Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I was suprised how old the fish was.

Biologist Releases Fish In 1983, Catches It 25 Years Later

GREEN RIVER, Wyo. -- Some people catch fish and release them. Bill Wengert releases them and then catches them -- a quarter-century later.

In April 1983, Wengert and other state Game and Fish Department biologists stocked some 12,000 young trout in the Flaming Gorge Reservoir in southwest Wyoming.

Game and Fish spokeswoman Lucy Wold said Wengert was ice fishing recently on the 91-mile-long reservoir and caught a 23-inch Mackinaw trout, a type of lake trout.

Wengert noticed the trout's right pelvic fin had been clipped, indicating it was a hatchery fish that had been stocked. Examining historical stocking data, Wengert determined the fish was stocked on April 14, 1983.

"I may have actually clipped the fins on this very fish, and I know I was driving the barge when the fish were stocked, nearly 25 years ago," Wengert said.

Wengert, a 35-year veteran of the agency, estimated the trout was 26 years old because stocked fish spend a year in a hatchery before being released. But he said it was very skinny, weighing only 2.5 pounds, compared to another trout released at the same time that weighed 17 pounds when it was caught in 2004.

He said the trout will allow fishery biologists "an opportunity to learn more about fish genetics, age and growth of lake trout in the reservoir."

·
Registered
434 Posts
who knows, lack of nutrition, maybe a parasite? About 5 years ago I put a 3lb bass in a family members pond, along with some small trout. The bass is still there now, and i doubt that fish has grown a bit since the time he was put in. The trout on the otherhand have gotten up to 10 pounds on a healthy diet of dog food. We've fed the bass goldfish, but with the lack of steady food, that fish hasn't been able to continue growing...

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
ditto, if the fish grew less than 1" per year he's got another study on his hands. the flaming gorge res is well documented for having big macks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i would like a scale or otilith sample to confirm a 23 inch mack is that old....(i understand parasites etc) but based on the other fish size in that lake seems the fish would be much larger at that age. ...Could it be that a fish lost its fin by another angler playing a tagging game to see if he catches the same fish twice? or naturally in a battle with another fish?

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
HYPOTHESIS: This scientist clipped this fish 25 years ago. RESEARCH: The fish is 23" CONCLUSION: This scientist DID NOT clip this fish 25 years ago

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Clockwork said:
HYPOTHESIS: This scientist clipped this fish 25 years ago. RESEARCH: The fish is 23" CONCLUSION: This scientist DID NOT clip this fish 25 years ago
I agree, something's fishy with this story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts