Where to get prawns | Gamefishin.com

Where to get prawns

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by steelyden1, Apr 25, 2011.

1. steelyden1

steelyden1 Active Member

Hey all. Hitting drano this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows where I can pick up some arctic prawns to cure up for drano. In the past, my buddy always took care of that, but this year, he can't find any that isn't in a 20# box. I hate to buy precured bait from sportco, but if that's all there is, guess I'll have to. Any input is gladly accepted. Thanks!
    SD

2. dmack

dmack Active Member

I got a couple boxes from Ocean Beauty Seafood down in Ballard last year, but they don't seem to carry them this year. A couple of the seafood shops between Oak Harbor and I-5 carry some fresh prawns that were pretty similiar. Good Luck in your search !!

3. River Jim

River Jim Well-Known Member

Yardbirds in Chehalis but call ahead to special order...........The tackle store between close on the main highway several miles before the Cowlitz Salmon hatchery exit.........They sell various sizes so you can mix them up.........it's based on per lb. price............hope this helps..........RJ out.

4. steelyden1

steelyden1 Active Member

Thanks dmack and Jim. I shouldn't have waited so long to get some, but up to today, we weren't sure we were going. I'm still searching

5. that_dude

that_dude New Member

what about a grocery store? or are those not the same thing?

6. Shortbus

Shortbus New Member

Not sure where your from, but BC Angling in Gresham has some great ones this year.

7. steelyden1

steelyden1 Active Member

The prawns we'd use are head and tentacles intact, so no on the grocery prawns that_dude, but thanks
    Shortbus, I live in the sumner/puyallup area...a bit too far, but thanks! Tup:

I

8. dmack

dmack Active Member

Steely, if your just going for a day or two, I would stop at the little store in Home Valley between Stevenson and Drano and pick up a quart of their prawns. Early in the year I would be sure to drag a cut plug herring spinner rig besides the prawns. Don't forget the meat-wrapped Maglips too. I'm getting myself pumped up for a Drano run... Good Times !!

9. steelyden1

steelyden1 Active Member

Got all of that except the prawns. Are those in quart jars cured in water in red or green? Not a bad idea and might just do that. We'll be cruisin thru there around 5:30 am or so. Do you u think they're open that early? Otherwise, I could get them after fishing Saturday and use them Sunday. Thanks dmack!

10. dmack

dmack Active Member

The store there doesn't open until 0700. The prawns I've used from there are pretty dark pink/purple. The juice in there will stain......well, everything. Good Luck !

11. steelyden1

steelyden1 Active Member

Perfect. Maybe I'll take a break from fishing and pick some up while down there. We'll try everything in the box and see what happens. Thanks for the info!

12. dmack

dmack Active Member

You gotta at least have them to scare the herring and plugs into doing work for ya !!

13. steelyden1

steelyden1 Active Member

they should be scared...very scared wink:

14. madcapmag

madcapmag Active Member

How big/small do you need them? If you go to some of the bigger Asian markets (H-Mart, Paldo World) they will have fresh, head on shrimp that you could cure, maybe.

15. GreatNWRiversGS

GreatNWRiversGS Well-Known Member

Sorry i could not hook up with ya and get you some of mine, good luck this weekend