Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After responding to the "found reel" thread I thought about some of the rods and reels that have gone over the gunnels in my boat.

Anybody else lose any in past years?

I've lost overboard: None of these was by me but people in my boat, but all (were) mine!

2 Shimano Calcutta 250's on excellent graphite rods. Wynoochee River, ooops!

1 Shimano Calcutta 400 on a Lamiglas graphite rod. Humptulips River , ooops!

1 5500c ABU Ambassaduer on a Lamiglas rod. Kenai River Silver on, all gone!

1 5500c ABU Ambassaduer an a Lamiglas rod. Found it the next day but fish was gone. Hump.

oldguy

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well one time, I had a silver grab my rod while trolling a wart on scanewa- i could only trip over everything in my boat before that fish straightened out the rod holder, busted the clip off and sent my rod doing a V across the surface... I pinned the kicker and flipped that boat around as fast as I could, but i could see that rod slowly diving down deeper and deeper as i tried to catch up. Eventually i couldn't see it at all, so we took the other two rods and put warts on them, and trolled back and forth up the channel for about 20 minutes... Finally when all hope was lost, we managed to snag the line and bring it in. I finally drug the rod and reel up from the depths while the fish was still taking off. All in all, even though it was only a WW grigg with an okuma epixor, i managed to bring it back, and land a gorgeous 17/18lb silver to boot!

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
the best one was My Buddy Mike had a few too many brews this year back when the silvers were in the cowlitz ,He was having trouble with his bait caster and finally threw the whole rod reel set up in the water , The fun part was the hook got him in the back side , so i said why don't you save your lamiglass rod ? so he pulled it back up and disconnectedthe rod and threw the reel in

·
Registered
606 Posts
I haven't lost a rod and reel yet, but I did find out that 'fish-on' rod holders don't float.

·
Registered
189 Posts
When G loomis hit the market, my brother Neal was hot to get a new drift rod. He bought the sweetest GL? 9' available with a nice 6500 c4 on it. A friend and I were heading down to the Nooch for some summer run fishing. We grabbed the new rod as we headed out the door. :shock: Well all was good until we got to a little log jam below Black creek. We dropped the plugs out into the jam, I was using the new Loomis rod. I told my friend to have a good hold on the rod, as these fish have a tendency to slug the plug. As I said that I put the new Loomis down on the gunnel, just in that moment the rod was ripped out of the boat, A brite 10lb steelhead was jumping down stream and the rod was gone. I watched in horror thinking the rod was gone, we floated down over the hole. My friend spotted the rod laying down in the tailout. He grabbed a rigged up spoon rod and was able to snag the reel on the Loomis rod clap: Even better, the fish was still on, we landed him and high fived Happy as clams that we did not have to go buy a new Loomis rod and new reel.

Matt

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The closest I've come is when my brother in law dropped a reel over the side. I had built a spinning rod and tried out a slip ring reel seat. He wasn't familiar with this kind of reel seat,and while casting,the reel just fell right off the pole and over the side. I gave him a WTF just happened look,he felt pretty bad and said he'd replace the reel. I said try pulling the line and see if the reel comes with it. About 120yds later (the bail was open)he got to the knot on the spool. Up came the reel and we both got a good laugh.

I have lost pliers,knives and a cell phone.

My brother lost his knife over the side,and they had to cut plug their Herring with a Dodger the rest of the day.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hopefully HawkI will see this thread and tell us all the story about when he threw his buddies rod and reel into the Columbia... :D "No, No, guys. It's like this..."

·
Registered
475 Posts
In 50 plus years of fishing/boating, this is what I remember losing... some over the side, some on the freeway.

2 salmon rods & reels
3 trout rods & reels
2 upper rod sections
2 anchors
3 rod holders
Too much loose tackle to count
Prescription sunglasses
2 pagers from work, one while it was beeping :D
Numerous hats, towels, rags, shirts, etc
3 fillet knives
An entire down rigger including the swivel base (that one really hurt)
Fish stringers w/fish (more than once)
A crab pot
A square nose shovel (don’t ask)
2 pairs of scissors
An all stainless steel hay hook
A couple of inner tubes (freeway)
2 propellers
A prop nut
An anchor light
A spark plug wrench w/sparkplug
A complete side curtain (on the highway at night)
The spare tire off my trailer

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I guess I've been fairly lucky, I had a halibut yank a Kenai Special with a Calcutta 400 on it out the back of the boat, rod holder and all, only to have a client hook the same halibut a minute or so later and I got the whole thing back. Only other rod I've lost was the top half of a Lamiglas CP while pulling my boat out of the Cowlitz river, my gf at the time saw it happen but couldn't get to it quick enough before the current swept it away.
As for clients, over 17 years I would guess probably 20 rods, all resort rods thankfully, I know of 1 which was attached to a 40+ king when it disappeared into the depths. :eek:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Last year I lost a Loomis IMX 1141 with a Shimano Stella on it. Sure wish it would turn up somewhere. It was lost on the Lewis River...

Keith sick:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
stlhdr1 said:
Last year I lost a Loomis IMX 1141 with a Shimano Stella on it. Sure wish it would turn up somewhere. It was lost on the Lewis River...

Keith sick:
Thats almost $1000 worth of gear in one shot. sick:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
a couple years ago i lost my fenwick hmg with a trion reel on the skok at low tide, dont ask me how i did it but it was by the slough hole when i was helping someone land a fish i sett it down and when i went back to get it the water got it. luckily about an hour later another guy got it for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks Seasport. A few years back, I was fishing for stugeon with my 2 brother in laws in my buddys boat on the columbia. Pat and I had been doing all the set ups and casting using all of his gear. My bother in laws ask me to show them how to cast. Well wet wool gloves on a cold raining day,lets a rod & reel go flying real easy out of my hands into the river. The looks on their face was of, I can't believe he just did that. Lets just say that the laughing is still going on to this day.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Only lost one Lamiglass and Penn 320 GT reel along with Scotties downrigger base.
I was fishing in Ucluelet for kings when the boat owner went to sleep and the downrigger hung up on a pinnacle. I was standing next to it when the base of the Scotties broke. I was able to grab the downrigger and hold on to it but the pole and reel were on the Scotties arm so they went by-by.
The only other time I saw anything go overboard was when a friend of mine kid (about six) was holding on to a pole fishing Lake Washington. Kid got bored of holding pole so thru it overboard. His dad was not happy to say the least :eek:

·
Registered
562 Posts
About 10 years ago I was up at Bamfield. One of my electric Cannon downriggers stopped working. I had a spare manual DR with me so I used that one in it's place. The problem was that the electric used the big base and the manual used the low profile base. The manual would slide on the big base but you couldn't lock it on. I used it anyway because the only way it would slide off was if it slid off towards the inside of the boat. I felt the weight and pressure of the ball hanging over the side would keep it put. Just for safety sake, and to help hold it in place, I looped a rope around it and tied it off to a cleat.

Well, we start fishing and everything is going just fine. The DR ball is down. I've got my 10'6" Lamiglass rod and Shimano mooching reel in the rod holder (on the downrigger) and we're trolling along. No problems. I went back to check my anchovy but before doing that I felt the need to cinch up that rope. One quick tug to tighten it up was all it took. I pulled it right off the base and with the weight of the deployed ball and cable, splash it was gone in a heartbeat. I was standing there in stunned disbelief on how stupid I just when I looked over at a Canadian guide that was right next to me. He yelled over, "did I just see what I think I saw". I yelled back, yeah, I just lost my downrigger. Then he said, "yeah that's not all you lost. You also lost your rod and reel too!" I was in such shock that it hadn't clicked that the rod and reel were gone too. Wow, stupid and very expensive mistake. One downrigger, cable, ball,, release clip, rod, reel, line, flasher. $$$$$$$$$$$ An even bigger problem was the downrigger I lost was one I borrowed from a friend so I'd have a spare on the trip. He got a nice new one when I got back home.

Slabby

·
Registered
504 Posts
Only thing I have lost was the top of a bass pro rod on the Skagit. $35 loss, not to bad.
Came real close this pink season on the Snohomish. The water was slow enough and deep enough the cork on the lami cert pro kept it floating, long enough for my buddy to fish it out.
I was so scared I was debating whether to jump in after it. Funny how each second feels like hours.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I have never lost a rod or reel but I have caught one. Over 30 years ago in the Stilly when I still fished for steelhead I hooked a rod with a broken tip and an Ambassador reel on it. I figure the guy broke the tip and got mad and gave the whole thing a toss. I still fish with that reel sometimes.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts