Where can I get Chicago style Neon relish in WA? | Gamefishin.com

Where can I get Chicago style Neon relish in WA?

Discussion in 'The Outdoor Chef! Great outdoor cooking' started by Iceshark, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Iceshark

Iceshark New Member

My fav Chicago hot dog place up north is closing. I asked him where I can get the NEON GREEN VIENNA PICKLER RELISH he has been using and he said he gets it in bulk from a Resturant supply store. He said he has never found in stores outside of the midwest.

I have the seeded buns local and sport peppers. I NEED MY RELISH wink: Yes I know it can be made with blue food coloring,. But that is cheating. clown: Is there any stores here in Seattle area that carry it that anyone may know of ?

Thanks!

2. HOBO98498

HOBO98498 Well-Known Member

Ice, the blue food coloring isnt cheating. That is how all of it is made. The base color to get it green is from the use of the spice tumeric. Blue food coloring is added to the yellow tumeric to turn it green. It is the tumeric and corn starch that makes it glossy or gives it the sheen of the relish and the blue that finishes it to green.
    Green Neon is very easy to make, but you have to can it to preserve for any length of time. I have made it and ate it fresh off the stove. Really good stuff.
    So, that really doesnt answer your question about being availible. Amazon is in Washington. Man they are really proud of their product. You can make it for a whole hell of a lot cheaper than this http://www.amazon.com/Vienna-Chicago-St ... B003Z5GUWY Here is another one that is a little cheaper. Not sure about it's quality http://puckeredpickle.elsstore.com/view ... 871&cid=46

3. Iceshark

Iceshark New Member

Thanks buddy! Tup: Wow your right about it being pricey on Amazon! Darn I just can not phathom paying that much for a jar! The puckered one is cheaper but I really like the Vienna brand relish. Wonder if Double D meats might have it? I did some searches and found others over the years looking for it in Seattle. Some claim Whole Foods carried it at times as well as some smaller Seattle markets. Well maybe I will just make some out of my fav local relish. I thank you for taking the time to research it for me. Tup:

4. HOBO98498

HOBO98498 Well-Known Member

Ice, if I end up making it I will let you know. I'll send you a pint

5. Iceshark

Iceshark New Member

Thanks sir Tup: I did call around today and no luck.

Peace

6. donno

donno Active Member

My mom make green tomato relish. For hot dogs and such there's nothing better.

7. SeaRanger21

SeaRanger21 Active Member

Ice find out what restaurant supply he was getting it from and post it for me. There are a few supply stores open to the public also.

8. Iceshark

Iceshark New Member

He called it. Restaurant Wholesalers like that was the name of it? I will ask him again.

I did find it for $7 bucks on Ebay from Arizona. However with shipping that's 15 bucks for one jar. Still thinking about it.

9. Bubba

Bubba New Member

Iceman.............. Here is some info on the relish you are looking for ... Keep in mind that prior to it being named Neon relish, it was called Atomic relish, because it was invented during the Atomic bombing era..... here is the ingredients in case you want to try and make some for yourself.

The relish. In Chicago the pickle relish is brilliant kryptonite green. Sweet and tart, pickle relishes are typically made from chopped cucumbers, bell peppers, green tomatoes, onions, distilled vinegar, and sugar. For the kryptonite green stuff, Blue No. 1 food coloring is added. If you can't find it, and outside of Chicago it is pretty scarce.
    Good luck ..... hope this helps a bit.

10. Iceshark

Iceshark New Member

Great article! Thanks Bubba Tup:

11. bing

bing Active Member

12. Stonefish

Stonefish Well-Known Member

13. Iceshark

Iceshark New Member

14. mics

mics Active Member