Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fish sekiu & neah bay when they are open and know where and what to use but have never fished the sound.looking forward to the opener in APRIL,but not sure where to fish.Can anyone give me so ideas where to fish.THANKS

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FB i'm not sure where that is at?Have you ever fish there?I take it that is is northern sound but where,east,west,alittle south or north.Can you direct me.Thanks

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I am no expert in Halibut, but I would say that most of the Halibut are going to be north Sound. I would also add Hein Bank.

Don't expect anything with the same quantity of fish as out of Neah Bay.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
mutiny is right above the mouth of hood canal on the west side of whidby, i have heard of a 100+ pounder caught there a few years back

·
Registered
328 Posts
two years ago of my customers caught a 100+ pound hali in Mutiny Bay. His pic is in Holiday market. Lst year a guy caught one that was over 100 lbs as well. Story goes that he was in a 14 foot Boston Whaler by him self. I did see pics of the fish, just not sure about the 14 ft. whaler by yourself story. But...... we are fisherman :lol:

·
Registered
328 Posts
I don't know about a "honey hole". But they do catch Halis there. Can't remeber the name of the bay just south of Mutiny, but it produces some butts as well. I am pretty sure it is Useless Bay.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I found that those Fish'n Maps they sell at most sporting goods stores are a good source to get started with fishing spots. The usual hali spots are marked on them. All of the banks are good spots to try, Hein, Eastern, Dallas and Partridge. Any underwater 'humps' that you see on the fishing map can be potential halibut spots. Mark a couple of them on your plotter, go to them and drift over them. Make a couple of drifts and if you don't get bit, move to your next spot. Don't spend alot of time in one spot if there's no action. These fish aren't picky eaters, if you're not getting bit, then they're not there.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I would add middle bank to the list, just of the western curve of Whidbey island. like ones metioned already Hien, Dallas, East, there are more places..lots more, but they are not as popular or dont have names, I always enjoy finding a "hump" on the plot and checking it out myself vice follwing the ussual crowd to the ussual spots. Unless of course the halis are there.

To elaborate on the story of the guy in the whaler. NOt sure if that was a whaler but it was a smaller 14-16 footer. He caught it 600 yards off the ferry dock (kingston) the ferry actually slowed down to watch him land it and gave a big blow of the horn. it weighed 114 ish lbs. He is one of my buddys neighbor. Ill see if I can find the pic.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I believe that it was the keysone ferry. That area of admarilty inlet has alot of humps and areas that are fishy. I have never fished it myslelf but there are always reports comming from that area. The holiday market out of Mt.vernon/burlington puts out a news letter that is very informative for northern sound, san juans, and east straigts. If you drive up to anacortes its the little place behind the holiday market gas station. Take a look at the wall on the outside it defines most of us perfectly. "Give a man a fish and he will eat today. Teach a man to fish and he will spend a lot of money on tackle." Good luck out there.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
totten inlet.....but seriously if you want to target them you are going to have to be in the straights or directly adjacent to the straits to hope to catch one. everyonece in a whlile you'll hear of one caught down south, tacoma narrows for example but mutiny bay is as far south as you can expect to have a chance.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Robert said:
a couple years back didnt a gamefisher catch a butt in the south sound by pt. defiance?
yes I remember that, I think that would be so cool to bring home an MA11/13 butt.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Unless Puget Sound halibut were effected by the bottom draggers, I don't know why there wouldn't be a health population in the Sound. There are plenty of deep, flat spots and I don't think they'd have problem finding food.

·
Registered
357 Posts
What about Saratoga passage in the areas that are 400+ft deep?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Also heard that the commercials used to catch them off the south end of Hat Island.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have heard that there used to be a commercial fishery off of Quartermaster Harbor. There used to be a picture on the wall at Point Defiance Boat house of a big halibut that was caught there years ago. I would think that there could be some there again, but who knows. I figured one day I would go out and try to target them there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts