Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have caught many salmon on corkies and yarn and have always wondered why on earth would they bite something like that in the first place conf: . I can see salmon hitting them out of agression but, the corkies dont give any action.

·
Registered
583 Posts
They do give some action. As your weight ticks bottom, the corky will speed up, slow down, float up, drop down, and bob side to side. Plus, every rock on the bottom of the river creates subtle current changes around it so there are endless little changes in current speed and direction that your corky drifts into and out of. All that said, I don't like fishing just corkies and yarn.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Because they don't have hands, and pick it up with their mouths to move it out of their way. ( a king salmon told me this in my sleep).. wink:

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
volynsky said:
steelhead bite them, because steelhead are dumb. they also hit rags and sponges and plain bits of yarn on a hook
Thats funny! Steelhead even bite bass gear! Their confuse I tell you. :lol:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Dr Hook said:
volynsky said:
steelhead bite them, because steelhead are dumb. they also hit rags and sponges and plain bits of yarn on a hook
Thats funny! Steelhead even bite bass gear! Their confuse I tell you. :lol:
yeah, even bass are smarter than steelhead. At least with bass, the fishing tackle manufacturers at least make an effort to produce lures/plastics that look life-like. So, they catch both bass and fishermen.

With steelhead, lure makers can sell non-life-like-looking materials (corkies, yarn, spin-N-Glos, etc), and still catch fishermen and steelhead.

I firmly believe that the "myth" of steelhead being an extremely intelligent and cagey animal, is a mistaken belief due to folks getting skunked on the river. "Dayummm... these fish are really smart. I threw everything in the river today and did not even get a bite... "

Well, that's because these guys were casting in the wrong spot or there were too few fish in the river.

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
I caught a steelhead on a foam ear plug once, true story!

By far the very most important thing about steelhead fishing is to FISH WHERE THE FISH ARE. If you find the fish they will bite, especially native steelhead. Seriously native steelhead are very eager biters. You can read all the technical posts and books you like but if the fish aren't threre, their not going to bite. :D

·
Banned
109 Posts
My dad's friend caught a nice steelhead last week on a green foam ear plug threaded on his leader, but its no big deal to him because he loves rag like drift bobbers so hes a constant user of them. As for steelhead being 'dumb' let alone saying they are dumber than the green carp of the Northwest, I dont think Id go that far, just because your not catching them doesnt mean your casting in the wrong spot or there are to few fish in the system. Take a fish finder on a drift boat while pulling plugs, you would be suprised on how many fish there are depending on the river. Though if one fished steelhead in completely 'un-molested' water steelhead are super aggressive as they naturaly should be. I know Ive had my share of skunkings in the past, heck Ive even been skunked when sight fishing for summer runs with my bug rod clown:

Coho King, though I dont fish much with corkie and yarn Id believe some fish either bite it out of aggression for territorial reasons or bite it out of curiousity, or of coarse its people's favorite flossing device. Just because you see fish caught with corkie and yarn in the mouth doesnt mean they bit it. Though Ive seen steelhead caught on corky and yarn, its to be said that steelhead bite 95% on sight as to hunger and Id believe it. Isnt it amazing how serious we can be about a creature with a brain the size of a peanut. :roll:

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Your right O.m if the fish have been beat down they won't be so eager to bite. There will be situations where no matter you do their not going to bite.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Good post about river water action, fish vac'! ...

"They do give some action. As your weight ticks bottom, the corky will speed up, slow down, float up, drop down, and bob side to side. Plus, every rock on the bottom of the river creates subtle current changes around it so there are endless little changes in current speed and direction that your corky drifts into and out of. All that said, I don't like fishing just corkies and yarn." fish vacuum

co'king, when dirft-fishing or side-drifting, your lead also hits stretches of pebble sized gravel bottom which has your corkie making little wiggles as it drifts along. Hard for the fish to resist, under the proper circumstances. Others have the opinion it looks like an egg or other food, which I agree with. While they are past their active feeding cycle up the river, there still remains within the instincts to strike such things. .... What do you do when watching TV and a fly starts buzzing past your face? Most people strike at it in some way.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
must be curiosity although some look somewhat like eggs or egg clusters. I am of the beleif that most of the fish taken with corkie/yarn setups are flossed, intentionally and unintentionally.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you look... doesn't a corky and yarn look pretty close to a good ole jig underwater!?

·
Banned
132 Posts
Clockwork said:
must be curiosity although some look somewhat like eggs or egg clusters. I am of the beleif that most of the fish taken with corkie/yarn setups are flossed, intentionally and unintentionally.
I think a lot of Salmon are flossed with corkies in situations where the are schooled up. Although some Steelhead are flossed, I think the vast majority of them bite. I have personally watched on more than one occasion a Steelhead swim down river to take a corkie or move to a corkie to take it.

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Clockwork said:
I am of the beleif that most of the fish taken with corkie/yarn setups are flossed, intentionally and unintentionally.
Typical goofy response from people who probably only eat tofu and sea weed, also typical of those who think they are a better angler than they really are. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
217 Posts
Many of the fish I catch on corky and yarn are flossed and that doesn't bother me. I'd say 1-3 out of ten in the summer are flossed. Usually your fishing heavier flowing water in the summer as the fish have moved into faster water for oxygen. It's just a reactionary bite for the Steelhead, they see it and react. Or they don't see it and your leader finds the fish, either way it's all good.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Dr Hook said:
Clockwork said:
I am of the beleif that most of the fish taken with corkie/yarn setups are flossed, intentionally and unintentionally.
Typical goofy response from people who probably only eat tofu and sea weed, also typical of those who think they are a better angler than they really are. :mrgreen:
goofy? why does my post elicit this response? I noted that it could go both ways and also regardless of intent. I do not purport to be a great angler or a poor one, i just fish and see what happens.

also why does this belief mean that i am a vegan left wing fill in the blank? perhaps you take it personally because this is your lure of choice? the thread trolled for opinions, that is what you will get.

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Clockwork said:
Dr Hook said:
Clockwork said:
goofy? why does my post elicit this response? I noted that it could go both ways and also regardless of intent. I do not purport to be a great angler or a poor one, i just fish and see what happens.

also why does this belief mean that i am a vegan left wing fill in the blank? perhaps you take it personally because this is your lure of choice? the thread trolled for opinions, that is what you will get.
I cannot figure out how you would know that the fish is not "biting", but rather being flossed? Do you know the fishes intent? Are you a vegan? :D

I've followed your posts for a long time, I know your mentality and I know that the majority of your posts are self righteous in nature.

It's not my lure of choice, but I wouldn't rule it out just because some people like yourself believe that every fish caught on a corkie are flossed either. Like yours, this is just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Dr Hook said:
Clockwork said:
Dr Hook said:
Clockwork said:

I cannot figure out how you would know that the fish is not "biting", but rather being flossed? Do you know the fishes intent? Are you a vegan? :D

I've followed your posts for a long time, I know your mentality and I know that the majority of your posts are self righteous in nature.

It's not my lure of choice, but I wouldn't rule it out just because some people like yourself believe that every fish caught on a corkie are flossed either. Like yours, this is just my opinion. :)
I can see where that could be construed but When it comes to river fishing for anadromous fish I am pessimistic from so much abuse I have witnessed on the rivers. I think that corkies can work. no argument there. The problem is that corkies *are* the setup of choice for most flossers so by that fact alone most of the total fish caught with that method are flossed. its hard to tell if the fish are flossed or not but they wouldnt hit a corky in the salt so what makes them go crazy for it in the river? That last statement applies mainly to salmon. They will no doubt swallow and bit out of curiosity though but anytime someone is cleaning house with a corky i would be suspicious.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts