What do you think about the NFL protests? | Page 2 | Gamefishin.com

What do you think about the NFL protests?

Discussion in 'NFR - Politics! Discussion and Debates' started by jimh, Sep 16, 2016.

1. fishslave

fishslave Well-Known Member

""As an American, a black male in this country, I'm suggesting, calling -- I'm demanding that all 50 state attorney generals call for a review of their policies and training policies for police and law enforcement to eliminate militaristic cultures while putting a higher emphasis on de-escalation tactics and crisis management measures," Baldwin said."

And he's right, but I do wish he would have added "hiring policies" because that's the best time to weed out some of the worst offenders IMO.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Salmo g.

Salmo g. Well-Known Member

Jim,

Complying with police orders does seem to be at the root of many of the shootings at issue. This raises the sub-issue of degree of compliance. Failure to exactly comply while posing zero threat to the officer doesn't measure up to a justified shooting IMO. Plus, it looks like many officers who shoot didn't take any opportunity to de-escalate the situation.

The Keith Scott shooting looks like a very bad shoot. Probably gonna' be charges filed, if not at the local level, then federal civil rights.

As I've posted before, I have zero problem when police shoot a suspect who assaults or attempts to assault the cop. The biggest problem that I see working against the Black Lives Matter movement, is that many folks are acting as though every black who has been shot by a cop was innocent, when they pretty darn clearly weren't.

Sg

3. Salmo g.

FS,

I thought you knew me better. I probably read less politically motivated literature and reports than anyone on this forum. If I'm spewing any liberal talking points, it's because I reached that conclusion on my own. I don't listen to or watch MSNBC, so I don't know what they are saying. I don't know what FOX says either unless someone posts about on a thread. Otherwise I get my information from a variety of sources, and I'm far from being the most-informed person around.

Of course cops shoot whites too. I know that. But we both know that the rate at which white cops shoot blacks is disproportionately higher than the rate at which they shoot whites. And it remains disproportionately higher even when you account for the fact that blacks disproportionately commit more crimes than whites per capita.

I don't know about all media, but pretty much every cop shooting gets reported on. I don't think it's being swept under the rug if the person shot is white. Too many eyes looking these days.

Sg

4. Salmo g.

OB-1,

The dead don't care. That's pretty much the official conclusion of morticians everywhere. So it didn't occur to me that the people who have died fighting on behalf of the U.S. feel disrespected when someone doesn't stand for the national anthem. It looks like, and I suspect that there are differences of opinion on whether the athletes who don't stand are representing the NFL and their teams well.

When one fights defending the U.S., one is fighting to defend the ideal of American democracy and the U.S. Constitution, which includes fighting for free speech, including the speech or expressions you personally may disagree with. That is the unique and supreme essences of the right of free speech in the U.S. Can't get any better than that, IMO.

So it looks like we can just agree to disagree.

Sg

5. fishslave

fishslave Well-Known Member

Salmo, I believe the BBC reporting is more reliable than US sources. They have no dog in this fight. Here's their story on police shootings.

US police shootings: How many die each year? - BBC News

Blacks aren't shot and killed at a proportionally higher rate. The fact that you don't know that, and don't realize the media doesn't focus on whites being killed puts in BACK on media coverage.

Being one of those white people that could be medically unable to respond to cops orders, I want to see excessive use of force dealt with. Too many diabetics and others get tasered every year and some die from it.

Dead military personnel may not care about the kneeling know nothings, but their surviving family members and friends sure do. If you lost a couple of limbs in Iraq, had PTSD and you managed to attend a game where that disrespect happened, it would likely feel similar to what happened when Vietnam Vets arrived at US airports and were met with signs, shouting and spitting. That was wrong then, and this is wrong now.

6. Pipe Dream

Pipe Dream Active Member

A bit late to the party on this one but I will bet that there is language in each player's contract about activities (and especially on the field) that, for better words, pisses off a significant portion of the paying public. I for one do not pay to see or hear political opinions by anyone and find the NFL Commissioner's position to be inconsistent with other similar player actions. IMHO players who insistent on this display simply need to stay in the locker room until after the anthem. Anyway, looks like it is going to be a great day on Sunday; wonder what I will be doing (other than watching football)?

7. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Well-Known Member

Free speech is great unless you are the back up catcher for the Mariners. Then I guess not so much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Metal_

Metal_ Well-Known Member

Even though I agree with most of the things Clevenger said, I also understand the Mariners suspending him because of the PR nightmare the liberals would create if they didn't do something.

Free speech is only ok if you are from the left in the day and age.

9. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Well-Known Member

That is why it is always interesting to me that the Left claims that right wingers are after their liberties. The destruction of liberty begins when free speech is infringed, and punished. It begins to have a chilling effect on expressing any opinion different than the ones in power. Everyone in sports is now on notice, protest the flag, the anthem what ever but don't say ANYTHING bad about BLM. Or "protestors" who loot and destroy as a thinly veiled excuse for lawlessness and chaos. Such things are now evidently sacrosanct.

It is not the right punishing people for the "wrong" opinions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. peyton00

peyton00 Well-Known Member

Some people dont like it when others voice their opinion or take an opposing stance.
    Wrong place wrong time etc etc.
    If you listen to all the whiners and thin skinned people, there will never be the right place or right time to voice an opposition.
    Someone, somewhere will always whine and complain about it.
    Freedom of expression shouldnt have a politically correct filter or a feel good meter....this isnt korea or russia.

Dont like what someone says or does.....dont support that person.

11. THE TRAPPER 1

THE TRAPPER 1 Member

Top Poster Of Month

NFL took care of the problem......Bottom line, Money, Money, Money! " TRAPPER "

[​IMG]

Search tags for this page

what do people think about the nfl prtesting