Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have this transparent pink colored powdercoat that i'm trying to use on my jig heads. It's not turning out pink. I've tried 5-6 seconds under a lighter and the powder didn't melt. I tried 9 seconds and it melted the powder but then turned a dark red. I tired 7-8 seconds and same thing basically. So i tried 6-7 seconds and the powder didn't melt.

Am i crazy/sucky/retarded or what? Should i use a different heating method? Should i use the oven? Did i buy the wrong powder coat (Pro-Tec)? Please help me.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, i just tried my chartreuse color and that one worked fine. I wonder what the deal with the pink is.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Did you make sure to shake and aerate the powder? For me, the best heat source was a butane torch. Just a few seconds, dip into the powder, then dip into water. When you dip into the powder, just plunge it in and bring out. I sometimes get bad ones, but a little touchup with a pair of small clippers and a quick reheat usually does the trick. Also, that pink may be turning out darker because of the lead. Are you using a white undercoat?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
madcapmag said:
Did you make sure to shake and aerate the powder? For me, the best heat source was a butane torch. Just a few seconds, dip into the powder, then dip into water. When you dip into the powder, just plunge it in and bring out. I sometimes get bad ones, but a little touchup with a pair of small clippers and a quick reheat usually does the trick. Also, that pink may be turning out darker because of the lead. Are you using a white undercoat?
No white undercoat no. It says not to. The chartreuse is super high gloss though and i heated it for 9 seconds with a lighter and just dipped it and it came out perfect. The pink though, i tried a couple of different lead heads and it still won't gloss over except as a super dark red. I can't figure out what the deal is with it.

I did shake the powder really well yes. Also, the pink one is kinda clumpy and the powder doesn't seem to be as fine as the chartreuse. If i stir the chartreuse it falls back into the center. The pink makes a crater. Almost like it has moisture in it or something. I didn't open either of them until tonight so i dunno how it coulda happened.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
weird. Yeah, maybe some moisture or something. The pro-tec powder paints are usually pretty good and consistant. Have fun with the jigs and don't get that stuff all over the place!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I even just re dipped one that i did with the pink in the chartreuse and it glossed over fine with the same amount of time heating. So i know it's not the lead heads.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
madcapmag said:
weird. Yeah, maybe some moisture or something. The pro-tec powder paints are usually pretty good and consistant. Have fun with the jigs and don't get that stuff all over the place!
Yeah i can tell it has the potential to get messy. lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
Powder

You shouldn’t have to hold the head under a lighter for 9 seconds, surprised you didn’t melt the lead. 6 seconds under a flame is the max I use. You will find out that some colors need less heat then others. If your paint is bubbling, blistering, or smoking you’re using to much heat or heating too long. If the jig appears powdery and dry, increase the preheat time.

As for your problem with the Candy (transparent) Pink, The hotter the head and the longer it’s exposed to the paint the darker the color will get. With what you’ve mentioned above, it sounds like you need to find a median with how long you heat. Also, if the paint is sticking to the head put your heads in the oven at 350 and bake for 30 minutes. This should give you that glossy look you’re looking for and it makes the paint a lot more durable.

Here are some other tips:

• Lay down some news papers to catch spilled paint, I’ve knocked over my jars before, it can make a big mess and also ruin your paint.
• Always stir the powder paint instead of shaking it. Make sure to re-stir every six heads. Also be sure to wipe off your stirring device before stirring another color.
• Never dip or push jig heads into paint. Quickly swish the jig through light powder with a side to side motion and remove from paint immediately!
• After you remove the head from the paint, quickly tap off excess paint.
• After head has cooled, clean out your hook eyes, it’s easier to do this before you cure them.
• After your done painting, hang your jig heads in your oven and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. When done, turn off oven and leave door shut, let them cool slowly. This will cure the paint and make it extremely durable.
• If your jig heads have a point or a nipple on them after removing from the oven, this means that you’re not removing the head from the paint quickly enough.
• Always store your paint at temps below 75 degrees F.

I hope this helps with your painting, let me know if you have any more questions.

Jig’n

I hope this helps with your painting, let me know if you have any more questions.

Jig’n

·
Registered
147 Posts
Use a toaster oven to apply and cure, consistent temperature every time. Wrap jig eye with a small piece of masking tape,then use hemostats to grab pre heated jig off of the toaster oven rack. Swish in paint and dip in water. Remove the masking tape from the jig eye. Make a curing base out of foil to stand the jigs upright so the paint melts down the collar during the curing process. Using this process has given me a more consistent powder painted jig head.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Powder,
you may also want to try using a heat gun to heat the heads. It works very well and will not blacken the lead head. I use Vinyl paint now . But years ago when I used powder paint the heat gun was the trick.
Jody

·
Registered
261 Posts
The brand I use is Component Systems. Down here you can get it from Sportman's or Joe's. I but it directly from the Manufacturer.
Jody

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Powder,

If you're using the powder paint called hot pink, it actually comes out like a dark red. If you want the hot pink look, you will need to get the powder paint called Cerise.

As for heating the jig heads, the lighter method pales in comparison to using a a can of sterno. That is what I use. All you need is a pair of pliers (or better yet forceps) to hold the jig by the hook's bend and dangle it over the lit can of sterno. It could be anywhere from 5-8 seconds depending on the size of the lead head.

Then dip.

I use a wire or string hung horizontally to hang the jigs to cool and move on to the next jig.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Jig'n said:
Powder
Here are some other tips:

Jig’n
Thanks Jig'n them's some good idea's for us Rookies! "TRAPPER"

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
the vinyl paint works great and it is very easy and fast. Nice to mix colors and some custom colors. One more thing to play with . Honey bring me another beer this may get messy! :lol:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
islandbass said:
Powder,

If you're using the powder paint called hot pink, it actually comes out like a dark red. If you want the hot pink look, you will need to get the powder paint called Cerise.

As for heating the jig heads, the lighter method pales in comparison to using a a can of sterno. That is what I use. All you need is a pair of pliers (or better yet forceps) to hold the jig by the hook's bend and dangle it over the lit can of sterno. It could be anywhere from 5-8 seconds depending on the size of the lead head.

Then dip.

I use a wire or string hung horizontally to hang the jigs to cool and move on to the next jig.
Actually i think you're talking about the transparent pink cuz i bought the hot pink yesterday and it's definitely hot pink.

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Try using a "Fluid Bed" It makes the paint go on evenly and consistently.

And BTW transparent powders DO require a white undercoat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts