never think of running to Drano for there, the ride back would be WET.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts