Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it too early to book a Tuna trip. We would like to be on a 2 day trip when they are close, 60 miles or less.

I know these things fill up fast and I we don't want to be left out. wink:

Also, after the Charter we would like to take a crack at it ourselves if thing work out. Is a 26' Striper on the small side? conf:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
i would go with capt. don i think his name is on the ranger. have heard many good things from close freinds and reasonable price.

as for doing it yourself. a 26 footer should be fine if you have proper electronics ans and radar or gps and enough fuel to last atleast 80 miles each way just in case. all this wit some good knowledge of the ocean and you should be ok.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
for westport charter operations, Ive heard the boat called the Rampage is top notch. Also the Ranger is pretty good also.

If I was going to go on a charter i'd look for late July thru August for best fishing. At least thats when I did best this past summer. I found fish from 36-54 miles out, fishing from my boat on day trips.

Your Striper is plenty of boat, but I'd recommend only going on days that have very favorable conditions, and also try to hook up with a buddy boat or two. Have lots of safety equiptment, and redundant systems for fuel, and electronics. ie hand held GPS and VHF. etc... Take lots of ice.. 150-200# for a day trip.

·
Registered
114 Posts
For my money the Ranger has been the best trip out of 3 for me so far. Capt. Don and his crew took great care of us and our catch. We had a outstanding time on the Ranger. I fished on the Rampage last year and the trip was fun but the catch care was less than wonderful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I strongly support fishguidebrian's recommendation for Geoff on the Advantage out of Westport Tup: My two boys and I have fished with him about 10 times now, and it has been a blast every trip. He's a great capt. and has good crews that work their "butt's" off. Best of all it's mainly a live bait show once a school of fish are found. Last year we each came home with 17 fish each, and they averaged about 20lbs. each clap: .

I just can't say enough about his operation. I usually go late August, or early Sept.

Good luck, and remember

<*{{{{><

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.