Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,273 Posts
That's just one fishery! And some dope from the state sticking up for the Commi's again saying impact of that fishery is not really an issue to stocks of Wshington and Oregon. Bunch of freakin clown: Some of these rivers one fish or two fish taken hurts.


Alaska is not only destroying it's own fisherys but the lower 48's as well. Not to mention Canada.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts
Tweit says 40,000 or so Chinook that belong down here is not hurting our resource? is he that fukin stuppid? 40,000 seems like alot to me!!!







The studies also indicate about 40 percent of the fish caught in a prime summer harvest zone of the Bering Sea would have returned to British Columbia or the Pacific Northwest, according to Jim Seeb, a University of Washington fishery professor who helped conduct the genetic testing.



**Those findings have heightened concerns in the Pacific Northwest and California, where chinook are prized by sport, tribal and commercial fishermen. Some chinook stocks are listed under the federal Endangered Species Act and have been the focal point of a lengthy and expensive rebuilding effort.

"For these fish, it does not appear that the trawl harvest is a major factor impeding recovery," said Bill Tweit, a Washington state representative to the Federal Fishery Council. "But that doesn't let us off the hook. You have to address every source of mortality in order to get recovery."**
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,303 Posts
fishguidebrian said:
Tweit says 40,000 or so Chinook that belong down here is not hurting our resource? is he that fukin stuppid? 40,000 seems like alot to me!!!
Even if you break it up between all the rivers in the NW that's a lot!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,360 Posts
they should make it to where you can sell your bycatch, they dont let them do that as of know. i believe this would make things alot better because you could take that money from bycatch to help the fisheries and te fisherman.

just my .2 cents since i have seen first hand what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
Fish Boy said:
they should make it to where you can sell your bycatch, they dont let them do that as of know. i believe this would make things alot better because you could take that money from bycatch to help the fisheries and te fisherman.

just my .2 cents since i have seen first hand what happens.
They should put a stop to the dragging industry (maybe retrain like the loggers) and keep our resources in United States instead of sending them overseas.And also the bycatch is not entirely bycatch at all with the sophisticated equipment they are using on those trawlers I'm pretty darn sure they know or have a good idea of what species of fish that they are fishing on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,360 Posts
like i said just my .2 i just say this because i am in this profession and would like to get many years of commercial and sport fishing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Well if the state does not put fish in the rivers they dont come back!! If you look what Oregon does and see their returns I think it says it all. If you look at the rivers with real hatchery programs they have great returns. If you set back and do nothing and think the salmon will just come back on their own YOUR WRONG. Just my thoughts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
IMO, the reason for the accidental catching of chinook in different areas then before is just natural instinct. They are simply following food patterns and they change over the years, therefore the predators follow suit. I really think this happens more then is written in the paper. This is probably just a drop in the bucket that happened to get caught. :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fish Boy said:
they should make it to where you can sell your bycatch, they dont let them do that as of know. i believe this would make things alot better because you could take that money from bycatch to help the fisheries and te fisherman.

just my .2 cents since i have seen first hand what happens.
FB---Do you honestly think the numbers would go down? If they could sell them we'd be eatin' Gortons Salmon sticks rather than those putrid Godforesaken crap they/you call fish sticks. conf:

Yeah that would be a disincentive for those honest commies.

Thanks for playin' though. wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,273 Posts
Fish Boy said:
they should make it to where you can sell your bycatch, they dont let them do that as of know. i believe this would make things alot better because you could take that money from bycatch to help the fisheries and te fisherman.

just my .2 cents since i have seen first hand what happens.
I think the problem would be that SOME of the commi's would then target the higher revenue fish and call it bycatch instead of the fishing real target species.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,273 Posts
hiredgun said:
Well if the state does not put fish in the rivers they dont come back!! If you look what Oregon does and see their returns I think it says it all. If you look at the rivers with real hatchery programs they have great returns. If you set back and do nothing and think the salmon will just come back on their own YOUR WRONG. Just my thoughts.
Not bad but most of Oregon had horrible returns of Chinook and Coho this year. WHY? ..Maybe harvested at sea?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,360 Posts
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
Fish Boy said:
they should make it to where you can sell your bycatch, they dont let them do that as of know. i believe this would make things alot better because you could take that money from bycatch to help the fisheries and te fisherman.

just my .2 cents since i have seen first hand what happens.
I think the problem would be that SOME of the commi's would then target the higher revenue fish and call it bycatch instead of the fishing real target species.
never thought about that. or they could put polack on ifq like crab and hailibut, in fact they are gonna do that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,154 Posts
My friend is a biologist and worked quality control on the big American seafoods draggers , what she told me is they have two full time observers on board so they can get an accurate count of by catch , also there has been some abuse of the fish counts , So i wonder if they take that into consideration , Also I use to work Ak ,Not as a dragger but I heard they use to have a buzzer on the NMFS observer's door so they could cheat the bycatch issue , this is just a fleet rumor ,
But I believe there would be cheating the bycatch issue because when they exceed their bycatch the area gets closed ,However they can't sell the salmon legally , their fine would be huge if they got caught ,but Nothing would surprise me ,
And Fish boy if draggers could sell salmon they would all be dead , Dragging is the number one most effient fishery there is , I have been on crab boats and longliners , but not draggers .I have heard that sonar does not tell you what species it is , unlike what sea ranger wrote , However The area or length of time it takes you to run over a huge school of pollock Plus the depth they are concentrated at tell you what it is likely to be , I believe pollock are in the upper water like 100 feet or less wich salmon are there to feed also ,I don't think they set on the wrong school of fish intentionally , But I have other friends that work as deck hands on draggers , they told me they have seen it happen accidently , And they can't sell the fish and the dragger kills them so they just let them go ,
The reality is common sense, are the draggers going to report all the bycatch and get closed down , or, are they going to cheat ? The answer is obvious
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,613 Posts
codliveroil said:
My friend is a biologist and worked quality control on the big American seafoods draggers , what she told me is they have two full time observers on board so they can get an accurate count of by catch , also there has been some abuse of the fish counts , So i wonder if they take that into consideration , Also I use to work Ak ,Not as a dragger but I heard they use to have a buzzer on the NMFS observer's door so they could cheat the bycatch issue , this is just a fleet rumor ,
But I believe there would be cheating the bycatch issue because when they exceed their bycatch the area gets closed ,However they can't sell the salmon legally , their fine would be huge if they got caught ,but Nothing would surprise me ,
And Fish boy if draggers could sell salmon they would all be dead , Dragging is the number one most effient fishery there is , I have been on crab boats and longliners , but not draggers .I have heard that sonar does not tell you what species it is , unlike what sea ranger wrote , However The area or length of time it takes you to run over a huge school of pollock Plus the depth they are concentrated at tell you what it is likely to be , I believe pollock are in the upper water like 100 feet or less wich salmon are there to feed also ,I don't think they set on the wrong school of fish intentionally , But I have other friends that work as deck hands on draggers , they told me they have seen it happen accidently , And they can't sell the fish and the dragger kills them so they just let them go ,
The reality is common sense, are the draggers going to report all the bycatch and get closed down , or, are they going to cheat ? The answer is obvious
I did not say that the sonar would tell you what species of fish they are please re read what I said and point out where I said that. observers are human money talks don't be surprised if more bycatch is sold than you think and don't be surprised by them targeting fish they can get more money for whether it be illegal or not your talking about big corporations operating these boats a little slap on the wrist once in a while is nothing
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
101,632 Posts
I think this waht would happen also.... The pollak would become the by-catch!
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
Fish Boy said:
they should make it to where you can sell your bycatch, they dont let them do that as of know. i believe this would make things alot better because you could take that money from bycatch to help the fisheries and te fisherman.

just my .2 cents since i have seen first hand what happens.
I think the problem would be that SOME of the commi's would then target the higher revenue fish and call it bycatch instead of the fishing real target species.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13 Posts
SeaRanger21 said:
Fish Boy said:
they should make it to where you can sell your bycatch, they dont let them do that as of know. i believe this would make things alot better because you could take that money from bycatch to help the fisheries and te fisherman.

just my .2 cents since i have seen first hand what happens.
They should put a stop to the dragging industry (maybe retrain like the loggers) and keep our resources in United States instead of sending them overseas.And also the bycatch is not entirely bycatch at all with the sophisticated equipment they are using on those trawlers I'm pretty darn sure they know or have a good idea of what species of fish that they are fishing on.
Curious, what do you do for a living? They don't allow bycatch to be sold cause that would give the big compnies, Tyson, Ocean Beauty, ANYO, etc more reason to screw the workers in the industry. I'll bet you would sqauk pretty loud if a bunch of half informed folks destroyed your industry. :evil:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top