Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one ever look at Barometric pressure maps ?
If you look at today we are in the middle of two lows ,One low S By So SW S California direction , The lower Millibars is to the N NE N Canada direction explaining the wind direction , And we are In the General Middle of the lows Or in the higher pressure area , explaining the Little bit of sun ,
Any one ever try to equate Barometric pressure Along with rain and water flow data with fishing ,
As In I hear people say when the Barometer changes so the does the fishing ,
Briefly I was a commercial fisherman and we use to have to read the weather fax wich has a explanation of what the shapes on it mean on the back , And watch the barometer and tell the skipper what was going on in relation to all this wich included if the barometer suddenly drops we knew it was going to BLOW ,
So repeat of the main question is
Any one vere notice for instance if stable pressure ,Or the weather map showing a possibility of stab;e pressure Is an indicator of good fishing ?
Or when you see a low directly west of the area do you know this will bring the rain ? And a sudden change equating to bad fishing ?
Or any info you debate having to do with the barometric pressure maps ?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
CLO - I have heard that fish bite best when the pressure is between 29.90 and 30.10 inches. Additionally, I have heard that fish bite best on a rising barometer rather than a falling one. I have no empirical data to prove or disprove.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a Speeedtech portable weather station and monitor the pressure before a trip to the salt. If the pressure is stable or climbing , great, if its falling I wont go. The relashionship with pressure and salmon in the salt has proven itself to me too many times to be ignored IMO. Jason.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't know about Steelhead, but a sudden low can really negatively affect bass fishing.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
fishin musician said:
I don't know about Steelhead, but a sudden low can really negatively affect bass fishing.
Walleye too!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ron Wilson was a full time guide on the Cowlitz in its hay day he did a 20 year study when both salmon and steelhead where most active I don't remember the exact is was somewhere between 29.00 and 31.00 barometric pressue the sweet spot was somewhere in the middle he caught 80% of all his fish during the 20 year study. I don't believe this was ever published would have been a nice article to have.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
We had this discussion awhile back you might be able to do a search on the old forum and find it.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
eddie said:
CLO - I have heard that fish bite best when the pressure is between 29.90 and 30.10 inches. Additionally, I have heard that fish bite best on a rising barometer rather than a falling one. I have no empirical data to prove or disprove.
This jives with what I've heard too. It also theoretically applies to hunting game as well.

I have a tendency to think that in addition to the atmospheric conditions, the success rate is good when pressure is rising or steady because during those conditions the weather is generally nice, and you are more likely to be out fishing then.

·
Banned
13 Posts
I know the best Sturgeon fishing for me has been when there is a nice stable high pressure system in place. Though when I used to crab it seemed we would fill the holds when there was a nasty blow going on so that shoots part of that idea. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts