Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about a game? Who said and when. No fair googling the answer. Ok to google for your own education but not to take the reins. If that's too restrictive, then whatever works.

"I find the great thing in this world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving.
We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against the it, ...but we must sail, not drift, nor lie at anchor."

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
FDR?

or maybe JFK?

they both loved to sail

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the "Autocrat of the Breakfast Table' Oliver Wendell Holmes, 1858.

I'm not sure how to operate this game. Do we post the answer after say..5 replies and then if no correct ones the first answering post takes the reins? Help
In the meantime:

"The role of government and its relationship to the individual has been changed so radically that today government is
involved in almost every aspect of our lives.
Political, economic and racial forces have developed which we have not yet learned to understand or control. If we are
ever to master these forces, make certain that government will belong to the people, not the people to the government,
and provide for the future better than the past, we must somehow learn from the experiences of the past."

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I've got one... who said:

[again NO googlin']

"Most people are about as happy as they make their minds up to be"

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry. lol I really am not adept at running something like this so any input will be appreciated.

Birch b. I had to do a report in high school on that the fellow that said that. I will keep quiet for a while.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Birch - Your quote is from honest Abe Lincoln.

Sko - I have no Idea who your's is from? conf:

Did you know that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle named his famous sleuth Sherlock after Oliver Wendell Holmes? I'm sure you did. Tup:

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Webo said:
Birch - Your quote is from honest Abe Lincoln.
You sir are correct clap:

Let's make this like the 'Where am I' or 'Name that tune' threads and have the correct responder post the next "quote" to see who knows the author. light:

Yer up Webo: Tup:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
OK... here goes:

"I am certain that after the dust of centuries has passed over our cities, we, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit."

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
conf:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Traut is the man! Tup:

JFK said it in a speech early-on in his presidency.

Anyway... you're up Traut!

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Since one of JFK's goals was to put a man on the moon -

"One of thes days Alice, one of these day! Bam! Zoom! .....To the moon Alice..."

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like the fat man of hustler fame. But I will leave it for another with glee'.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
OK Skor I'll take this one, but after this start chiming in and put up some quotes I know you can come up with a few good ones. wink:

Jackie Gleasons as Ralph Kramden

---------------------------------------

For now here's a good one for the class, who said this:

"...the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so" :?:

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
TRAUT said:
Sounds like RR
Right again Traut clap: I want you on my team for the next Trivial Pursuit game. :mrgreen:

You're up....

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Btw the earlier post about ...lessons of the past was by Bernard Baruch, 11 May 1964, uttered when presenting his papers to Princeton University at the youthful age of 93, The quote was printed in the NY Times.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts