Game Fishing Forum banner

What, when, and where was the first fish you ever caught?

8K views 51 replies 47 participants last post by  BremertonSquid 
#1 ·
The very first fish I ever caught was a catfish. While fishing in my Grandpa's wooden boat. I was about 5 years old. We were on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain. (New Orleans.)

#8 ·
Lake Conncunelly----1971 I was 6 yrs old, sister was 5, and youngest sister Abby was still in diapers. I remember Dad and Mom packing us into a 63 Buick Wildcat with a tin can of a trailer attached. We were on vacation for 4 days, the first 3 days the catching was pretty slow, on the last day grandpa asked my sister and me where we should "AIM" the boat. We told him and he took us there.
Fish caught by all, fish kept by all, and fish eaten by all that last night. Back then 14 trout was a daily limit.

#12 ·
FLOUNDER1 said:
Lake Conncunelly----1971 I was 6 yrs old
Wow, me too. Grandma and Grandpa had a cabin on the water and we spent alot of time there from 70'-75'. I remember the trout fishing on the lake and also we would fish the small stream below the reservoir. I remember that I had to go catch grass hoppers to use as bait. Good times for sure.

#15 ·
My first was a trout out of a small alpine lake near O'farells Lookout above Carbonado. I used a small brown rooster tail. My second was a steelhead out of the South Prairie Creek when I was about 8. We lived on the creek and fished it when I was a kid even though it was illegal. It bit on a worm and a bobber. I did let it go though because I never liked eating trout.

#17 ·
Quill

I think that the small stream between the reseivoir and the hiway was connected to a Forest service campground called

Cottonwood"

We caught many trout in that stream as well.

At the other end of the resevoir was a small, shallow lake called Sugarloaf.

My Dad grew up in Omak and knew the area very well.

See if you remember Spectacle Lk fishery when it was in its heyday, that was a good time had by all.

#18 ·
6 or 7" cuttie, '69 or '70 (young kid @ the time) fishing w/my great uncle on the upper mollala (or possibly copper creek)....he limited on 8-15" native trout (dinner)& I probably caught 3 or 4 keepers......thus began the lifelong addiction. The real cool thing is I've been able to thank him several times over the years (even saw him about a month ago.....still getting around at 94 y/o.......perhaps that old adage about a day fishing not taking time off your life applies....deservedly in his case -as I was just one of many many kids, nieces, nephews & grandkids he took on their first fishing trips over the years.....some guides, & very good fishermen & fisherwomen among them today.)

#25 ·
first fish I can remember was caught off the dock at waverly beach in Kirkland. or it may have been in a trout pond at a carnival...But I know the first reel fish was caught at waverly....probaly using pautzskees right on the bottom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.