Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
If his debut was against someone more talented it would a great opener but Frank Mir is washed up as far as I"m concerned and should stick with commentating on WEC. The last fight Mir was in, can't remember who it was against but it was a couple months ago, he looked slow, lethargic got winded real fast and got beat. Should be entertaining if nothing else.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If anyone gets it they should tape it and PM me cause I would pay to get a tape of the fights tonight! I am just under 21 so cant go to the bars to watch it... Let me know who is interested in getting some money back for the fight

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fishinfoolz said:
If his debut was against someone more talented it would a great opener but Frank Mir is washed up as far as I"m concerned and should stick with commentating on WEC. The last fight Mir was in, can't remember who it was against but it was a couple months ago, he looked slow, lethargic got winded real fast and got beat. Should be entertaining if nothing else.
I argree. The real fight will be when he gets a shot @ the title.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
JoJoDancer said:
fishinfoolz said:
Actually Mir looked great in his last fight. That is why if he actually conditioned for this fight he should easily beat this ex WWF, wannabe NFL Minn Viking and 1-0 and thinks his size makes him a MMA guy LOSER clown: Look for Mir to finish him fast is my prediction.

While Mir professes to have returned to form, his comeback has been tumultuous. He was beaten badly by Marcio Cruz in February 2006, barely escaped with a decision over Dan Christison in July 2006, and suffered a TKO loss to Brandon Vera in November 2006. His most impressive comeback performance was his last â€" a first-round submission victory over Antoni Hardonk.

UFC 81 "Breaking Point"
Saturday, Feb. 2
Mandalay Bay Events Center, Las Vegas

UFC Interim Heavyweight
Championship
Tim Sylvia vs.
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Ice picks=Rodrigo

Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir Ice Picks=Mir
Nate Marquardt vs. Jeremy Horn Ice Pics Horn
Tyson Griffin vs. Gleison Tibau
Ricardo Almeida vs. Rob Yundt
David Heath vs. Tim Boetsch
Terry Martin vs. Marvin Eastman
Keita Nakamura vs. Rob Emerson
Kyle Bradley vs. Chris Lytle

In Lesnar, Mir faces an inexperienced opponent with amateurish striking. However, Mir might not have much of an opportunity to take advantage of the inequity in the stand-up as Lesnar will surely bully him en route to frequent takedowns.

On the ground, Mir will need to call on his once-prolific submission skills â€" Lesnar will be heavy on top and it is unlikely that he will take many chances, likely preferring to strike from within the guard. Mir needs to avoid giving up dominant positioning when being taken down, as Lesnar will be tough to submit if he gains side control.

Mir's conditioning is the biggest question mark in this fight. Often poorly conditioned, if he is out of shape on Saturday, it will be a long night. On the other hand, this is a very winnable fight if the former champion shows up with a full tank of gas.

The main event features a battle between Sylvia, 26-3, and former Pride Fighting Championships titleholder Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, 30-4-1, for the organization's interim title. Sylvia, a two-time UFC heavyweight champion, stands just four inches shy of seven feet and often confounds opponents with his reach advantage.

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
JoJoDancer said:
He's never gonna make it to a title shot IMHO... :eek:

Poorly conditioned. Fast twitch muscles are gonna need allot of work. Years away. He may bully some but not the top ranked guys.
No flexibility. Too muscular in my opinion and will be easily submitted from head to toe regardless of strength.
No formal training in Jujitsu, San Shou, or any other close-in martial art technique. Can't rely on just your hands in MMA.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
fishinfoolz said:
JoJoDancer said:
He's never gonna make it to a title shot IMHO... :eek:

Poorly conditioned. Fast twitch muscles are gonna need allot of work. Years away. He may bully some but not the top ranked guys.
No flexibility. Too muscular in my opinion and will be easily submitted from head to toe regardless of strength.
No formal training in Jujitsu, San Shou, or any other close-in martial art technique. Can't rely on just your hands in MMA.
I am with you Gene. No way this guy makes it. Plus he is a bit TUDE kinda guy. Already not liked in training. A big baby from what they say. Hope he gets it handed to him. Might be interesting but we shall see wink:

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Good call on the 2 big fights ICE Tup: , Antonio Rodrigo ‘Minotauro’ Nogueira came back from a 10 minute beating to win, and Mir, after getting physically pushed around, tapped Brock out at 90 seconds...

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
RiverFishin said:
Good call on the 2 big fights ICE Tup: , Antonio Rodrigo ‘Minotauro’ Nogueira came back from a 10 minute beating to win, and Mir, after getting physically pushed around, tapped Brock out at 90 seconds...
I just kinda feel like Lesner is making a mockery of MMA. Glad Mir came to play. Boy that Lesner has some great power if he is truly dedicated to getting better. As for Silva, I like the dude. Wish he could have finished off Nogueiria. Good fight. How did you like that quick knockout on the added fight after Silva. That guy got rocked. Tup:

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
Good fights last night and absolutely loved to see Lesner beaten so quick. Especially with all the pro wrestling stars in the audience. Stone Cold, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle all got to see what a real fight looks like.. Tup:

Even though he's still young I still think Mir has seen his best years . I hope I'm wrong because I like the guy. He's got good ground skills he's big, strong and great awareness. Lesner is an animal but he needs to change his whole approach to be competitive. I don't think we've seen the last of him. Silvia needs to work on his ground skills. I watched him get submitted by Arlovski and Coutore but I missed the Mir arm break. Although he's done pretty good so far, he cannot expect to keep the fight standing and every time he's on the ground he gets beat.

Tell you who I really like to watch fight.... Urijah Faber. Pound for pound I think he's the best fighter in MMA today.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Iceshark said:
RiverFishin said:
I just kinda feel like Lesner is making a mockery of MMA. Glad Mir came to play. Boy that Lesner has some great power if he is truly dedicated to getting better. As for Silva, I like the dude. Wish he could have finished off Nogueiria. Good fight. How did you like that quick knockout on the added fight after Silva. That guy got rocked. Tup:
I didn't order it last night, just looked it up this morning...

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
fishinfoolz said:
Good fights last night and absolutely loved to see Lesner beaten so quick. Especially with all the pro wrestling stars in the audience. Stone Cold, The Undertaker, Kurt Angle all got to see what a real fight looks like.. Tup:

Even though he's still young I still think Mir has seen his best years . I hope I'm wrong because I like the guy. He's got good ground skills he's big, strong and great awareness. Lesner is an animal but he needs to change his whole approach to be competitive. I don't think we've seen the last of him. Silvia needs to work on his ground skills. I watched him get submitted by Arlovski and Coutore but I missed the Mir arm break. Although he's done pretty good so far, he cannot expect to keep the fight standing and every time he's on the ground he gets beat.

Tell you who I really like to watch fight.... Urijah Faber. Pound for pound I think he's the best fighter in MMA today.
I can't wait to see "Little Evil" Jens Pulver now that he's in the WEC, fight Faber, that could be a godd one, Faber's last fight was one of the toughest for him I've seen, but he does look awesome...

WEC Fights on "VS" Feb 13th, 3 title fights....the last one was some of the best MMA I've seen....

·
Banned
661 Posts
Wow first FF calls Mir tired wash up and didn't even know that Frank had actually won his last fight and in a nice fashion but then after Mir almost wrenches Looosner's knee in reverse FF really likes the guy. Good fights last night and Minotauro showed great heart to sweep and tap out Sylvia. Big Tim may want to start at the bottom and rework back up. I'm taking The Spider over Hendo via KO in the first.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
RiverFishin said:
fishinfoolz said:

I can't wait to see "Little Evil" Jens Pulver now that he's in the WEC, fight Faber, that could be a godd one, Faber's last fight was one of the toughest for him I've seen, but he does look awesome...

WEC Fights on "VS" Feb 13th, 3 title fights....the last one was some of the best MMA I've seen....
Pulver is gonna get his a$$ handed too him if he fights Faber.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If anyone thought Lesnar had any chance,they're not much of a MMA fan. Hes big and strong,but thats it. Mir is washed up,and worked him over in 90 seconds. Lesnars got a LONG way to go before he gets a tittle shot.

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
Metal Slave said:
Wow first FF calls Mir tired wash up and didn't even know that Frank had actually won his last fight and in a nice fashion but then after Mir almost wrenches Looosner's knee in reverse FF really likes the guy.
What'd ya want perfection.. conf: So I was only 99.85% correct as opposed to 99.99... :mrgreen:

Just because I said he was washed up doesn't mean I don't like him does it? The last I watched Mir he was slow and tired just I said earlier, doesn't matter if he lost or or not as far as that goes. Couture is washed up, do I dislike him? NO! Mohamed Ali is washed up. Do I dislike him? NO!

If you read what I wrote carefully you'd see that all the reasons I stated led to Lesners demise to the tee. But if you want to nit pick insignificant details feel free... I still stand by my statements 100%... Tup:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You UFC fans should watch 'Fight Science' on cable.

They test Randy Couture, Bas Rutten, Tito Ortiz and Dean Lister to see what kind of punishment they deal out and receive during a UFC match. The forces they apply to the bodies of their opponents are unreal.

If Bas throws a left hook your way..........duck.

·
Banned
661 Posts
fishinfoolz said:
I think I got it... :lol:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
They said when they do a frontal crash test on a car, chest compression on the dummy of more than an inch would earn the car an "unsafe" rating.

When Bas kicked the dummy, he compressed the chest by 2.7 inches. They made him repeat the test because they didn't believe the initial results. So he killed the dummy a second time. :eek: :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts