Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched John Beath's Rivers Inlet "Secrets of the Pros" video and he tied his whole herring rigs so that there was no tag end sticking out on the trailing hook so that he could easily hook the trailing hook in the tail and then "hide" the hook shank inside the herring so that it was streamline and otherwise not visible. If there is a tag end it catches on the skin of the herring and tears it up when you go to place the hook in the tail. I have always cut my tag ends short to avoid this, but he had a different way to tie the leader. On the video, I couldn't tell how he was tying it. it wasn't close enough/clear enough for me to see it. Does anybody have a special way to tie their herring rigs that they would like to share? OR Has anybody every tied their herring rigs how Mr. Beath has shown in his video? It was just something new to try and I was curious what other people are doing. I usually don't run bait, but then again I haven't fished Westport like I plan to this summer.

Tight Lines.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cornfed,

I tie all my herrring leaders tagless. Tie the standard eggloop upper part like normal then trim the tage end offabout 1/4 inch and wrap the bottom part a few extra turns to go over the tag. It normally ends up with 5 wraps on the upper part and 10 on the lower. Did this all last season and never had a break.

BP

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I have always done this on my mooching leaders sometimes I bury the hook in the side of the cutplug/usually when using smaller bait and sometimes I place the hook from the inside of the cutplug out and just let it dangle either way I don't like to rip the skin so I just tie a egg loop but instead of putting the tag end down to the bend of the hook I just put it far enough through the eye of the hook where 8-10 wraps completly cover it then finish with 8-10 of the final wraps. Never have had any kind of a failure doing this and I also out of habit tie all my steelhead leaders the same way.

Cornfed it was just a link to steelhead university showing a close up of the knot, sounds like you already got it under control Tup:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it sounds like you just keep wrapping until the tag is covered? Is it that simple.

Searanger - When I click on the link you posted, I get the dreaded 404 Error: Not Found. Is there another way to get to that link?

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Cornfed said:
So it sounds like you just keep wrapping until the tag is covered? Is it that simple.
Yep, thats how I do it.
I also only go 4 and 4 on my wraps, never had any problems(50lbs kings-200lbs. halibut), I've seen guys using double digit wraps and have to wonder if there planning on lifting engine blocks with them?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
AkKings said:
Cornfed said:
Yep, thats how I do it.
I also only go 4 and 4 on my wraps, never had any problems(50lbs kings-200lbs. halibut), I've seen guys using double digit wraps and have to wonder if there planning on lifting engine blocks with them?
Less wraps larger diameter leader, more wraps smaller diameter leader wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts