Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to making some daisy chains for tuna. Not hard at all. I used 130 lb mono, 4.5" P-Line squids, loop protectors from Jinkai, some crimping sleeves, a couple of beads, Mustad double hooks in size 22, and Sevenstrand TC200 clone as the chase bait. I pulled out an 8 ft section of 130 lb line and then measured 10" intervals for the 5 squids and then 20" from the last squid to the chase bait. There's no hard and fast rules to the spacing of the squids. Just make sure you crimp and slide the squids in the right order. Next project...spreader bars.

·
Registered
188 Posts
NICE!!

if you have an open seat, i'm willing to chip in on the gas and whatever else you might need. wink:

·
Registered
251 Posts
GW,

I plan to fish tuna this year. Let me know if you're looking for a buddy boat to head out with on the big pond.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I need to up my tuna gear as well.. Would like to hear about those spreader bars. Are you doing steel or nylon?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure thing NR Stu! Always a good idea to run in a pack. I'll be running out of Westport mostly. Tup:

Mitch, I'm doing 2 bars in steel. It'll be a 5-drop with 18 squids and a chase bait per bar. Metal bars are just cheaper. I got the 2 bars for $15 online.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I saw a post on another board where someone was using something like this (no doubt smaller) for a salmon set up. Even had pics of the salmon caught on it. That is intriguing to me. I probably should get consistent on the simple stuff first, but I think there is something to be said for dragging something unique around when the fish have 'been there done that" with everyone pulling the same stuff.

Be interested to see how you make the bars. Keep the pics coming!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Looks good GW....I need to get my act together and make some daisy chains. I am going to make a couple jumping chains too. Where did you get your spreader bars?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WGH. I also made a couple of smaller daisy chains for nooks and silvers. For those I used a small 2.5" squids on 60 lb mono, the chase bait I'll be using will be Coyote spoons - 4.0, 5.0, and the 6.0 sizes. Will it work?...we'll see.

Cornfed, I got them at Alltackle.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
What size bar did you use for the ones you rigged for the salmon?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WGH, no bar for the salmon. Just a daisy chain. I'm thinking about doing a dredge if I can find a dredge small enough. The bars I'm using for tuna are 36" wide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts