Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys know anything about them? If so I have a buddy with one in his boat that's not workin. It's mounted in the front of the boat and works for just a second then cuts out. He also blows fuses just about every time he uses it. Is it time for a new one? Lines open from the intake to the pump.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If the fuse is blowing, there is too much amperage draw. You have to find out why.

-is the fuse too small (per the manufacturers spec)?
-is the pump spinning freely under no load?
-is the wiring for the pump too small a gauge?
-is the switch bad?

Most likely suspect is a bad pump, but you want to check things out before he shells out the $$$ for a new one.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pump is pretty new and he says it's hasn't worked since day one. It pulsates on and off when it somewhat works then blows the 20 amp fuse.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have a jabsco parmax.

I've had two problems. One was a switch for the diaphram at the top of the pump. You could by the switch separate.

Second was saltwater intrusion into the pump that locked the entire pump. That one I had to replace the entire pump.

Both caused fuses to blow after about a one one-second count after switching the pump on.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Pump is in front of boat. Where is the pickup? Might be trying to run too far before it reaches the pump.

I originally mounted my pump up front but it was too far to pull the water from the stern. Put pump in stern and troubles were gone.

oldguy

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
The pump is pretty new and he says it's hasn't worked since day one. It pulsates on and off when it somewhat works then blows the 20 amp fuse.
Id Take it back for a refund!!!

ok J/k

Since you say the pump is in front, and I assume the inlet is in the back, that might be too much work on the pump to draw the water that far, and overheats the pump and pops the fuse.

Could also be a bad spot in the wire somewhere between the pump and the battery. If that wire is exposed and wet when you turn it on, it could short it out..

·
Registered
63 Posts
A few suggestions...

1. Determine the total power wire length (Positive and ground sides) and be sure the wire is large enough gauge to handle a 20 amp load for that length.

2. Depending on what might be ingested into the pump an inline filter before the pump will keep bad things out and prevent damage.

3. It's best to mount a washdown pump with the motor end up and the pump end down. If the pump or fittings leak it keeps the water out of the motor.

4. Take the pump apart and inspect it for contamination in the pump chamber and that the motor turns easily without binding.

Washdown pumps are so useful that I consider it "must have" equipment. I replaced my "Blaster" with a "Blaster Plus" and preferred the old one.

NWFisher

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Olybirds said:
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
Id Take it back for a refund!!!

ok J/k

Since you say the pump is in front, and I assume the inlet is in the back, that might be too much work on the pump to draw the water that far, and overheats the pump and pops the fuse.

Could also be a bad spot in the wire somewhere between the pump and the battery. If that wire is exposed and wet when you turn it on, it could short it out..
I think your right!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts