Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there is one thing that I miss from the older Gamfishin' forum is the ability to read the first few lines of a "topic' posting by simply placing your mouse over that post.

I wonder if it is only my computer or not, but when I "hover" over a post now it just reads "New Post". Is there something we need to do to "preview" the post like the older site????

Just thinking out loud......

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I really miss that also...Hook said he was working on fixxing it, but it was going to take some time...Plus he has a life off this forum as well...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Me Too on that one. A lot of posts have one word or cryptic subjects and being able to get a hint about what they're really talking about made it a much more user friendly forum.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I miss a couple of things. First, a fishing politics forum. There are many things going on right now that will have a profound impact in our ability to fish in the future. I have to bounce to two or three other sites just to stay caught up and informed. The old forum was like "one stop shopping" for keeping up on things, and had some pretty heavyweight posters who knew their stuff. One very important recent item I had been reading about for nearly a week on another site before it popped up here on the fishing forum. Then you'd barely have noticed it.

Second is archives. I enjoyed searching through the archived posts to see what was going on during the same months in the previous years. I also liked to research things like summer fishing trips, run timings, gear setups, etc...

But, there are a lot of things I like about the new forum too. Tup:

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Elkrun said:
I miss a couple of things. First, a fishing politics forum. There are many things going on right now that will have a profound impact in our ability to fish in the future. I have to bounce to two or three other sites just to stay caught up and informed. The old forum was like "one stop shopping" for keeping up on things, and had some pretty heavyweight posters who knew their stuff. One very important recent item I had been reading about for nearly a week on another site before it popped up here on the fishing forum. Then you'd barely have noticed it.
I find your comments about the fishing politics forum very interesting....

Please answer me a couple questions:

How many times did you say that you were not going to post anymore because you DIDN'T like what was going on in the fishing politics forum? (don't say none because we know that would not be true).

Why can't "issues which will have a profound impact in our ability to fish in the future" be discussed in the fishing forum?

How much time do you expect me to spend responding to and reacting on all the continuous complaints, pissing and moaning, fighting, people threatening to sue each other... etc? Never in my life have I seen such a group of adult who acted like high school kids and then expect me to "do something" when they got upset. Seriously, how much time do you think I should spend moderating it?

And just a few comments; I get a kick out of it when people who have decided that they don't like GF anymore, for whatever reason. They stomp off and say "fine I'll start posting on all the other competitive sites. My participation there will make those sites better than GF!". It happens like clockwork when someone is banned or they get pissed of at something and leave.

I don't let that bother me. As long as I do the best I can here to continue making this the best fishing site I can, then thats all I can do.

Gamefishin.com has been around far longer than most all of the other sites and has sprouted a number of new sites. If you pay attention many of the new sites copy what goes on here and even the model their sites after what I've created here. Imitation is a form of flattery.

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
The Weazle said:
I really miss that also...Hook said he was working on fixxing it, but it was going to take some time...Plus he has a life off this forum as well...
Tup:

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
jmpurser said:
The Weazle said:
Plus he has a life off this forum as well...
He does? Why that two timin' BASTARD!
LOL ~ I will defiantly be working on that feature. I had no idea how many people used it.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Regarding cursur hovering on topic -
Dr Hook said:
~ I will defiantly be working on that feature. I had no idea how many people used it.
Thanks again, Bruce Tup: clap:

As for your alleged "other life", good luck with that , Pal! :)

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Bruce, I know you said that you will work on the preview option for posts. Mark me down as a guy who misses that feature as well.

As far as the fishing politics forum, I don't miss that since I didn't go there much. Each time I went to that forum, it seemed like people arguing about fishing politics. It amazes me at how so many like minded sportsman have so many different opinions. Once we start sharing one voice, we will have a better impact on sustaining the resource.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Dr Hook said:
[
I find your comments about the fishing politics forum very interesting....
Please answer me a couple questions:
Just a wishlist Dr.Hook, simply responding to the origional question, thats all... Fish politics can be discussed on the main forum just fine. The new site looks great! Tup:

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
I miss being able to see what posts the other members were reading at the time. Just because I am an ego maniac and want to see them reading my usual antics like falling in a lake or the sound. clown:

I do like the way the forum is setup now.

Its also nice that everyone is having fun and getting along so nicely.

I dont see anything wrong with being a member on lots of forums. As long as you come home here wink:

Thanks for all the hard work on this site. You deserve a beer and Im buying. :cool:

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Iceshark said:
I miss being able to see what posts the other members were reading at the time. Just because I am an ego maniac and want to see them reading my usual antics like falling in a lake or the sound. clown:

I dont see anything wrong with being a member on lots of forums. As long as you come home here wink:

Thanks for all the hard work on this site. You deserve a beer and Im buying. :cool:
Try clicking the "who is online" at the bottom left hand side of the page Gupper .... wink:

·
Premium Member
32,972 Posts
SportJet said:
Iceshark said:

Try clicking the "who is online" at the bottom left hand side of the page Gupper .... wink:
Yea Sportjet that shows who is looking at which forum. But the old site showed which thread they were looking at. I think thats what Ice was talking about.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just to chime in with most of the others I too would like to see the brief description popup - I know it's being worked on so all's well, just 2 cents. Also if I am in a real hurry it was nice to have the "burning" topics font in front of the current juicest posts. I guess just most anything that helps clue you in deeper as to what's going on with a topic only helps. I guess I am in the minority but this is really the only fishing site I look at. I've taken a peak here and there over time but that's definately it, never been signed up anywhere else, and really heven't even "peeked" in I don't know how long. Thanks all for a great site, and good people to both learn from and teach, and just converse about the things I enjoy!!

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
thepoth said:
Just to chime in with most of the others I too would like to see the brief description popup - I know it's being worked on so all's well, just 2 cents. Also if I am in a real hurry it was nice to have the "burning" topics font in front of the current juicest posts. I guess just most anything that helps clue you in deeper as to what's going on with a topic only helps. I guess I am in the minority but this is really the only fishing site I look at. I've taken a peak here and there over time but that's definately it, never been signed up anywhere else, and really heven't even "peeked" in I don't know how long. Thanks all for a great site, and good people to both learn from and teach, and just converse about the things I enjoy!!
I make no bones about it, I love loyal members! Thank you Poth clap:

As for the burning topics, if you notice we now have a scrolling round icon for hot topics. That is the same thing as the old flaming icon.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Dr Hook said:
thepoth said:
I make no bones about it, I love loyal members! Thank you Poth clap:

As for the burning topics, if you notice we now have a scrolling round icon for hot topics. That is the same thing as the old flaming icon.
No problem Hook, I really just like this site and haven't seen any reason to go/check elsewhere! I found the icons - guess I shoulda opened my eyes :D .

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
bass-master said:
i miss the little box that pops up when you refresh or go to another part of the site that says you have 1 new PM
Go to your control panel and set the preference to have a pop up box with a new PM. The default is off, if you want the pop up you need to turn it on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts