Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across an interesting article in a trade magazine. It seems that between 1983 and 1986 Chile attempted ocean ranching Chinook salmon. They set up hatcheries and received their original fertilized eggs from UW broodstock. The Pacific ocean ranching program was unsuccessful.

Twenty years later there are established populations of Chinook salmon in at least one remote river on the Atlantic Ocean side of South America in Argentina and DNA testing has established that these are salmon from the UW broodstock. If you look at a map, you see that the salmon released in Chile migrated probably a thousand miles around the southern tip of South America. No one is sure how many rivers have reproducing populations of Washington Chinook Salmon, but they know the Santa Cruz River has at least hundreds of fish. I guess this is just another non-native invasive species, but it is kind of cool. They now want to check out the Gallegos River because it is more remote and likely to support Chinook salmon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Well that's certainly interesting! Can you share the link (or publication info) for the story? I'd like to follow-up. Thanks for sharing Tup: .

·
Registered
145 Posts
When our Endangered Wild Chinook Salmon are gone maybe they will give us some eggs to bring the fish back. The way things are going now it could happen sooner than we all think. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts