Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has been a great year of fishing. Caught fish more than I got skunked, and had tons of fun with some great people doing it.
Here are just a couple of things I learned
1) Switched from a spinning reel to a baitcaster. (Was very fun to watch for a while) clown:
2) Learned to fish a float and jig.
3) Got pretty familiar with about 1/2 mile of the Nisqually river, and found the Skook. One of my focuses will be more rivers in 08.
4) Don't know if it would be considered actual learning, but plunked corkies at Mud Bay with Red for the first time and had a blast. Clay had way more fun, but that's another story. :D
5) Again, not a learning experience, but bought a boat in October. Way more to learn there since it's my first one.

Thanks to everyone for all the help we all give and get.
08 will be even better. See ya there.
Vic

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's another one.
Digital cameras and anchors don't get along on a rough day on the Columbia.
The anchor's fine by the way.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I learned that chum salmon love to bite a prawn tipped jig.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I learned that a stashed and forgotten "airline" sized bottle of tequila in your tackle bag makes for a great surprise on a rainy winter steelhead trip. Tup:

I also learned the right time (and wrong time) to ask my wife if it's ok to go fishing with the guys on a given weekend.

·
Registered
513 Posts
2 things: #1 I better not fish as much this year as I did last year, or I may lose a boat,lol
#2 I better not keep as many salmon this year, still have entirely to much fish,
according to my wife.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There are a number of things that I learned this year, including:

1) This is a fantastic forum...

2) LipRipper is totally cool and generous with his knowledge of fishing the Sound...

3) I suck, but am loving the learning process, at driving a jet boat...

4) Fishing is a lot harder than dragging a lure through the water...

5) I can have a blast and not catch a dang thing... I already knew this, but was reminded several times this year...

6) That Celilo rods will break from just trying to release from the downrigger, and the guy at Joes says, "Oh yeah, we get these returned all the time!"...

7) You get what you pay for when buying fishing rods... I'm now buying Lamiglas...

8) If you buy a man a fish, he eats for a day... If you teach me to fish, I will then buy a boat, not less than 16 rods and reels, more than a $1,000 in tackle, fish finders, vhf radios, kicker motors, anchors, downriggers, on and on and on...

9) Spending time on a boat is a great way to get alone time with your boys...

10) Did I mention this is a fantastic forum????

·
Registered
611 Posts
1) Twitching jigs for silvers and steelhead can be deadly
2) Mixing cures for eggs can can give you a new and very effective bait
3) This fourm is the best when it comes to people helping others learn
4) How to hammer Kings and bottom fish at port Hardy

·
Registered
110 Posts
1. There are helpful fishing forums like GF, and then there are the "other" ones.
2. You have to fight 40 chums to catch 1 silver
3. Don't fish next to someone using braided line
4. I'll never buy nylon/breathable waders again
5. It's possible to catch fish by hand, and yes they do sleep.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I learned that hand-lining a 9-10 foot salmon shark from 150' down can cause a double (bilateral) hernia, won't be doing that again. :cry:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm with you Gator. I never knew what I was missing until I tried it. Makes it a whole new game.
I also learned that Fireline is not good for total rookies on a baitcaster. Pulling birdnests out is very painful if ya know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I learned that I had more fun watching my 14 y/o get spooled by a king than if it was myself. I also learned that through this site that people are still willing to go out of their way to help a guy out. I have fished with a few of you this year and hope that i fish with more of you next year! Happy new year !!!!

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
I learned lots of things about how to fish for salmon and how to try out various ways of fishing. With the new stuff I was given I will have lots of fun next year in trying out how to fish the river at the bottom of the road.

As usual the members of this site came out trumps for this old man. They were willing to give up their time to give me a holiday to remember. Tup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts