Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use 12 but am thinking to switch to 10. Is 10 or even 8 too light for steelhead? I'm worried about my presentation basically.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
While drift fishing from a boat I use 10lb main and 8lb leader. From the bank I use the same unless im after Natives, then I use 12 lb main and 10lb leaders. Float fishing I use 30lb power pro and 10lb Floro. leader.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
powder said:
Is it cuz the braid floats?
Yes and its small diam. so you can fit plenty of line on a curado for example. I just started using it and I love it. I used mono with muslin before but braid is much better..

·
Banned
108 Posts
Ive used as light as 6lb for summer steelhead but no lighter. For all winter fish I use 12lb main for all spoon fishing with my Curado D.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
12lb. Izor Mono!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I usually use 10-8 pound test depending on the conditions, my biggest steelhead was a 18 pounder out of the snake river and it was caught on 8 pound maxima.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
OmakFisher said:
I usually use 10-8 pound test depending on the conditions, my biggest steelhead was a 18 pounder out of the snake river and it was caught on 8 pound maxima.
Maxima is always stronger than its listed strength. 8lb breaks at about 12,10 at about 14,and 12 at about 16. Maxima is also thicker than its listed diameter. Thats why everyone thinks Maxima is so strong,they're buying a 14 or 16lb line thats listed at 10 or 12.

P-line is the same way.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Summer runs...usually 10 main, 8 leaders...

Winter run hatchery brats, 12 or 10 main, 10 or 8 leaders.

Winter run natives, sometimes 12 main, but usually 15 to 18 main, 12 leaders. For spoons I'll use 15.

Little appreciated fact: There are very few times or conditions when any steelhead are leader shy...about the only time to worry about it is in August for hatchery summer runs that have been sitting in a terminal hole in front of the hatchery for six weeks, like at Reiter.

Wild fish would hit a plug attached to your anchor rope if it wouldn't mess up the action of the plug so much!

Extremely cold winter run fishing might require a small jig presentation, in which case you may have to size it down on the line a bit, but that's just to present the jig well, not because the fish could care less about seeing your line...in many applications, especially spoons and driftfishing, it's the line that is using the current to fish your bait/lure properly, and sizing it down too much, or driftfishing/spoon fishing with too thin of line or with braid will take away from your presentation.

It takes a bit of getting used to for many anglers to not have that super tight direct line to their bait or lure, but that perfect "bow" in the line is what gets you a more natural, less jerky presentation...trust the fish to let you know when they hit, and to hold on when they do!

Fish on...

Todd

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Hunter P said:
OmakFisher said:
Maxima is always stronger than its listed strength. 8lb breaks at about 12,10 at about 14,and 12 at about 16. Maxima is also thicker than its listed diameter. Thats why everyone thinks Maxima is so strong,they're buying a 14 or 16lb line thats listed at 10 or 12.

P-line is the same way.
I have never measured it's diameter so I could not say but after using it and trying lots of other line I always go back to Maxima for me I like it's abrasion resistance,I don't think any of the other lines I have ever tried even come close to matching it.I use anywhere from 6lb-20lb on my levelwinds depending on style of fishing, conditions,flows and surroundings (brushy,wide open,large river etc)

·
Registered
520 Posts
I use 8 lb test for steelhead when using my 10 ft med light spinrod with spoons, drifting, or floats and jigs. Just have to watch out for the line getting abrasion in the bottom few feet either from bouncing the bottom for a long time or lots of hook ups. I have never had any fish(king, chum, silver, steelhead) break off 8lb main line. Its all about having your drag set right and having a long flexible rod doesnt hurt either. Now of course if you like to horse in your fish you may want heavier line. I use maxima and do believe what the above poster mentioned that its a little stronger/thicker and abrasion resistant than other brands such as trilene which isnt very durable in my mind.

When fly fishing i use a 6lb or 8lb leader depending on the species and water clarity. Out in the salt with fly rod i use 10lb leader for skatin tube flies behind the boat for silvers.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
For float fishing I use 30 lb power pro, For drift fishing I use 15, and 8-12 lb leaders. Thats for Hatcheries, If natives are in I'll step it up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Todd said:
Summer runs...usually 10 main, 8 leaders...

Winter run hatchery brats, 12 or 10 main, 10 or 8 leaders.

Winter run natives, sometimes 12 main, but usually 15 to 18 main, 12 leaders. For spoons I'll use 15.

Little appreciated fact: There are very few times or conditions when any steelhead are leader shy...about the only time to worry about it is in August for hatchery summer runs that have been sitting in a terminal hole in front of the hatchery for six weeks, like at Reiter.

Wild fish would hit a plug attached to your anchor rope if it wouldn't mess up the action of the plug so much!

Extremely cold winter run fishing might require a small jig presentation, in which case you may have to size it down on the line a bit, but that's just to present the jig well, not because the fish could care less about seeing your line...in many applications, especially spoons and driftfishing, it's the line that is using the current to fish your bait/lure properly, and sizing it down too much, or driftfishing/spoon fishing with too thin of line or with braid will take away from your presentation.

It takes a bit of getting used to for many anglers to not have that super tight direct line to their bait or lure, but that perfect "bow" in the line is what gets you a more natural, less jerky presentation...trust the fish to let you know when they hit, and to hold on when they do!

Fish on...

Todd
Ditto - and I would add one should be more concerned about the proper amount of weight including properly weighting your float when float/jig fishing. I cannot believe how many foam floats I see going down river laying sideways. Not all takes are straight under when jig or bait fishing with a float.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
I generally run 10lb main/8 lb leader. Today with visibility on the Skagit over 10 feet I switched to the 6 lb roll.

I fish from a boat and if I was banking it I would fish 12 main ...10 leader.

Todays fishing lines are awesome. I watched a hatchery brat tear the crap out of a 6lb leader today that I thought I would bust off for sure and it still held.

Remember to always LUBE those knots before tightening them up thus you dont burn the line Tup:

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I don’t live on the west side any more so I don’t fish for steelhead... but I live on the south end of Banks Lake in Grant County and we have rainbows over ten pounds in there. They would be called and classified as steelhead if Banks Lake had any connection to the Columbia River. I can catch anything in the lake with 8-pound P-Line.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts