Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to visit a freind and fish with him on his local water , the elocaman river and want i saw just was horible !
In the last few yrs a new
Land Management company
took over the logging in the upper vally now whiether they are doing anthing wrong or not I cant tell you because they lock the gate on the road so NO locals can even drive up the vally and see !

That whole river system is DESIMATED ! From a few miles above the Hatchery to the bottom of the river MUD !
from 6inches deep to feet deep of silt ,the gravel in the river , covered , the hatchery 2 yrs in a row filled with mud !
a pile of trees and scap wood from UP RIVER that was 70 yards across and close to 100 yrds high !
I was Just horible to think what fishin will be like in the yrs to come !
As sportsman I wish I could do more to help but I just dnt know what .

fished hard all weekend , got 1 9-10 lb native hen

dave

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
Thats just sad what they can do to a river system ...

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Ya, its been tough fishing with all the crappy water and mud, thats for sure. It's really a shame.

I was told it was just a landslide effecting the river this year. conf:

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
The removal of trees could have caused the mudslide. They log it, remove the stumps and never consider what sort of impact it might have in conjuntion with Mother Nature.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not to defend the Loggers ,but they had a huge mudslide above the Elochoman River, it really screwed up the whole river! The high water also put a lot of wood,stumps and trees into the holes. It will take a few years to get it out of the river, what concerns me is they have closed the Beaver Creek hatchery( numbers way down!) and the housing that is being built along the river with no access to the river!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I suspect that if you checked you would find that the land was mostly logged according to the State's forest rules. Any recent logging would have been down under the rules that we through our legislators have made the law here in the State under the Forest and Fish laws. Anyone remember the TV ads saying what a good job the timber industry is doing under Forest and Fish.

Just like better fish management if we want better land management (consider other resources other than extracting timber) we have to get the source of our laws - our elected officals.

Tight lines
Curt

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's not just the Elocumon, the Naselle got hit, Willapa hit hard, the Chehalis from the head waters to Chehalis is devistated and wont clear up for maybe 2 yrs. if then. Iv'e never seen so much woody debris in a river before, Bunker cr. (a major silver spawning trib.) is totaly blocked by a huge log jam that is backing water a mile up stream into the farmers fields. :( sick:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Here are some photos from the 2006 flood during modern elk Season. That year was far worse at the same few week interval than this year. That creek/River called elochoman was a Raging arse mayhem. This railroad bridge is the one down low they have removed this year. The on photo is from out on the bridge looking up riverriver.. I had to get off the bridge because a huge log was coming down the river, and rammed the bridge. I stayed for a few hours waiting to see if some of the HUGE logs that were ramming the bridge would knock it out. These HUGE logs came from a mudslide that shutdown all logging about 5-10 miles up the road that year. The logging was shut down for a few days because a whole area was washed out from massive rains, and I couldn't get to where I wanted to hunt.

I don't mind logging as long as they re-plant and have a plan. It would be nice keep Hancock, and weyerhauser in business so they don't sell the property off to a bunch of developers that turn the same land into housing developements. The inhabitants of those developements will eventually keep all of us from entering their woods, and keep us from doing mean things to their animals.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Elochoman River,
Had some huge winter steel started fishing it back in 1975 Loggers decimated it all along the upper river in the middle 1990's. Steelhead we caught were over 20 lbs. had some on that were bigger than that spooled me and kept on going. Summer run was hot fishing after MT. Saint Helens blew they put a ton of Summer Steel in there to keep the strain alive. My first choice after a good rain one of the first streams to come into shape after a deluge. Not now what a travesty! :(

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I've been told the slide on the Elochoman was on a slope that was not harvested in the last 60 years near the 23 tree. The locked gates are a product of our own actions. We picked up and hauled out 19 tons of abandoned appliances, 61 mattresses, 9 abandoned cars, 2 abandoned motorcycles,3 Meth lab tag along trailers (after HazMat remediation) and 11 full size dump truck loads of various and sundry litter from the White River Tree Farm the year they locked the gates. It was a big pricetag. The ones that were identified were by and large all "locals" from the Enumclaw/Buckley/Greenwater area, if they insist on dumping their trash in the woods, you'd think they wouldn't leave the mail, credit card receipts and kids report cards in the trash bags with the dirty diapers. But I digress, forest practices are getting better, and accountability is there, more stringent rules get results. I've bought a 2x4 or two in the last year and am a fan of TP, It has to come from somewhere, and like a previous post said, the laws are there, I won't trash a group of people that work hard to provide a product that virtually all of us use daily.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have seen some places on the Elochoman where it should not have been touched. Some areas with sensitive slopes logged right up to the river but they did replant it. If you look at the Chehalis right now it is a mess. Any kind of salmon restoration on the Chehalis River Valley in the last ten years had to be impacted. Time will tell could be some Chinook closures on the Chehalis system in the future. :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cambell group (sp?) probley manages this land as they run most of the top end of Willipa Hills now. They are walk-in only and always have been which can be kind of nice in hunting season.

As to the impact of logging I think the current "forest and fish" laws are more harmful than the past. You have to remember you are dealing with a different forest now than you were 10 years ago. In these days the "super forests" are coming of age.
These are the timber stands of white fir or hemlock that were planted 35-45 years ago. These trees were geneticaly engineered for quick tree only growth. They are not designed to be structurely sound nor to have expanding root structure. They were planted 2 feet from each other and create a canopy that chokes everything out below it. In todays law loggers are required to leave a ripairian zone (RMZ) 200ft wide down any "fish bearing" water. These zones are made of trees that have no structure to the roots as they have never had to take the brunt of winds to their structure. So what do you think happens when you get 10 inches of rain over 10 days and then a major snow melting and rain event? You have water hitting bare slope that has 0 foilage to slow it down. THe water then gets to the creek but had to travel through bare dirt beacuse every tree in the area of the creek is blown over from the wind. At this point trees and root wads start slipping down the grade to create log jams. These log jams burst and huge amounts of water and debris rush to the next choke point and happen over and over again. Just ask the people in Pe Ell and Boisfort.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
i have a couple gripes about logging outfits. 1) they should be required to manage the land as a "FOREST" and not simply a tree farm. a forest is not just a thousand same aged douglas firs. 2) they should be required to use *ALL* of the wood they chop down ie use the slash piles for paper etc. and 3) if they are going to monopolize huge tracts of land they need to allow public access like they used to.

·
Registered
319 Posts
"a pile of trees and scap wood from UP RIVER that was 70 yards across and close to 100 yrds high !"

I would like to see a picture of that...... :roll:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love the locked gates. The walkin only areas are the only places I hunt.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
There needs to be a huge buffer zone law set for these logging outfits. Look at any river on the coast and you'll see this crap. It's sick!! This pic doesn't show the other several hundred trees that blew into this river this last storm. Nothing to block the wind. Also mud slides that have been caused by logging the hills that are to steep for anything to grow back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts