Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd throw it out there.

As all of us are starting to hit the water a little harder and bringing the boat out of storage, now's the time for the coast guard vessel safety check.

http://vesselsafetycheck.org

Sorry if I'm stepping on any toes by posting the site. I just think its worth the time to get it done to make sure you have what you need out there. Heck, in the long run it may save your life, if not save you from getting a ticket. And, if nothing else, if the coast guard wants to check you on the water, you'll have your inspection sticker and their check sheet.

One of the Tacoma inspector's will be at my house on Monday to do my inspection.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Nothing wrong with a little reminder. Flares seem to go out of date when you don't check them. And as far a safety goes I always carry a small first aid kit. I didn't at first but my 3 year old fell over in the boat and wacked his head on one of the corneres on a seat box in my alumaweld. It sucks when all you have to hold against a wound is a stinky hand towel that you have been wiping smelly jelly on all day. I don't think it is even required to carry a small first aid kit. Have a safe summer all. clap:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Good reminder....got my VSC last month. It's a very enjoyable process. The inspectors are all volunteer (USCG Auxillary)and do a great job. It takes all of 10minutes and many of them will come out to your home or you can meet them somewhere close. Post that little sticker on your port side and your chances of a CG boarding go down dramatically. Also, some insurance companies might give a discount for a current VSC.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did it cost you anything to have your boat inspected at your house or is that kind of the norm on how its done in this state? I would assume there is a number to call for an appointment. I would really lke to have this done and could use any info from you to help me set this up as I have never been through one of these here before. I have all the required equipment on the list as well as the stuff that isn't required but should be there for a "just in case" scenario so I have no doubt that I will pass. Thanks for any help or advice you may have. The White Possum

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
tictac - thanks for the heads up. Never hurts to get checked out.

Possum - follow the link in the first post, it'll lead you to an email contact. I did this yesterday and am waiting for the volunteer inspector to email me.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Go to the web site, you enter your zip code and it gives you the nearest inspector.

Fill out the form and they contact you.

There is no cost. They will come to you, or you can meet them somewhere.

The guy that will be coming is going to meet me at my house as he's not that far away. I will offer him gas money, but I don't know if they can accept that or not. I'll find out on monday.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There is a checklist of required items and items they *like* to see...print it out from the VSC site and use it to make sure you have all the requirements aboard before they come out to inspect.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a Sheriff inspect my boat at Drano lake last year, I thought that odd, but I guess it is their other duty as a peace officer in that area. I took the 8 week Coast Guard class 2 years ago and recommend it to everyone. I also took the boat out yesterday out of Kalama and ran it around and fired up the kicker motor also( replaced lower gear oil) . All things checked out and I ready to go!!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Good to remind everyone of this valuable service provided free by the CGA.

Every year they are set up at John Wayne Marina in Sequim during the Disco Derby, I always get mine done then as everything is right there.

If you keep a copy of the inspection sheet handy, you can most likely avoid an on the water inspection if you show it before they want to look at your boat and equipment.

I fish at La Push quite a bit every year and have yet to have the CG want to look past the inspection sticker or the form. Saves lots of time and potential hassles. wink:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WaveDancer said:
I fish at La Push quite a bit every year and have yet to have the CG want to look past the inspection sticker or the form. Saves lots of time and potential hassles. wink:
I'll agree. Also works at Sekiu. Not that the sticker is a guaranteed pass, but at least they know that you cared enough to get it done, so usually they just move on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts