Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preformance marine says water is coming in thru some 3in dia aluminium pipe that over time has been eaten away by the elements.They say there is no way to fix this.Has something to do with water that runs from the exhaust to the outdrive.Wish i had known when we repowered the boat last year.Guess i need a new boat.This really sucks.I;m really upset as the boat was our families first one when i was little and i was so close to having it ready.They said i might find this part from someplace in the midwest from some boat that has never seen saltwater..Wonder if some shop could custom fab this part i need.At least they are not charging me for the diagnostic fee.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Re: well my bay boat is toast

Sorry to hear about your problem. I hope there is a solution out there.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts

From your description it sounds like you need a new YPipe that attaches to the transom plate on the outdrive. You can usually find these on EBay pretty easily.

·
Registered
104 Posts

You could always try Bayside Marine.?

·
Premium Member
32,972 Posts

gljjr said:
From your description it sounds like you need a new YPipe that attaches to the transom plate on the outdrive.
That exactly what I was thinking. Should be able to find one someplace. What year and make is the outdrive??

·
Registered
41 Posts

If its a volvo you have there was one on the local seattle craigslist yesterday, or sunday. Guy only wanted about 150.00 for it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

1968 mercruiser 120. 4cyl chev..outdrive was gone thru when we put the new motor in.When we first ran the motor when we got it back there were no leaks anywhere.This pipe must of rotted thru during this winter.Boat sat idle for 6 months.I;ll get what this part is when i go get the boat tomorrow.Only thing i really heard from the guy at preformance was.Its leaking like a garden hose and we cant fix it...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

You could always buy my boat, it doesn't have any holes... ;)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Call this guy 503-366-0823, I almost guarantee he has one and he will ship it up asap, he has always come thru for the hard to find inboard/outdrive parts, Fastfish

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well here is the deal.The part in question is the intermediate outdrive housing thats been eaten away by long term use in salt and freshwater.Over the years it has gradually been going away and now its so far gone away that it finally is leaking.The good side is Dave at Bayside thinks he might have a couple laying around his shop.Waiting on a call for certain on this.Only bad thing is the engine and outdrive have to come out to put the part back in.Probably know by the end of the week if its going to work.Alternative is to repower with a new engine and outdrive assembly and Dave said 9 grand for that.Also they could mount some kind of offshore bracket and hang a 115 off of it for around the same price.He has the same exact boat and did the offshore bracket conversion.I;m not spending that much i;ll get a new North River Seahawk and have all new equipment.Its time to let the old girl go i think..

·
Registered
8,509 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, you could get a nice price for that new motor as there are thousands of Merc 470 motors out there. Hate to hear something like this.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts

Johnguz76, I think you could do that OB bracket conversion for around $6500. I have been looking at the offshore brackets on-line and I think you could find one for $1500 to $2000. Figure $750 to $1000 to fill in your transom and another $3500 to $4000 for a used but relatively new OB with controls. It is a fair amount of work but definitely not impossible. Matter of fact there was a stainless steel off shore bracket on Ebay the other night and it was about $700.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts

IMHO I would not go the offshore bracket way. The transom is not designed for the weight so to do it right you would want to rebuild the whole transom IMHO. I had a similar dilemma when I needed to repower my C-Dory. I'll be taking an extra close look at my out drive parts before re-installing the motor this spring.

That sucks that the Transom Adapter went bad on you! I'm surprised that wasn't checked when the engine was out last year. I don't believe that it wasn't showing signs of being bad then. When changing it (if you do) be sure to re-align the motor to the outdrive. Otherwise you might be in need of a new gimbal bearing (read U-Joint) before you would normally.

·
Registered
428 Posts

You might check out Doug Russell Marine, they have a lot of odd stuff.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts

The transom is not designed for the weight so to do it right you would want to rebuild the whole transom IMHO.
That would depend on the style of bracket to be used. However, it really isn't that big of deal to remove the wood from the inside of the transom. All that is required is a good Sawzall and lots of blades. Heck, OB1 hollowed out the entire inside of a 24 foot Glasply down to the fiberglass shell and hauled it off to be all rebuilt inside last summer. There was literally no wood left inside. He had to brace it all up inside with 2 x 4's just so it wouldn't snap in half going down the road.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

We have decided if we do repair the thing to go to the new sterndrive combination.Wife doesnt like the idea of having some hokey bracket hanging off the thing.It wouldnt fit in my garage anyhow.I have a foot to spare now..

·
Registered
110 Posts

johnguz76 said:
Well here is the deal.The part in question is the intermediate outdrive housing thats been eaten away by long term use in salt and freshwater.Over the years it has gradually been going away and now its so far gone away that it finally is leaking.The good side is Dave at Bayside thinks he might have a couple laying around his shop.Waiting on a call for certain on this.Only bad thing is the engine and outdrive have to come out to put the part back in.Probably know by the end of the week if its going to work.Alternative is to repower with a new engine and outdrive assembly and Dave said 9 grand for that.Also they could mount some kind of offshore bracket and hang a 115 off of it for around the same price.He has the same exact boat and did the offshore bracket conversion.I;m not spending that much i;ll get a new North River Seahawk and have all new equipment.Its time to let the old girl go i think

True wisdom right there.... the market is pretty soft right now, and there are still deals to be had. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing.....

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Hey Johnguz, I have a complete "Series One' Mercruiser Intermediate and gimbal assembly. Check with your guys and if it fits I will make you a pretty good deal, I have all of the parts on hand to install a new gimball baearing, Driveshaft bellows, Shift bellows,and shift cable it is even complete with trim rams. It is actually part of a complete Mercruiser Drive package that came in a boat that I had. It was originally for a V-8 but that doesn't matter on the gimbal and intermediate only the drive itself.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

OB1 what year is this out of...Bayside didnt have one..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts