Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed to fill the void from the end of river salmon to bass fishing so, much to my wife's displeasure, I have now taken up steelhead. I believe that when you start a new fish hit the same water untill you get the technique,etc. down. Well the Green has been that river every Sunday (I work 6 days a week) and holiday since the new year. I've been from below FG park to the Headwaters and many places in between with one fish on the first day (broke off)to show for it. I got it down, just did'nt always have the luck. Anyways, I had a day off, was making the trip from Bremerton to the Green and got called into work around Fife and had to turn back. It would be the last day for me before the Green closed. Now, I NEED to catch a fish. I can't go the season w/o one. I know as a small lake basser that I don't like disclosing my spots, but I need help! I can't fight the Cow, that stuff just gets me mad and gets my daughter frustrated as well. We will hike anywhere to get a fish. Does anybody have any ideas? Baslayr

·
Banned
109 Posts
Ive told and re-told this many times, sit down and look at a washington gazateer map and/or look at steelhead smolt plants on the wdfw website. Few people such as myself are not gonna tell you favorite spots because if we do..... well then you create another version of the Cowlitz in January. Its great to hear that your willing to learn a river and stick to it, many people simply dont have the patience to do what you are willing to do. Keep at it and you will be catching them in no time.

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
First off, WELCOME TO THE BEST FISHING FORUM THIS SIDE OF THE ASTRIOD BELT!

You can get a nice reference guide such as "Washington River Maps & Fishing Guide by Frank Amato Publications. It lists some brief details of rivers near you and throughout Washington. This guide can be found in many sporting goods stores.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Some rivers to try:

Lewis, Stilly, Toutle, hoh, the nooch'.

Hope I don't get flamed for revealing someone's spot. Definately get a good map and do your own research. Look at smolt plants and river levels. Google earth is a huge resource.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
In before we have a debate about 1. The crowding of Washington State and 2. The flaming of people who reveal spots.

To the OP: Good for you to learn the rivers! Take s alot of pateince, something I definitely lack. That Washington Tivers map from Amato publishers is a good place to start, as is Google Earth. Also, a case of beer usually loosens some lips as well! Good luck and remember kids, its all about having fun, not arguing about having fun........

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Ive told and re-told this many times, sit down and look at a washington gazateer map "

Thats the way I found most of my bass spots. The problem I'm having is with one day off a week I can easily waste a day just looking. I see that I'll have to learn the spots before I fish them. I was'nt trolling, just looking for help.

·
Registered
351 Posts
ok baslayr...their is nothing wrong with the cowlitz,you dont have to fish blue creek, barrier dam has plenty of fish to be had,(THAT IS NO SECRET).Kalama,lewis,skookumchuck,etc,are going to be your best bets for the famous metalhead.However you are entering the tail end of most runs right now and we all are getting ready for the most lovely fish of them all....THE SPRINGER!!!!So there is some info for you to work with,and what you do with that info is your business...Good Luck Tup: Tup:

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
don't most of the rivers close March 1?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
for next year you may want to check out the lyre, or that unfamous SW river by chehalis that gets thousands of fish caught out of it each year

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Lyre is one of those rivers that interest me, I fished it a few years back. My uncle lives up there so it gives me a place to stay if my day goes too long. I need more smaller rivers like that one. There is another small one that I won't mention that is up in that neck of the woods, so I could do both.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts