Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in for the bass tourney on Lake Sammamish tomorrow...who else? One single bite can net you $1,000 for the largest bass. Many other prizes, free coffee and doughnuts int he morning, and free dogs and chips at the weigh-in. :mrgreen: Tup:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big Worm,

Hope to see you out there! It is a fun tournament and everyone is encouraged to give it a shot...it is not intended to be a "pro" tournament. The weather is going to be great. Sign-ups are open to all.

See you there, Jordan! Good luck.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a Blast out there today, but nobody froze their bass as the weather was quite nice. Fishing was predictably tough, as there wasn't a single 5 fish limit caught. The winners were Wolski and Hatch with 4 smallmouths. Jordan Doucett (Gamefishin member/3 Rivers Marine) brought in 4 smallmouths for 2nd place and a nice paycheck! Way to go, Jordan! My partner Mike Matkowski and I caught 3 bass for 7 pounds, and ended up in 5th place. I don't know who won the big bass, but I think it was somewhere around 4 pounds, and worth $1,000. Most of the bass were caught in 40-60 feet of water. This will be an annual event, so be sure to come next year!

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Way to go Jordan and Chris.

Always makes me proud when my kid (Jordan) does well.

Maybe he'll give me some of his prize money. LOL

·
Registered
379 Posts
are the docks back to normal yet or still partially submerged?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The docks are still submerged.

(This year I ordered my Ranger Z20 with a factory installed Hamby's Beaching Bumper. It is heavy duty polyurethane bumper matieral epoxied to the keel. Now I don't need to worry about having a dock...I can even beach my boat on a concrete boat ramp.) Tup:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Great job guys. Tup: Once I learn how to catch them in 40+ft of water and sub 50degree water, then I'll enter.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It was definately a fun day on the water, and as Marc said nobody froze their bass off. I believe big fish was 3.9lbs, and we had the second big fish at 3.76lbs, ounces away from $1000! Congrats to Thayne and Mike though, they had some nice fish. We caught all our fish in 50+ with big football heads and KGM Beavers with XXX Crawfish Scent. We had two fish come unbuttoned that would have brought it home for us, but tis this game we call fishin, especially in 50+ feet of water, it happens. Hours and Hours of pre-fishin this last month really payed off! Next up ABA MArch 15-16th on big Samm. See you there!

BTW, water temp is about 43 degrees. Went Back out today to do more research and camera work and got two more decent fish in the 2.5lb range on some isolated rock humps in 45'.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Great job guys. Good to see Wolsky and Hatch win, Wolsky has been doing that alot lately. I was at the weigh-in and it looked like a Well Run tournament. I scored pretty well in the raffle too. Maybe I'll try my luck next year and fish it. I was out on WA for an hour before the tournament and got a 2.0 lb so I feel great about my first bass of 2008.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have to wonder if we should really be encouraging folks to be targeting those deep water bass. It has been know for a long time that bring fish such as bass from those 50 foot depths cause significant mortatities to the fish caught. For example Feathers and Knable, 1983 found that largemouth bass subject to rapid depressure changes that result from bring the fish from a 50 foot depth would experience more than a 40% mortality.

While it is certianly true that "fizzing" the fish will address the most obvious sign of that pressure change - the extended swim bladder. Deflating the bladder or other methods of returning the fish to the depth will "fix" the expanded bladder that is only addressing one factor that contributes to the death of the fish caught from depths. In addition to the expanding bladder there can be significant problems with gas embolsims (gas bubbles in the blood) and internal hemorrhaging. The hemorrhaging results from tissue tears that the expanded bladder causes as it expands. The gas embolisms is much like diver bends as they ascend to rapidly. As with the divers returning the fish to a pressure situation immediatley is key in keeping the gases from forming bubbles in the blood. Those bubbles in circulating through the fish reaching the brain or heart can cause "strokes" or "heart attacks". Of course placing those fish in a live well instread of returning them immediately can be expected to have more of those problems.

While it is certainly legal to target those deep water bass and is and probably should be only limited by each individual angler's fishing ethics I do see some hypocrisy when the same folks that target deep water fish have issues with other anglers killing stringers of bass for the table or one for the wall.

Tight lines
Curt

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Curt, you bring up some good points for consideration and since you did bring this subject up, I will offer my thoughts as well. There is no denial that bringing bass up from 50 foot depths will increase mortality of bass when they are held in a livewell. The question is, how does this impact the fishery? If the body of water has a healthy population, then every thorough study I have participated in or read provides no evidence of damage to the fishery. This is probably the case because of many factors, including that in most fisheries bass are released year-round instead of being harvested. Probably the biggest reason is that bass are very difficult to catch in the winter in deep water, so very few fish are caught in the first place.

Although your comparison to the bends is somewhat parallel, the results in fish is different than in humans due to the vascular differences. There was a thorough study done about 10 years ago in Ontario where bass were caught from multiple depths (as I recall as deep as 65 feet), had their swim bladder deflated with a syringe (fizzed), and returned to the depth they were caught in cages. To the surprise of most the delayed mortality was barely greater than during other seasons. The mortality that did occur was likely due to stress from fighting in fish that were less than optimally healthy. These fish are the casualties that may not have occurred had they not been caught in the winter. The study also documented that the swim bladder would heal from the puncture wound within 24 hours, and even if the swim bladder had a hole in it the size of a dime it was capable of healing over in 3 days.

I don't see the point about "hypocrisy" at all. I think you are probably pointing out that some bass anglers take catch and release to the extreme of being a "religion", and I would agree. I have nothing against harvest, and it is an important management tool that is necessary at times to balance predator populations including bass. But even those who practice catch and release aren't hypocritical by catching winter bass anymore than catching summer bass. There is delayed mortality in the summer also, and since many more bass are active and likely to be caught, in the end the mortality loss may not be any different than in the winter. Consider that during this very tournament, less than 8 bass were harvested, which is less than two person's limit. This occurred after 56 anglers spent a full day on the water enjoying the day pursuing outdoor recreation. This mortality will not hurt the bass population at Lake Sammamish, but look at all the benefits of having held that tournament. It got people outdoors in February instead of being stuck behind a computer or watching fishing on the television. It made a lot of us anglers think and plan for a fishing trip instead of thinking about our upcoming income taxes. It was a fund-raiser for the Evergreen Bass Club which uses the money to promote fishing. It generated a lot of tackle sales which helps our tackle stores at a time of the year in which they are struggling; and it generated Sport Fishing Restoration Act taxes that pays fisheries biologists' wages and pays for habitat work. Having a tournament in February doesn't interfere with other recreational users of the lake as nobody else was using Sammamish except for one hard-core waterskier I observed. I'm sure that each angler can point out many other reasons why they liked being able to compete in a February tournament.

Another point that needs to be made in complimenting the Evergreen Bass Club...at the registration they handed out syringes and on the boat number cards they had a laminated diagram and instructions for properly fizzing your bass. They also had assistance boats on the water to help those who had never done this before. They increased the dead fish penalty to a quarter of a pound so people would pay attention to caring for their bass. The end result is that after the tournament a lot of anglers learned how to fizz a bass, and this will benefit the fishery many times now that these anglers wil know how to do this when they fish during the winter in the future.

The legal harvest of merely two daily limits of bass isn't too much of a price IMHO.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Marc -
I agree that there remains muchto be learned about the impacts from catching bass (and other closed bladder fishes) from depths. However everything that I have seen stresses that the quicker the fish are returned to depth the better for the fish with many preferring the lower the fish via "milk crates" as good way to go.

I believe that the Ontario article you referred to was the one by Kerr in 2001 where he reviewed all information availabe at that time. For those that are interested it can be found at:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/Fizzing.pdf

One of the interesting things in the article is that they asked all the management agains in North America if "they do advocate Fizzing".
All the Cnadian Providences said no and only 7 states (Arizona, California,Georgia, Nebraska, Nevada, south Carolina, and Utah) saying yes.

Some of the latest research indicates that there is also concerns about the cumulative effects of sub-lethal impacts. That calls to question the impact/mortality issue is not only the tournaments but the pre-fishing that happens prior to the tournament.

My point about "hypocrisy" in the bass fishing community is exactly as you alluded to. There are a number of hard core (though probably a minority) bass anglers that see no problem with fishing deep water, bed fishing, haul fish around all day in live wells for a "stringer pictures, etc but then issue with other anglers that keep a fish or otherwise impact their fishing.

Tight lines
Curt

·
Registered
328 Posts
well you two are tough to follow becuase i'm no scientist :D . my thinking is this... if a bass caught from depths is fizzed and kept in a livewell for an extended period of time and lives where stress levels are much higher, then when it is released it should stand a pretty good chance of making it.

troy

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Curt, that is not the report that I was referring to, and I will try and find it when I can. The one you referenced was a compilation of results and opinions from other studies; the one I am referring to was an actual study and the study results, which included disection of bass after being fizzed and kept under water in cages for up to a couple of weeks to study the healing process of the swim bladder. As you stated there is much to learn, and it is somewhat frustrating that with all the interest in sportfishing that we don't have better studies to learn more about popular species like bass and walleye. Much of what we think we know we later learn was BS... As you alluded in your earlier post, each angler has to be comfortable with their own ethics and practices and we all should be thoughtful before condeming the practices of others (including catch & release and kill & grill practices).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts