Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how much does your vests weigh? Is there anyone else out there that has everything imaginable in their vest, or am I the only one?

Here is what I carry:

• Several pre-tied jigs bait hooks, drift rigs, etc.
• Jig box w/ way more jigs than I need
• Jig accessory box i.e. in-line weights, float stops, swivels, split shot, etc.
• Spinners & Spoons
• Way to many Corky’s, Rags, Pink worms, Trout beads
• Couple different scents
• Scissors, lead master pliers, small 2 blade Swiss Army knife for gutting & bleeding
• 1 spare Symetre spool, and 1 spare Curado spool
• 2 small (kitchen size) garbage bags and a few ½ gallon freezer bags
• Pen w/fishing license
• Hook file
• Needle for backlashes or any other thing a needle will come in handy for
• Few different weights of Maxima UG leader spools
• Small pocket first-aid kit
• Sun screen & lip balm
• Camera
• Pre-cut and hole punched pencil lead in assorted sizes
• Bait of choice for the day
• And what ever else I’ve missed

My vest usually weighs in between 10-12 lbs. and I also pack 3 rods; Float rod, Drift rod, and spinner/spoon rod.

I guess I like to be prepared, :| anyone else as bad as or worse than me?

Jig'n

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not sure...

It has been dead, or at least smeels like it, since about 198? nuke:
B.W.

G

·
Lets just say I had to devise a pulley system to hang it up. Hangers weren't strong enough. And NASA wants to possibly use a replica of it for their next trip to the moon to keep the astronauts from floating away.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
my vest was 22lbs then i woke up and quit packing all that stuff i didn't use. it used to kill my shoulders after a long day on the river. now i use a small fanny pack and i am so much happier. for example if i was going steelheading in the morning i would bring 2 rods{ 1 jig/plastics and 1 for hardware} i have about 12 jigs with me that i have extreme confidence in,a bass pro shop spoon/spinner zip case full of hardware {if you throw hardware you need a bass por shop spinner wallet,best $10 you will ever spend} a 6 pack of floats,a spool of leader, leatherman,a small box of hooks/corkies/splitshots/pencil lead and a half dozen bags of worms. now my pack weighs about 5 or 6lbs and is now pleasent to fish with all day. i used to be a "what if" fisherman and carry the kitchen sink,what if i needed it. but now i know what is productive,what i have confidence in and i can't remember when the last time i said "what if" i had this or that with me would i have caught more fish. i am not knocking anyone who carries a ton of gear,we are fisherman and we have tons of gear,but i think simplifying my gear was the best thing i have ever done. it make for a better day on the river. i wish i would have done it years ago.

i do keep back up gear in my truck,spare spools,rod,eyes, line etc.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have been working on thinning mine out lately. For years I have been stuck on drift fishing. Lately though I have been focusing on new methods, specifically jig fishing. So I took everything out and only have been carrying floats, jigs, and everything related to float fishing. Of course I still have to carry one leader wallet with pre-tied drift rigs just for back up. wink: This forces me to work on this style of fishing.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
No jigs/floats/bobber stops. Got myself a wading jacket and am trying to rely on just taking what I can fit in it. So far I can get a couple small plano boxes with all my terminal tackle plus some hardware, leader wallet, slinkies, pliers and a plastic bag or 2. If I've got my spinning set up I'll take a spare spool loaded with fresh line.

The vest thing just gets too heavy. I carry it once and a while if I'll be fishing all day but just short 1/2 day trips just take the required amount. If I'm covering tons of water or sure there are fish in a particular hole I'll take the vest, lighten up some of the pockets so I can fit a variety of baits (prawns, sandshrimp or nightcrawlers) and use the large pockets instead of throwing them all in one bait box.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have the LLBean Vest it works great. It holds a lot and distribute weight evenly. I drift fish and this is what I carry:

Pliers
small plano tackle box with corkies, swivels, and hooks.
scissors
yarn with various colors
couple packages of ez eggs
mike shrimp scent
license, punchcard, pen
knife
granola bar, water or other snacks
spare spool (spinning reel)
leader line in various lbs
pencil lead
sometimes rain coat
headlamp if going early
gloves

Depending on the river I'll carry another small tackle box with spinners and jigs
float

I like the idea of having a first aid kit though.

Attachments

·
Banned
661 Posts
fishpimp said:
my vest was 22lbs then i woke up and quit packing all that stuff i didn't use. it used to kill my shoulders after a long day on the river. now i use a small fanny pack and i am so much happier. for example if i was going steelheading in the morning i would bring 2 rods{ 1 jig/plastics and 1 for hardware} i have about 12 jigs with me that i have extreme confidence in,a bass pro shop spoon/spinner zip case full of hardware {if you throw hardware you need a bass por shop spinner wallet,best $10 you will ever spend} a 6 pack of floats,a spool of leader, leatherman,a small box of hooks/corkies/splitshots/pencil lead and a half dozen bags of worms. now my pack weighs about 5 or 6lbs and is now pleasent to fish with all day. i used to be a "what if" fisherman and carry the kitchen sink,what if i needed it. but now i know what is productive,what i have confidence in and i can't remember when the last time i said "what if" i had this or that with me would i have caught more fish. i am not knocking anyone who carries a ton of gear,we are fisherman and we have tons of gear,but i think simplifying my gear was the best thing i have ever done. it make for a better day on the river. i wish i would have done it years ago.

i do keep back up gear in my truck,spare spools,rod,eyes, line etc.
I was checking those spinner/spoon wallets out the other day in the catalogue. Works good eh? I'll have to give one a shot. Do you worry about emptying the wallet out at the end of the day to allow dry time and protecting the rings and hooks from rust?
TIA

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Funk. Lots and lots of stinky funk. Egg-goo, Sandshrimp poop, and steelhead slime are the major contributors. :lol: Well, maybe not so much steelhead slime lately :oops: .

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
J.D. said:
Funk. Lots and lots of stinky funk. Egg-goo, Sandshrimp poop, and steelhead slime are the major contributors. :lol:
Sounds like mine J.D. :lol:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Gerber folding scissor utility knife
pencil lead pliers/crimp tool/hole punch tool
small jig box
fly book with more jigs
pocket full of bobbers
box with hooks, spinners, spoons, corkies, cheaters, bobber stops and beads
box with pre crimped and punched pencil lead, cannonball lead, teardrop lead, swivels, snap swivels, bait threaders
4 colors of EZ eggs
bag of pink worms
foam pipe insulation tube with 3 pre threaded worm leaders, 4 EZ egg leaders and 10 blank leaders
pen and license/crc (steelhead section empty, lol)
2 leader spools (10lb flouro and 12lb mono)
extra reel spool with 12lb mono

There's more but i can't remember. Don't know what it weighs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
3 or 4 years ago I got tired of my vest so I bought a small shoulder bag that holds 6 medium boxes filled w/corkies, spoons, spinners, floats, shot, swivels, spare hooks, almost forgot 6 or 7 plugs,1 jig box, 3/16's hollow core lead, 2 Pips boxes + ect. Then I found that when I wanted to fly fish some runs there was no place for 4 fly boxes so they went in the vest w/leaders and ect. and I was luging both around :lol: We won't even discuss the number of rods in the back of the suburban.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts