Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 15 lb. turducken (That's a boneless chicken, stuffed inside a boneless duck, stuffed inside a turkey, with each inner bird surrounded with Creole/Cajun sausage and dressing. Personally Id have called it a a duturken or chiduckey or something without turd as the first syllable.) as a gift. Anybody ever do one of these things?

Basically the instructions say to bake it 4-5 hrs and make sure the internal temp gets to 170. I'm thinking i might smoke it for a few hours first, while exercising my drinking arm.

Any other suggestions or advice?

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Good idea. Rotator cup exercise is good for you. Will help keep you loose. Btw. Scrapple is better than the hermaphrodite baking item. Jawohl, das Scrapple ist sehr gut. It will help your gut be loose too. wink:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Traut,

Just had one for Christmas Day dinner, they are fantasic. The way I did it was put it inthe oven at 225 degrees for 8 -9 hours. Every couple of hours check the beast to see if there is much drippings in the pan, if so suck it out. If you don't do this it will deep fat fry in the grease, then the outside is well done and the inside is raw. Remember this thing is very dense and takes a long slow cook to get the internal temp up to a 160 minimum without making a dried out mess of the outisde.

Good Luck, if you do it right they are excellent.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Traut...I had one for Thanksgiving and just followed the directions it gave and it turned out great. The one thing I did do that wasnt in the instructions was baste it every hour or so with the juices in the pan. I am going to get one every year now, everyone loved it, and there wasnt much left over after the 8 people I had at my house were done with it...

·
Registered
940 Posts
Are you guys getting fresh Turducken or the frozen online birds? I had one made locally that was excellent.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine was a gift, shipped frozen out of Louisiana. Looking forward to cooking it up next week.

Do you think 2 hours of cold smoke will be enough for good flavoring?

Hey Jim, where is your local source?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Traut,

Doug's Quality Meats on the East Hill of Kent. When I was there dropping off my deer this year I asked if he still did them, he said yes. So, when we picked up the Elk (hunting season was good this year elk and deer in the box) I placed the order and had him make me a 17 pound TurDucKen. I had him make ours with regular stuffing, I know the online birds have different flavors of stuffing. As for the cooking, just make sure you get the internal temp to a miminum of 160. Google "How to cook a Tur-Duc-Ken" and you will see all of the ways say to cook at 225 for 8 - 9 hours. The birds are so dense that it takes a long slow cook to get the internal part done and not crispy critter the outside.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can find Tur-Duc-Hen's (Tony Chachere's brand) at Fred Meyer in the Frozen Foods section all year long. I don't know about the West Side of the state, but over here in the Yakima area you can pick them up for about $49 and they usually have a $5 off coupon during the holiday season. If you were to buy these online it'd cost you about double with shipping etc...(I just checked and it would cost $125 with shipping and handling...ouch!), so going to Fred Meyer is much cheaper than ordering direct.

We buy them every year for Thanksgiving or Christmas and they've always been great quality.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess I should have followed up on this a little sooner. I smoked the thawed bird for 2 hours and then popped it in the oven, covered at about 300 degrees for about 6 hours, then buttered the skin down good and went another 1 hour uncovered to brown it up. Used a digital thermometer borrowed from the neighbor. FYI - I'd really recommend one of these gadgets for anybody who does a lot of meat cooking. It has about a 3 or 4 foot cord on it, so you stick the probe in the meat and thenrun th cord to the outside of the oven and can read the temp on a little digital display. No need to constantly open the oven, uncover the meat, check the temp, recover etc.

Anyhow the bird turned out perfect, served with hand mashed taters, quarts of scratch made gravy, salad, Lousianna style green bean, cornbread, you know, all the good fixin's. Tasted fantastic. The apple smoke flavor really added a lot to the overall flavor. We gave tons of the leftovers to the neighbors, and whittled away on what was left for over a week. Made fantastic sandwiches, and diced a bunch up for omelettes.

Turducken is definitely going in my permenant reportoire of dishes to serve to big crowds. Tup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts