Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does Sparkey's Law dictate? It seems to have a rather negative connotation to some.

I have spent some time reading on the Dark Sides' web site, but never registered so that I might ask there.
I might get kicked right off that site for asking a question like that.

The other Sparky wants to know.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
:? never eat yellow snow? Tup:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sparky,
Sparkey's Law is the fish handling rule for salmon, steelhead and bull trout. It brings up a lot of debate for folks who support or oppose it. You'll get to see lots of opinions on it when someone posts pictures of nates being held out of the water.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't you eat that yellow snow is Frank Zappa's rule. I live by it.

Did Sparkey help lobby and politic that law into existance? The intent is righteous, the application of it is sketchy.

As far as i know it does not say just how much water has to be under that fish, just part of the fish has to be in it.
Fish are typically very hardy, until they smack a solid object ..... or it smacks them.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
The other Sparky got tagged for good reason. Because he vociferously defended it online at the time it was proposed.

The amusing part was when he posted a picture of himself holding one completely out of the water in BC last year, where it is legal to do so. I guess only WA fish are too delicate.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Let me explain something to you. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. Sparkeys Law was an attempt to force people who do not understand how to properly handle fish to leave them in the water.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
sparky said:
Don't you eat that yellow snow is Frank Zappa's rule. I live by it.
Me too, especially when dealing with an Eskimo named Nanook. I wonder whose law bans bonking baby seals with a lead-filled snow shoe? :D

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
TheDude said:
Let me explain something to you. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing. Sparkeys Law was an attempt to force people who do not understand how to properly handle fish to leave them in the water.
Sounds like a bunch of elitist high brow BS to me. People that wouldn't handle fish properly before still aren't. People who did, still do.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Only NOW... if a Game Warden witnesses the mistreatment of a fish... whether intentional or not... he has some legal recourse in deciding how to handle the situation. It may not be a perfect law... but what's WORSE is the fact that we have to worry about such things in the first place.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
I really, really hate do this.......................................................................

Sounds like a bunch of elitist high brow BS to me. People that wouldn't handle fish properly before still aren't. People who did, still do.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Given time I have no doubt the "Do-Gooder's" will see that Sparky's Law includes all Species.

Yet with a little ingenuity, I shall still get my Picture for "Bragging Purposes" on this Website! wink:

Keep them Honest....Keep them Wet! "TRAPPER"

·
Banned
217 Posts
The Dude never stated whether or not he agreed with the law, only the purpose behind it.

The dude likes the law about as much as he likes milk with no Vodka.

·
Banned
132 Posts
TheDude said:
The Dude never stated whether or not he agreed with the law, only the purpose behind it.

The dude likes the law about as much as he likes milk with no Vodka.
Who drinks milk without Vodka? At least the law may force a few Googan's to correctly handle fish.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Sadly, I don't think the Googan's are learning to handle fish better. It does make some folks "feel" better that something was done to help fish. HOWEVER...

The amount of fish "saved" is likely to be very few, especially tough as nails steelhead. It doesn't really accomplish anything except revenue enhancement for a local government if WDFW thinks we're ignoring the law.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
What is Sparky's law?

A prime example of another useless, unenforceable, arbitrary, worthless regulation.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Is Sparkeys Law difficult to enforce
Yes

Will it really do anything to save fish
Probably not, maybe one or two here or there

Does it generate revenue for WDFW
Probably not, difficult to catch an offender

Did the kid try to help a species he cares deeply about
Yes

At least The Sparkster tried which is more then The Dude can say for himself or most people on most boards.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts