Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at new reels, just wondering what ya'll think I should slap on this rod. And no I don't need the top of the line newest reel out on the market. What I do need is a smooth drag, that's most important. As far as line capacity, it's for koke fishing and in a way not all that important. I'm sure i'm missing something, but some feedback would be great. And yes you seen this pic. before :D

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I put an Ambasseduer 4600 on my Koke rod and have been happy with. They seem to be hard to find locally picked it up on e-bay. Looking forward to waters warming up a bit.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Throw away that rod and bid high in the hope of getting one of the rods I have donated to the auction. Then think about what reel you want on it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
yep a 4600 abu ... cardiff 100 should work great!!

Or go with Mystical legands choice!!! you wont get spooled!! :eek:

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
mayfly0013 said:
SHIMANO CARDIFF 100A
I second and third and fourth this reel, it is by far the best smoothest drag, I have ever found for trout and Kokanee, I love it Tup:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I might try a fly reel filled with mono this year like Mr. Herzog talked about in his article in STS. I will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
fishing bear said:
I might try a fly reel filled with mono this year like Mr. Herzog talked about in his article in STS. I will let you know how it works.
I would just make sure you use a fly rod or a spinning rod, a fly reel on a baitcaster wouldn't work well unless you are using the rod upside down, and that doesn't sound fun :? just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I'd go with the 4600 C3 or C4. Smooth drag, small profile, plenty of capacity and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Go old school and put a Penn 9M or even a Penn 109 on it! That way you could put leaded line on it. with a 50-100' mono leader you could still use it with the riggers on the mono portion of the line, but in the bigger lakes you wouldn't have to use the riggers and could just troll with the lead core.

Even without using leaded lin, I'm a sucker for the old Penns.

·
Registered
729 Posts
my vote would be a bantam 10x been running mine for years and the drag has always been more then smooth enugh for me. not the latest or greatest but it works well for me. I am currently looking for a new rod for it as the one i have now is a bit stiff for my liking, its one of my old 6' bass rods

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
That Pic makes me want to koke fishing so bad, I stared at that pick long enough to see it bounce a couple times.......

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
GURU said:
mayfly0013 said:
SHIMANO CARDIFF 100A
I second and third and fourth this reel, it is by far the best smoothest drag, I have ever found for trout and Kokanee, I love it Tup:
me tooooooooo! Great reel great price.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Abu 3600 off e bay, I bought 6 of them when K Mart closed them out about 6 or 7 years ago. I use them for every thing and I've only had to replace 1 reels drag.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts