Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This a random "what would you have done" choose your answer question.
And the only reason I bring it up now is....well simply I think about it time to time (especially at work-haha)

Almost 15+ years ago when I used to fish the Cowlitz at the ol Blue Creek proper "point", I caught and landed a nice (13-14lb) snow white bellie steelhead. Upon closer look of the missing adiposed fish I noticed that the area where the adipose was supposed to be was literally, "bit or ripped off" by something. Meaning, a noticeable fresh healing scar into the fish where the adipose usually chills. My guess was a large bird or seal grabbed ahold of it.

My first thought was "F"....someone is gonna think I deliberately "Swanny'd" the adipose if I bonk this. Then my second thought was "F-it"...this fish didn't have an adipose when I caught it.

Also keep in mind - No ONE believed that Wild Steelhead existed in the Cowlitz at this time (some even now).

Being fairly young at the game back then...I bonked it.
No one said a word. But I always wondered if I bonked the elusive wild cowlitz steelhead that day.

What would you have done?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Would probably bonk if that was the only fish caught. The scar was in the healing process and if not obviously fresh then how could they blame you? Also, who's to say it wasn't a hatchery? If fishing was lights out or even steady action or I was in the cnr mood then I would prob kick back, as I could replace with another.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
The regs today read "Healed Scar," not sure if that was the case 15 years-ago. It doesn't say "Healing" or "In the process of healing." If it were "today," I wouldn't keep it. Those are clipped at the time of hatchery release. If it's not fully healed as an adult size fish, there's no legal proof of hatchery origin.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For sure nowadays I would've probably released it only cuz I know I could catch another. Back then I was a punk newbie learning the ropes. I've never forgotten that fish tho because of that...and have never seen it since.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My first thought was "F"....someone is gonna think I deliberately "Swanny'd" the adipose.

He did that to my brother on the Columbia about 4 years ago springer fishing,
funny sh:: right there!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Bonked it then now and in the future. There very few to none wild steel.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Let it go then, let it go now.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Fishermen are such good story tellers. Unclipped steelhead at The Point 15 years ago? Did Bigfoot net it for you? Did your unicorn pack it back to the truck? :D

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fishermen are such good story tellers. Unclipped steelhead at The Point 15 years ago? Did Bigfoot net it for you? Did your unicorn pack it back to the truck? :D
Speaking of bigfoot, Herzog has some of those stories too. Lol

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Depends on how fresh of a wound.
Pretty sure no one would get too harassed as long as it wasn't fresh/ cut that day.
Now if a boat showed up with a boat load of half bitten adiposes... :confused:
Again pretty sure nothing would happen. :mad::mad::mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts