Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one done them? i can get the install tool and the joints for around $450, which is still cheaper than the cheapest quote i got. just wondering what i'm in for.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have not done them but had all but the steering arm done on my F350 for 850.00, its quite a bit more than you can just buy the parts for but depending on time it was worth it to me.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheSilverSlayer said:
Why do the ball joints on your 04' rig need replacing?

Sell it and get a duramax.
the r-side upper & lower are making a sickly creaking and sort of a grinding sound. theres no wierd tire wear yet but i need to get it fixed before i start pulling my trailer. i heard that this is pretty common with the f-350's. sick:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
eggster said:
TheSilverSlayer said:

the r-side upper & lower are making a sickly creaking and sort of a grinding sound. theres no wierd tire wear yet but i need to get it fixed before i start pulling my trailer. i heard that this is pretty common with the f-350's. sick:
Big tires? Lift?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hunter P said:
eggster said:
TheSilverSlayer said:

Big tires? Lift?
not at all, just alot of miles. i bought it used with 96,000 on it and it had a 5th wheel hitch in the back so i assumed that it probably made a trip or two to arizona or someplace warm.my f-150 was having a hard time pulling my trailer so i upgraded to the powerstroke. no towing problems any more, just nickle and dime stuff is going to catch up to me, which i dont mind fixing. i was hoping someone on the site did them before so i know what i'm in for.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Thats strange, the only ball joint I've done were on old cars. Did them on my 74 chevy p/u and helped on a 68 chevelle. Dont know about the new rigs though. Get a good service manual, it cant be too hard.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lip Ripper said:
If you have vacuum operated 4x4 hubs you won't have the tools to do them. They are not fun.
ive got the manual hubs locking hubs. what special tools are needed for the vacuum operated ones?.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I had mine done and went with the replacements that have the zirk fitting for grease. Greaseless joints make no sense to me.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
All I can say is have "FUN" out there drilling those big a$$ rivots out, thats the hardest (most time consuming) part of the whole job, air chisels work but are very noisy.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FDB said:
All I can say is have "FUN" out there drilling those big a$$ rivots out, thats the hardest (most time consuming) part of the whole job, air chisels work but are very noisy.
rivets???? conf: the ends of the joints are threaded with nuts on them. just like a tie rod end. my wifes durango had 3 rivets holding them in but all i did there was take a cut-off wheel and make a cross shape (plus) cut in them and chiseled those right out.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Ah yes, air makes things so much easier, huh? Standard stuff on a 4x4 you have to tear everything down, hubs, pull the spindles, possibly the axles, and then most times on a 4x4 they are pressed in. The '04 I don't know about, but I would assume same. I hammer them out with a 4lb. hammer and press them back in with a huge C-clamp and some big sockets. Takes a day to do a side, you might be able to do it faster. With that many miles, might as well do bearings while you have it apart.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steve Ericsson said:
Ah yes, air makes things so much easier, huh? Standard stuff on a 4x4 you have to tear everything down, hubs, pull the spindles, possibly the axles, and then most times on a 4x4 they are pressed in. The '04 I don't know about, but I would assume same. I hammer them out with a 4lb. hammer and press them back in with a huge C-clamp and some big sockets. Takes a day to do a side, you might be able to do it faster. With that many miles, might as well do bearings while you have it apart.
should be able to round up a BIG hammer and a c-clamp . gotta love a little monster garage now and then
Tup:

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Oh yeah!!! wink:

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ball joint update. was no problem to do. the only thing i had to do was make a "special" tool to install the knuckle seal. it consisted of a round piece of steel with a hole in the center. the o.d. was the same size as the seal. welded a piece of pipe to it so it would clear the axle shaft and installed the seal no problem. they get 175.00 for them online. took a total of 2 hours to do one side. Tup:

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Glad to hear it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts