Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys, I'm new to wing shooting, however I have broken enough clays to want to try something new. Right now I'm just in the R&D phase, but I was wondering if any of you more experienced hunters could point me in the direction of some public lands in Eastern Washington where various species of upland game can be found. Now, I'm now looking for anyone's specret spots, as I would rather find my own. I live in Ellensburg so I guess the closer to home, the better. Other then that, I was curious as to what gun/choke/ammo combos you all use and for what species you use them. I'm in the process of picking up a rem 870 in 20 gauge, so any recomondations about 20 gauge ammo would be especially appreciated.

Any other bits of info will be appreciate too. Thanks for readin'

-TheSlayer

·
2,222 Posts
Well Mr, Slayer, you're asking for big trouble. Actually if you have gone this far I can honestly say you're already screwed.

I'm gonna say something to you that I was told, and ignored. That is until I began doing upland hunting. You're now in the market for a dog. You're in luck though because the magic dog I bought comes from a breeder in Ellensburg. The same parents are having another litter this year. Many are likely already purchased and they have not even bred yet!

In anycase start the search now for a dog if you don't already have access to one. The upland hunting with a dog is off the charts better then beating the bush without one. I would probably still hunt without a dog, but it would never EVER be the same for me. My little pup if you read some other posts I have here is the whole enjoyment in this hunting for me now.

Aside from that there are a number of state release sites where they release Pheasants during the season. Since the season is over now, it might be worth the effort to hit Cook Canyon Ranch for a few Hunt club birds. Once you see the dogs work you're gonna be hooked, I promise you. As far as guns go the 870 is a classic, I shoot a 12 guage so I cannot comment on shells with a 20. Lots of guys here shoot a 20 so I'm sure they will chime in and add some more info.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunatly, a dog isn't really an option right now for me because I'm living on the CWU campus in a dorm. However, I've got a buddy with a decent lab that we've taken out before.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I know there are place in and around Ellensburg to hunt quail. I have not found them.

The place that I can think of fairly close to home are:
1. Yakama Reservation: Lot's of land that you can hunt for a nominal permit fee. http://www.ynwildlife.org/publichuntingfishing.php

2. The firing range between Yakima and Ellensburg. I have not hunted it, but I have friends who have. You have to sit through video of safety on the range before hunting.

3. Crab Creek area. There is a fair amount of public hunting there that I have had luck grabbing a few quail and occasional pheasant.

Now is a good time to scout out places that you might want to hunt next season. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Silverslayer, while I'm not a bird hunter, seems like there is some hunting down in the Yakima canyon right around the Umtanum walking bridge area. I could be wrong but it might be worth researching a little. The next time you are at "The Tav", see if a guy named Greg Olin still tends bar there. If he does, he might know more about it. I'm not sure if he still works there as I haven't talked to him in a couple of years. Good luck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
As noted above, on the firing center there are quail and chuckar, you will do lots of walking in search of these birds without a dog, for the quail stay near the springs which you can find on the map they provide, near the bridge would be chuckar hunting and down on the reservation are pheasant and quail, if you know where to go down there you can also find chuckar, to the east of you near George are some release sites along with jump shooting ducks, drive around the Ellensburg area and talk to farmers and ranchers to gain access for quail and a few roos as well. Have fun and good luck next season.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have done alot of hiking in the uptanum canyon on the opposite side of the bridge. Lots of deer and other big game out there. During the fall, we found cat prints on some of the south hills and we also found lots of bear crap out on the ridge adjacent to the river. Have yet to see any upland birds up there, however, on my last trip, about 2 weeks ago, we found large wing beat marks followed by small bird looking tracks. My buddy, who is more experienced said they looked like peasants to him.

The uptanum bridge area is where we go plinking too, hike up in the hills and shoot into a large dirt hillside we found.

Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever found the old homestead up there on the ridge?

G

·
you cant beat that 870, get a couple standard chokes if it didn't come with them, take it to the range and pattern it with at least 3 different schells, find the most consistant pattern and there you go. 20 will do great just gotta experiment with ammo.

You are gonna want a dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts