Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've asked before but this boat shopping has been harder than I thought. The TJ Luxor I was looking got sold so next is a Maverick 186. Any experiences with Weldcraft boats? This one has the offshore bracket.

Any help/ thoughts/ comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have owned a Weldcraft Renegade sled for a couple years and really enjoyed it. I know a guy who owns the boat you are looking at and I'll see him tomorrow and tell him to drop you a line. He has said good things but I haven't fished it yet.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Weldcraft makes a good boat, but I think the 186 may be a little short for an OS bracket. Most of the ones I see on the water seem to be stern heavy from the motor setting off the back. There just sint enough freeboard in the water to offset the pendelum effect of the OS bracket. The 201 DV (20 footer) doesnt seem to have this issue, nor does the 20' TJ Luxor. Same holds true with the 18' NR's VS the NR boats that are over 20 feet.

I think you should be able to find a 20 TJ for about the same price as a 186DV as well. You'll never be unhappy by having that extra 2 feet either...

I see them in the Trader and Craigslist from time to time...

heres one at a dealer: http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006- ... r-91087674

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I can't speak for the Maverick but I own a Weldcraft 17 Angler SE and I love it. Very well built boats, lots of options for them as well. I wish I could have gone bigger but $ and garage space was the ultimate decision. One thing I wish i would have done is got the custom paint. I wanted it to match my truck, but didnt want to wait the 10-14 weeks for it to arrive. Can I ask where you are looking at the 186?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have the maverick that FBMOST mentioned. I have been very happy with my boat and have a list of people that love to go out with me, so if I am alone its because I want to be.Everyone that has been in it like the way that it handles the water, and how it can cruise.They especially like the air ride seats.It handles water better than a buddies 22 foot campion fisherman.With the 115 on mine I can cruise at thirty and it will flat out above 40. I don't know about the larger boat but I will stay with mine,it is very economical to to run and paired with the t-8 with the 42 gallon tank i have alot of options.I have all the electronics along with a radar arch and rocket launchers. I am very happy with mine.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Hi have the Maverick 201DV And I have been nothing but pleased with it. It is wide, stable and rides nice. The tops on these boats do not have to be collapsed for traveling. If I had it to do over again I would purchase the same boat. I have had it in some nasty stuff but have not yet gotten out on big blue with it but that is due to the skills of the boat owner not the boat! You can bungee a Mr. Heater right on the little step in the front, and it will heat the cabin up beyond what you want to be comfortable in.

I test drove the 186 with a 115 and I prefer the 201 with the 150. The extra horsepower is nice and I think a 115 might be a little bit underpowered but saying that, I think the whole discussion is somewhat of a sales gimmick. How fast do you really want to go to get to your spot? Do you really need to go 40+ and how much is that worth to you has to be figured in. If you are going to pull wake boarders or skiers then the HP is important.

I went with the pillar in the back for towing wake boarders etc. and if I had had unlimited funds I would have went with the fish box and gotten a tower. That is still on the agenda at some point, but the pillar is actually nice for getting in and out etc. and doesn't get in the way.

I have the T-8 kicker and it does great.

HAVE THEM PUT SHARKHIDE ON IT!!! WORTH EVERY PENNY!!

I love the boat! If you have any questions or if you want to do a test run sometime, zap me note and I will see what I can do. My schedule is kind of goofy for the next couple of weeks as I am coming up on papers and finals, but I am sure something could be worked out.

Here are some pics.

In Hunting Mode

Fish can occasionally be caught on it!

Top water for Great White sharks....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for their input. Ya know, you can't get this much info just anywhere (thanks Bruce). I also appreciate the offer of the boat ride WidgeonMGH but I am off to Lk. Tahuya where the boat is for a test run in one hour. I'll be looking for how it sits in the water too Olybirds, I thought your comment on that was interesting. I wonder if that balance characteristic isn't part of the reason that NR's bracket is built from the keel up rather than as an add-on to the transom.

I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I think NR changed the way they were doing it because they had cracking problems with the old way.
That whole offshore bracket discussion has a lot of components to it. (No expert here) I just know I havn't had any problems with mine.

Enjoy the test run! Look forward to hearing about the results.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Hey I forgot to ask what year is the boat? Before Renaissance Marine Group, Inc combined Duckworth and Weldcraft there were a couple of years of quality issues. After the combination heads rolled and the line was improved greatly. I believe the problems were fixed (post 2000) before the Maverick line actually came out so I think you are ok. But just curious.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Oly and Widgeon called it. The WC Maverick 186 (a nice `03) was in great shape but it felt small and the 115 seemed like not enough motor. Had to run it pretty hard (4000-5000 RPM) to get it moving. It's not like I do wakeboarding but my old 17' Alumaweld Formula-Vee (also an 18 degree stern) damn near hit 50 with my 115 Yammy 2 stroke and the top down so I suppose I may have unrealsitc expectations. Or maybe an unrealistic budget :| ...

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
keep your eyes peeled, with spring approaching, many people will start advertising their boats for sale... I still cant believe that price last month on that TJ. That was a steal!

There will be more deals..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts