Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
What kind of salmon? What methods of fishing? Salt/Freshwater? Etc.

When I got into salmon fishing on rivers I went with an IST1025. Good all around rod for salmon IMO. Of course now I have rods in all ranges, a rod or two for each species of fish. :D
It will start out with one all purpose rod, ask anyone here. wink: Then the next thing you know, you'll own about 25+, one for each species, method, etc. I prefer a rod in the 9' + range, lighter, faster, more or less backbone.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
IMO, A good all around rod for salmon (cheap starter), is an 8'6" Ugly Stick Intercoastal medium action rod, you can find it at most fishing stores and can be used for many different methods, that way when you really get into and get the hang of Salmon fishing you can upgrade to a more expensive, style specific rod like a Lami or a G-loomis, that way you will appreciate the newer rod and the increased sensitivity. plus they are only about 50.00 and won't break Tup:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Presuming river drift fishing, Berkley Air IM7 rods are killer starter rods... Joes has them onsale often at $50

Go with the 9'6 or 9 rods IMHO... 12 on test line is common for mainline.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
irishrogue said:
Presuming river drift fishing, Berkley Air IM7 rods are killer starter rods... Joes has them onsale often at $50

I agree with the Air IM7s. They have a rod suited for just about any condition/teqnique you might run across.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
GI Joes also has Akuma 8' 6" rods that work well. I have used them in the boat for kings/silvers and caught steelhead/kings/silvers in the river with it.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
the okuma cellilo is a good starter rod. I got one for my old man and he caught silvers, kings, and steelhead on it. i think its was a 8-17 8'6. But I have found personally that 9'6 add sensitivity, casting abilitly, and a better controll when fighting a fish, if not longer

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Another vote for the celilo or the lamiglas norwest special. also for a good downrigger rod is the eagle granger. very cheap, durable, and sensitive.

·
Registered
705 Posts
i started with a shimano scimitar 8'6" medium, cost about $40 and never once has it let me down. i caught pinks, coho, and even chum with it with no problems.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I gotta second those Okuma rods. Probably better than most people expect. I find that most Okumas are splined correctly whereas even G. Loomis stuff often isn't. $35 on sale a Joes (used to be $30) cheaper at sportsman's warehouse if not on sale. I have a ton of Celilos (8 between spin and cast) as backup or specialty rods that for things I don't do very often like jig big Point Wilson Darts in search of chinook or cast big buzz bombs in search of pinks, bass fishing, herring jigging etc... Can't beat the Okuma stuff at that price.

I also started out using Shimano Corsair reels. Still can be found for $25 or so on e-bay. Good reels to start with, not the best, but very functional and easy to get parts for. You can't tell it isn't a Calcutta from 10 feet away... For $50-60 you can get started on fishing.... I still have mine (I have 4 of them) as the 3rd string backups...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I your looking not to spend a lot of money the Berkley IM-7 or the okuma celio are a great bargin. The Lami northwest spec. IMO is not as good as either one of those rods. The Lami will set you back more than double the Okuma and more than the Berkley. I do like Lami's just not that model I own a cert pro and g1000.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Quantum Coldwater series has some really nice salmon and steelhead rods for around 70 dollars. Tup:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My theory is..."you get what you pay for." Sure, Okuma rods are great for their price, but performance wise (sensitivity, lightness, strength, durability, quality, ect), you can't even compare it with a Loomis. I would suggest getting the best gear you could afford to begin with. In the long run, you'll enjoy fishing with a better equipment and could forget about wanting to upgrade and waste unnecessary money on a rod that may end up sitting in the garage unused. Just my two cents. As far as my preference on rods, you can't go wrong with a Loomis or Lamiglas. Although Fetha Styx's are growing on me. Good luck with whatever you choose...

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
A very good and acceptable starter rod would the Berkley Air IM7's and the Fenwick HMX rods in the 6-12 or 8-17 lbs test range. They are comparable price-wise to the Ugly Stiks, but are lighter and more sensitive. They aren't a tough (Ugly Stik's having more fiberglass), but because they have less fiberglass, they will be a bit more sensitive, to most people. There have been success stories with the Okuma Celilo, but I can not recommend them. I've seen too many come back broken a couple eyes above the ferrule. Most were not operator error, ie high sticking, because they were too low for that.

Rods should last you a long time. Get the best one you can for your budget. Its like a boat, buy the biggest one you can for your budget. You'll grow into it, but your rod wont grow with you. Granted, fishing is a lot more about the end user, so its not always necessary to buy the OMGIGOTAWESOME diamond rod. It all depends on what you want out of it. However, like scalecarp said, you get what you pay for. Lamiglas and Fenwick HMX are not equals. Loomis and Berkley Air's not equals. Fetha-styx and Ugly Stiks are not equals.

If you want my honest opinion, don't short yourself. Look at some the rods up for sale on the classifieds and auctions here on the site. THere are some fine fine rods for cheaper than retail. You might spend more than a traditional "starter" rod, but in the end, I think you'll feel it justified.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
irishrogue said:

Today 59.99

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I have no complaints about my Shimano Convergence 10' 8-17. It caught me a good amount of pinks, silvers and a couple kings. It doesn't seem to be a good steelhead rod though... or maybe it's the owner. lol

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I also have a 10' Shimano convergence for the downrigger. Great price, lifetime warranty.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts