Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i cant get out to fish until april cause im working 7 days a week with school after work. i was just wondering where some good fishing would be in april cause that is when i will be unemployed. and i am taking the whole month off for some hardcore fishing. :D i want to get into more river fishing, cause i have not much experience in it, any of the rivers good that time of year?

thanks
j

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Tup: SPRINGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i would almost bet there's a guide on this site that knows where they hide too.

·
Registered
351 Posts
SPRINGERS!!!!SPRINGERS!!!!!SPRINGERS!!! kalama,and the cowlitz are going to be your best bets at that time off the bank,but you do have to drive for those but you wont be disappointed....

·
Registered
351 Posts
the cowlitz is down south exit 69(hwy 12)off of i5,head east on hwy 12 and go about 10 miles maybe and take a right on fuller and that will bring you the salmon hatchery... Tup:

·
Banned
18 Posts
goodness gracious yf. i can't be the only one reading this thread that can't believe you can't break out a map and find out where the heck the most popular steelhead river in the state is. don't mean to be so negative, but a guys got to show at least a little effort here.

·
Registered
867 Posts
If you don't want to drive far try fishing local lakes(that are open) for rainbows or other trout. April is usually when it starts getting really good.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Big Nookie said:
If you don't want to drive far try fishing local lakes(that are open) for rainbows or other trout. April is usually when it starts getting really good.
thats a good option I would second it. If its too far a drive, during springer time youll definitely be able to find someone to carpool with to the cowlitz. Might have to drive part of the way South to meet them but for the most part these guys on the board arent too weird wink:
lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
havent had a chance to look at a map................ but i know trout are gonna be biting good in april, and i know alot of lakes that produce good ones too. but im trying to get out in the salmon fishery more cause i never had any time to so. i know if i just wanna go fishing i will go get some trout. but i wanna try new stuff.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Hope this helps on how to get you there, now i guess ill share a little bit about what to do when you do arrive.

there is a very large hold at the deadline where the fish STACK up, on a good day.....

I dont know how much you have salmon fished, but free drifting is simple, Your main line is tied directly to a 2/0 or 3/0 hook. Light main line is key as you will need to cast quite a distance. With a long rod, you are able to compensate for the light line, and do alright. Most people use either the St Croix avid 13 ft 4-8 lb rod, or the Shimano clarus 12'6, 4-8 with 8 lb izor. You put a knarly glob of eggs on and initiate a launching sequence as far out as possible, and as far up as possible. I once saw a guy hook 6 fish in 6 casts doing this, handing the rod off to other people once he got the fish close enough to see if he wanted to keep it or not, and keeping two brightest ones he wanted. The limit is two adults and its rare to actually land that many, although i did have a few days where i hooked several. If you are not casting far enough, some people will crimp small split shots onto their mainline to add a little weight.

When you get a hit you will know it. The eggs are just floating or hovering through the water, and will ocassionally hit rocks and what have you, but a bite will be siminlar to a huge trout bite. Its good to wait about 10 seconds before setting the hook, the fish dont spit the bait most of the time, and 10 seconds will let them get the hook good and deep.

here is most of the hole from down below, near the old deadline.

You will need to check that the rule is still in order for the 100 ft buffer below the dam. If it is still in effect by then, this is the place to catch them.

This was a fish caught late in the season, a darker springer, weighing 24 lbs, But you can see the meat was RED! and thats what these tasty buggers are all about!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
holy cowlitz hickville! If you can't get there now you should probably just stay home! I never knew the road turned into a roller coaster at the end though... did you have a seizure on paint or something??

Thats the name of the game... and to get to blue creek just take a right hand turn off 12 onto Brim road right at the intersection by stanleys 76th station... at the end take another right and go a mile or so, and make a left turn into the trout hatchery-

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Thanks for letting out the word on my favorite secret hole knucklehead. :evil: Jeez, why don't yo just draw them a frickin map or something. I guess you can do whatever you want though. wink:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Is all that legal now?

I remember back when we used to take small rowboats across to fish the south side below the deadline over there. But they closed it as of May 1, years ago.
I watched a couple of guys cast up into that pool and get tickets for doing it years ago too.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Red Neckersom said:
Thanks for letting out the word on my favorite secret hole knucklehead. :evil: Jeez, why don't yo just draw them a frickin map or something. I guess you can do whatever you want though. wink:
I wont be there, ill be with you in our other secret spot with the other 500 people that dont know about it :oops: I could be like you, drive down the road, park on the side next to that guard rail, and walk toward the water, cast, retrieve, cast agian..... LOL ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts