Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's I need your help. I am ready to upgrade my Spinning Reel and I cannot decide which is best. I was going to go with the Cabela's Prodigy 2500 but they stoped selling it :(

I have a 101/2 foot Loomis and use it for float fishing for Steelhead. My budget is around 100.00 to 120.00.

What suggestions do you have?

·
Banned
109 Posts
Get the Okuma V-System, its an awsome reel. Made for float fishing and as smooth as silk since it has 16 ball bearings. Not to mention that Okuma is great with their product, I had just sent a spinning reel back to them that I had baught 5yrs ago with no reciept, or anything. They told me over the phone to send it in and they will send me a new one within less than two weeks. Theres no way that other companies would allow that, from here on out Okuma and Shimano are the only reels that I'll buy.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I'm gettin the Shimano Stradic ST4000FI for a Christmas present. Not in the named price range at $170 though.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I've been really happy with both my Shimano reels. I have the Sonora 2500FA and the Sedona 1500FB but they're not exactly equipped for salmon fishing so that's why i'm goin with the higher priced (and more ball bearings, heavier drag and more line capacity) Stradic.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I would take a look, at the Pflueger President spinning reels. I used one for 2 seasons of king fishing before I started using casting reels and it is still going strong. Unlike the pflueger casting reels which have weak drags, the spinning reels are just awesome, and for $60.00 it's a good price too.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
gator_79 said:
I would take a look, at the Pflueger President spinning reels. I used one for 2 seasons of king fishing before I started using casting reels and it is still going strong. Unlike the pflueger casting reels which have weak drags, the spinning reels are just awesome, and for $60.00 it's a good price too.
I have a Pfleuger that I picked up onsale at Sportsmans awhile back. I LOVE IT. i also have a Sahara3000(unsure of brand...its finals week give me a break haha :mrgreen: ) that is amazing.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Since MJParnel steered me in the right direction with the recommendation of a Quantum Cabo PTs for using int he salt, I took another of his insights and ordered a Quantum Incyte IT40F spinning reel and I will be featuring it at Rufus Woods in Feb. The reel is $60.00 and it sports 10 stainless steel ball bearings amongst other nice features. I'm sure it will catch all the bigguns at Rufus!

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
The Quantum PT series of spinning reels are currently featuring $15 rebates. You might take a look at the Kinetic, Catalyst, or Energy reels. They're pretty sweet. I'd put them up-against any other reel on the market, even those costing twice as much. No need to take my word for it though, give Mystical Legends a shout and ask him what he thinks about his. Check-out; http://www.quantumfishing.com for more info, or ask me. I'm always happy to help!

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
netboy said:
I have a few Shimano Symetere and I have been real happy with them. I think they are typically $80.
I second The Symetre, that is a sweet reel for a great price

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I'll have to get the required Daiwa plug in. Look at the Daiwa line up. I'm very happy with all the ones that I have.

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
Diawa excellers are great mid priced reels!! You also might want to look at the new shimano saros very sweet but at the upper end of your budget!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Since I saltwater beach fish for salmon a lot I get quick feedback on spinning reel durability. I have a couple of Okuma Integras that are quite corroded but are still serviceable. I have a couple of Shimano Stradics (the white ones) that are corroded junk. I have one of the new gold stradics that will never see saltwater use. Still way too much plastic in the Shimanos. I bought 2 Daiwas this past spring. Can't remember the model, but they are the blue ones. I pounded them this summer throwing buzz bombs and they still look like new and preformed well. They are a bit heavy but aren't full of plastic. My favorites are my pair of Quantum Cabos. They've been thoroughly pounded from Alaska to Cabo San Lucas to Florida. They have a bit of road rash but the drags are still better than my other reels and they preform flawlessly.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
i really like the symmetry's , but you cant go wrong with the sedona, for 50 bucks i dont think you will find a better reel, i have a couple that i been using for a couple years now, very simple nothing too exciting but they get the job done and at a great price :p

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
The Peddler said:
The Quantum PT series of spinning reels are currently featuring $15 rebates. You might take a look at the Kinetic, Catalyst, or Energy reels. They're pretty sweet. I'd put them up-against any other reel on the market, even those costing twice as much. No need to take my word for it though, give Mystical Legends a shout and ask him what he thinks about his. Check-out; http://www.quantumfishing.com for more info, or ask me. I'm always happy to help!
The Quantum PT's are great reels. Its hard to beat Quantums quality nowdays.
I have always been a Shimano fan in the past. But I would take a Quantum PT over a Shimano now.
Shimano still makes a good reel and I would rate them right under the Quantums.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just bought the new Shimano Saros 3000F from Cabelas (catalog) no sales tax and free shipping. It is one step above the Symetra and one step below the stradic. $129.99

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I have gone to the Quantums too. Catalyst PTi 20's and 30's, they are very nice. I fished Shimano Sedonas for a few years, problems with line grooving in the bail roller so both of mine are retired to the parts bin for that reason. Mono did that, hate to think what a braid would do. I really like the ceramic drag and magnetic bail trip on the Quantums and can't see myself going back now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts