Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone remember this publication? this issue has been kickin aroung my garage for 29 years. i was messin around in the garage and saw it and thought id share with the gamefishers. this issue is from 1/2/1979

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I grew up reading that magazine. Good stuff in there. The King County Library system used to carry it--they probably have it still in archives and available for checkout.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya, i used to love that rag. they had detailed maps and diagrams of exactly where to cast and access trails. you only get that info on gamefishen these days...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've still got 4 or 5 of the annuals I still look at. Sure can tell from the old pics what time period it is. I think there is still some good info, tho some of it is a bit out of date. Like fishing for steelhead at the locks, or in the Sammamish Slough, or cod fishing at Jeff Head. Still fun to look at though.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya man...ive lived in kirkland all my life and since then, the samamish slough has turned into a river...what a joke that is. i drive over the "alledged river" every day heading north on 405 on my way to work, and as i drop down to the bothell interchange, just past the 160th, i always look to see if i can see fish surfacing or birds or whatever, and there is a little tuft of land jutting out where in my younger days, there was always some ol' buzzard standin there with his plunkin spike set up just waitin for a steelie. now its a river...jeez my buddy used to to slam salmon in there back in like 1978 or so. wow how things have changed. i used to go up to the tolt and hike in. and there, were the coolest fishy holes youd ever seen. the last time i was up there, and granted that was a long time ago, but id hike down someones fench line over a beaver dam and that was the coolest spot opening up to a perfect steelhead hole that no one knew about. i used to catch steelhead on friggen nightcrawlers. but as i was eluding to, the last time i was there, across the river where that fishy hole was, was bulldozed all the damn way down to the river and the big tree shading the hole was gone. i almost cried. all for the sake of some jaggass developer trying to screw someone to fatten his wallet. thats progress, oh well....whaddayadoo...i am a native of this area, unlike most people around here anymore, i guess thats why it smacks me in the huevos so hard to think of this crap...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
crop duster i know want u mean about the sammish river and the tolt i have lived all my life in redmond there use to be so many salmon and steelhead run up that slough it wasnt even funny

·
Registered
606 Posts
I golf on Tuesdays at Wayne in Bothell. That's not something I really wanted to see in print sick: , but my point was going to be that we would see salmon every fall jumping in the slough. Last fall I didn't see a single one. :cry:

·
Registered
910 Posts
There had to be some come through the slough because the Issaquah hatchery got back like 10,000 kings and 5,000 coho.

SCARBOO

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
this was a great information magazine for our northwest Puget sound area.
a couple noted contributing authors; Milt Keizer, John Thomas. Steelheader experts.

·
Registered
606 Posts
SCARBOO said:
There had to be some come through the slough because the Issaquah hatchery got back like 10,000 kings and 5,000 coho.

SCARBOO
They must not have come thru on Tuesdays wink: I remember thinking at the time it was strange, because it was the first year we hadn't seen any. The eagles were there though, so there must have been some in the river.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I always loved reading that magazine. I think I still have several of the old issues out in my garage some where.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Major said:
I always loved reading that magazine. I think I still have several of the old issues out in my garage some where.
Nice Save!
I also kept as many issues as I could, with the intent of cutting out the topo maps to make my own folder for future reference. That never happened, and I've moved several times since then so I'm sure they've disapeared. I'm glad most of that info is available now on-line, and it's sure nice to have a resource at my fingertips to remind me of all the stuff I've forgotten.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I too remember that publication all to well. I had found a shelf of them at a used book store as a twelve year old and just had to have them. I saved any money I could and bought them asap eventually ending up with quite a few and some great reading for a kid very interested in fishing - those magazines put alot of happy daydreams in my head back then. Well come just after I turned 18 my mom threw them all out when I was on a camping trip - uggh!(she said they looked old and beat up - yes they were, and they were cherished as such). Still pushes my button whenever I think about it.

Speaking of button pushing, I definately hear ya Cropduster - born and raised in Puget Sound, and it can be really tough to see all the "progress" that has occured in this state. :(

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I used to love that mag. As a kid I did my damdest to fish those places and in turn found many more. I miss them...and their tips.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Fun rag....think I still have a few issues lying around myself.

crop duster said:
....the coolest spot opening up to a perfect steelhead hole that no one knew about....
Well......there may have been a few folks who knew ;) (I recollect a few of those 'perfect holes' up there back in the late 70's) just didn't talk about 'em much & didn't see many folks in there.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
fishin musician said:
I golf on Tuesdays at Wayne in Bothell. That's not something I really wanted to see in print sick: , but my point was going to be that we would see salmon every fall jumping in the slough. Last fall I didn't see a single one. :cry:
i used to golf there 3 times a week just because it was so close to home back in the day, but i have shot some of my best scores there. a 78 and two 79's. i used to love the second hole, smackin the second shot on the green puttin for eagle. and the third, on in one, that was a good feeling. usually boged the first. mayfly is a goffer too maybe we should go smack a few. i know i miss it and i am sure aaron does, as he used to work at inglewood cc. i used to shoot 79 to 85 consistently but after getting into fishing my goff game prolly sucks a big one. but it would be fun to empty the bag of those unsightly beerz and smack a few. anyone up for smackin some in the trees i am sure the fly and i would love to hook up. there used to be good burgers in the club house too. now look what you've done, got all jacked for some GOFFFFFFFFF! thinkin of judge schmalles on caddy shackkk :lol:

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
about 7 or 8 years ago i recieved several boxes full of old fishing holes magazines and annuals, mostly dating from the late '70s into the early '90s. there's some really good info in there, especially since a lot of it covers techniques that have seemingly been forgotten about(but work as well, or sometimes better than all the modern gear!)

one article that always interested me was september. coho fishing on the puyallup below anton's restaraunt. it says that the fishing is always better in the early mornings due to less silt in the glacial runoff. it says that the tackle of choice were mainly spinners and krocodile spoons, with the odd duck drifting eggs on a 12" leader.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts