Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i`m looking for a new yamaha 150 four stroke 25 inch . so far the prices range from $9000 on the east coast to $12,000 on the west coast. i will be at the boat show saturday looking for a good deal! what do you think is a good price? the best price i have got so far is $13,000 installed, with everything needed, out the door.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ed's Marine Superstore will give you the bottom dollar price. They list the 150 4 stroke at 9,000.
I bought 90HP 2 stroke from them in 2005 and I was OK with the service. It cost 300.00 to ship, and I picked it up at a local dealer and rigged it myself.
It will cost you more to ship the 150. -let's say 500.00 or so, and even if you payed 1,000 to have it rigged, that's still 2,500 less than the 13K you were quoted.
The other factor is the controlls and guages. -this will run you more -another 1000ish if you don't already have them.
If you have the receiving dealer on this end do the rigging you may finagle a net savings, but how much is the hassle worth? -Especially if you have to lug around an almost 500lb engine all over the place to get it set up.You will also be moved higher up on the service list if you establish a rapport with a local dealer.
Kitsap Marine in Port Orchard set me up and rigged my new boat. I was more than happy with their technician's work.
Give Matt or Orin a call over there and see if they can make you a deal on an F150.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I am ordering that exact motor tomorrow for a friend of mine. He is putting it on a new WIllie Raptor that is being built now.

If you want the price I got PM me and we can talk.

I will get you a price.

Tiller or remote?

Installed?

oldguy

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Haro, how did you get Ed's to ship a motor here? I called them last spring about buying a motor and they wouldn't even ship to a local dealer for me. I even had the shipping handled, all they would have had to do was put it on the truck. They said that they could not sell me one because it would infringe on local dealers territory and it was a Yamaha policy. Brown's landing down in Scappoose as some decent pricing as well. As for controls and guages, I recommend taking a look at Ebay for controls asthey are much cheaper there and if you dig around the internet for a Yamaha digital tach, they can be found at big savings (almost 50%). That tach is over $450 new and I found one for $245 out of Florida.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
Haro, how did you get Ed's to ship a motor here? I called them last spring about buying a motor and they wouldn't even ship to a local dealer for me. I even had the shipping handled, all they would have had to do was put it on the truck. They said that they could not sell me one because it would infringe on local dealers territory and it was a Yamaha policy. Brown's landing down in Scappoose as some decent pricing as well. As for controls and guages, I recommend taking a look at Ebay for controls asthey are much cheaper there and if you dig around the internet for a Yamaha digital tach, they can be found at big savings (almost 50%). That tach is over $450 new and I found one for $245 out of Florida.
When I bought my Yamahas,I called Eds for pricing. They didn't have any issues with sending them across country. It ended up that the Sumner NR store had a price that was nearly as cheap as Eds.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help guys, any thoughts on towing my boat to oregon to have it done? it would save a thousand on taxes!

·
Registered
474 Posts
3 rivers marine has some nice advertised prices on the motor you are looking for. Worth a call...

·
Registered
183 Posts
D.B.,
Like I said I purchased the motor from Ed's in 2005, so perhaps their policy has changed?
-As I recall, the biggest hassle at the time was a couple of days of lag time between the time they received my money and the time the outboard was shipped.
-The local dealer also charged me a handling fee. At the time I believe it was 125.00 or so, so they weren't completely out of the loop financially.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Well either the policy changed or they didn't want to sell me one. It worked out ok for me though. I got a very slightly used 2005 for almost $3000 less than new with controls and rigged it myself and the motor I bought was located less than 2 miles from my home. I'm happy and they lost some money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts