Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Red uses the Matzuo sickle jig hooks. I can't find them anywhere so i emailed riverfisher and he said he won't have some for a while and he's the only one that sells those specific Matzuo's. So i'm up a creek. The next best thing i've seen is the Owner 5313-111. Anyone use these? Will they fit a 570/575 mold? I bought some Gama's a week or so ago in 1/0 size and they're smaller than the Owner 1/0's! I need something i can hook and land a steelhead with. I've read that most people think the thin wire is too weak to hold onto a king or steelhead. The Owners are about the same wire thickness as the Gama's though. I'm thinking i may as well just get those to tide me over until riverfisher gets more in.

Opinions/advice? I'm out of lead heads so i can't tie anymore jigs til i find some!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just got done pouring 50 1/8oz ers with 2x 1/0 Gamakatsuuuus in them. Look out winter runs wink: Do Owners make a 2x jig hook??

·
Registered
261 Posts
Red,
Are those Matzuo available in red only or do they come in nickel black? Powder I use those(Owner) and they are preety dang good.
Jody

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fishy said:
I just got done pouring 50 1/8oz ers with 2x 1/0 Gamakatsuuuus in them. Look out winter runs wink: Do Owners make a 2x jig hook??
I have 100 2x 1/0 Gama's and the shank just seems too short. I haven't poured any yet and i'd assume i'll be using 2/0's for kings this spring but they just seem smaller than all the other hooks that are rated the same size. Can't get past that for some reason.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I did the same as far as the Matzou hooks and was told earlier this month that it would be later this month,see what happens when your popular :lol: Today I stopped at Sportco and checked out the Gami 2x strong hooks(supposedly their heaviest) compared with the Owner 90 degree short shank hooks(not sure if it's the same # you are referring to) side by side there was no difference to be seen by the naked eye except that the hook point on the Owner has a slight curve to it (which I prefer) where as the Gami's point was straight. The diameter of the wire looked to me to be identical.Overall I prefer Owner hooks over Gami in all of the other styles I use so after looking at the two the choice is an easy one for me. I have not purchased any molds yet but in the future will be doing so,hard to find things when you need them right in the middle of the season.For the time being I'm going to order some jig heads from here http://www.beeleejigs.com/materials.htm. :D

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
AAtackle said:
Red,
Are those Matzuo available in red only or do they come in nickel black? Powder I use those(Owner) and they are preety dang good.
Jody
Ill take a pic and show you the ones I use from Rvrfshr, they are black. The light wire Matzuo's come in red, but they aint worth buying for steelhead. IMO

·
Registered
520 Posts
i use eagle claw 630's i have tried all others and always come back to them they are affordable and durable. i see alot of guys floatfishing with stiff rods and then complain about week hooks. i use a 9.5 me-light rod and very rarely if ever bend one.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
i can get those eagle claws for 3 cents each and i can also bend them with my fingers. i am not a big fan of them, i use the gami's and have had really good luck on big fish with them. owners are really sticky but i haven't used them for jigs. i have used owners trebles for all my bass plugs with great success but i have broke a coulpe of them on steelhead while using a light rod and 8lb test. maybe a bad couple of batches? i know 2 other guys that have snapped the trebles. has anyone ever had that happen to them or am i just the unlucky one?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The bare jig hooks are the RVstickers that come from Rvrfshr, very sweet hooks. The tied up jig on the left is on a 1/0 Owner and the bottom jighead is a #1 Gama 1x, I think its a #2, but they say #1.

I also like the 630's like Fish Affender says. I have no problem catching fish on them, and have many. The cool thing about the rvstickers is they are shaped in sort of the same way as the 630 Eagle Claw, but they are even sharper and a heck of a lot stronger.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fishpimp said:
i can get those eagle claws for 3 cents each and i can also bend them with my fingers. i am not a big fan of them, i use the gami's and have had really good luck on big fish with them. owners are really sticky but i haven't used them for jigs. i have used owners trebles for all my bass plugs with great success but i have broke a coulpe of them on steelhead while using a light rod and 8lb test. maybe a bad couple of batches? i know 2 other guys that have snapped the trebles. has anyone ever had that happen to them or am i just the unlucky one?
The 1/0 Gama's or bigger? Maybe i'll just pour em and call it good.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Red Neckersom said:
The bare jig hooks are the RVstickers that come from Rvrfshr, very sweet hooks. The tied up jig on the left is on a 1/0 Owner and the bottom jighead is a #1 Gama 1x, I think its a #2, but they say #1.

I also like the 630's like Fish Affender says. I have no problem catching fish on them, and have many. The cool thing about the rvstickers is they are shaped in sort of the same way as the 630 Eagle Claw, but they are even sharper and a heck of a lot stronger.
What's the difference between the 1x and 2x Gama's? Wire diameter right?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
powder said:
fishpimp said:
The 1/0 Gama's or bigger? Maybe i'll just pour em and call it good.
i like the 1/0 personally

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
powder said:
What's the difference between the 1x and 2x Gama's? Wire diameter right?
I wish I could tell you for certain powder, but Im sure it has to do with the strength of the wire. I rarely use Gama anymore so Im not really up on there products anymore.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have personally caught several Chinnok well over 30lbs on my jigs with the 1/0 Owners that I use on my jigs. As Brian never had a complaint either.

·
Registered
111 Posts
powder said:
I know Red uses the Matzuo sickle jig hooks. I can't find them anywhere so i emailed riverfisher and he said he won't have some for a while and he's the only one that sells those specific Matzuo's. So i'm up a creek. The next best thing i've seen is the Owner 5313-111. Anyone use these? Will they fit a 570/575 mold? I bought some Gama's a week or so ago in 1/0 size and they're smaller than the Owner 1/0's! I need something i can hook and land a steelhead with. I've read that most people think the thin wire is too weak to hold onto a king or steelhead. The Owners are about the same wire thickness as the Gama's though. I'm thinking i may as well just get those to tide me over until riverfisher gets more in.

Opinions/advice? I'm out of lead heads so i can't tie anymore jigs til i find some!
The 5313-111 (1/0 Owner) will fit Do-it molds JNR-7-48. If you use the Production models (101 series) 1251 & 1252 you will have to do a few very slight modifications, all you need is a Dremel w/cut off wheel and a steady hand.

Jig'n

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jig'n said:
powder said:

The 5313-111 (1/0 Owner) will fit Do-it molds JNR-7-48. If you use the Production models (101 series) 1251 & 1252 you will have to do a few very slight modifications, all you need is a Dremel w/cut off wheel and a steady hand.

Jig'n
Woohoo for me! I got the jnr-7-48. Thanks mang!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts