Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the entire series the times did on the UW Football program, I was amazed. While being aware of the events happening, I had no idea of the depth of the problems, the cover-ups allowed by coaches, law enforcement, and the university. I was especially taken back by the letter from CW's brother yesterday, stating that he wished he'd know about these things in time to do something about them.... that says a lot about cover-ups when family isn't even made aware.

After reading the completed series, I think I changed my mind about Ty Willingham. Having no idea of the depth of turmoil he inherited, the progress he's made in terms of student first, athlete second, I think he should be given a few more years latitude on the wins/losses.

I am really curious on what other people though about the series. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Re: "Victory to Ruins" - Seattle Times Report

I agree with you 100%. Some of these things that happened are truly disgusting. Stevens is a shame upon the University and many of the other players were given WAY to many chances, one is sometimes too many. Did you read the story about the football player turned student who is now going for his PhD , stories like that help me keep the faith but otherwise I am happy I am going to be a sundevil. Sad for the dawgs and all the kids whose lives are being taken advantage of by the school.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts

The term "student athlete" is a real misnomer in big time college football. Football program income really funds all of the other sports. If a university wants serious alumni donations they must put a winning football program in front of them. How do you win? You put the best athletes available on the field. That means they "special admit" athletes that don't have the academic credentials for admission, let alone have the ability to successfully participate in the academic programs. They also admit out and out thugs that should be in the prison system rather than in college. Most big time schools really don't give a rip about a kid graduating. All they want is them to stay around as long as they have NCAA eligability. Once the athlete uses up his eligability its see ya. Didn't make the pros? Too bad...
It took real courage for the Times to run these articles.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

I was pretty surprised too. I knew of some things, but a lot went unreported. I am not a Husky fan, so I get a little chuckle out of the story, but I am sure this is happening at all levels and schools. I am more angry the the Prosecuting Attorneys office than anything. And the system fails again. :roll:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been looking through the reader responses on this series... Its scary. There are quite a few people who are in denial over this stuff. The "it happens everywhere" theme is reoccuring. some were complaining about the timing of the articles. There were quite a few UW alumni who were in favor of the series.

Any way you slice it, it makes you to think about whats important in college sports.

·
Registered
617 Posts
As much as I enjoy the rivalry, can't help but feel sorry for the 100+ football players that will forever be linked to the troubled few.
How come"Swahili 101" wasn't available when I went to school?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I am with Elkrun. The story itself was extremely frustrating and maddening, but the scary part was the people complaining about running the article. There will never be any incentive to make an attempt to correct this stuff if it is continually swept under the rug. Congrats to the Times for running the article.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
As a Husky I am not shocked to hear/read about this stuff, and it does piss me off. Unfortunately it happens at other schools as well, but maybe not all around the same time period like it did at the UW. But It just confirms everything about slick Rick and his lies and lack of values. I am so glad he is gone. He destroyed the program and its takes a guy like Ty to build it up with his reputation and values. At least we know we getting moral and high charactor kids now in the program. Great program with winning history, and one bad jerk apple to take it down. Thats why its so important on who you hire, right Barbara!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The article was even mentioned today on ESPN. Apparently this is the anniversary of J. Stevens making his infamous superbowl comment about the Bettis not getting his trophy. They mentioned the recent article outlining his troubles with violence and the law.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Glad to see it closed on a good note though. I didn't realize Ty had so much on his plate. Great series, and glad to see it got more attention than just the local press.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts