Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang:

Always a new question...

Here is the deal... I have a 20' Intruder inboard jet (350 Kodiak)... It has the 14 degree ride master vee... While using it in the Sound I have found that it is only on plane when going 20+ mph, which is too fast when the wind waves are much above a foot... Pounds the heck out of you... Below that - it is nose high in the water... I have been told by a few dealers that trim tabs will make a huge difference in ride quality at slower speeds... I would like to hear from those of you that HAVE or HAVE HAD a boat with trim tabs if this is true or not... I prefer not to hear from those that have read, been told, or just have an uninformed opinion about them (please don't be offended)...

Regards,

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have an 1991 20' Trophy. It sits and rides low in the back end. Before I got tabs, when I ran the bow was light and waves were an issue. I got beat up pretty good. I bought and installed Bennett Sport trim tabs. One of the best things I have ever done with the boat. I can bring the bow down in rougher water and it really helps cut through the chop. The other real nice thing about trim tabs is being able to level the boat out while running. I highly recommend them. You'll find them a good investment.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I've heard from more than one boat dealer,that their boats don't need trim tabs because they're built in such a way that they run perfectly without them. Thats a crock of BS.

Trim Tabs make a world of difference in how a boat rides,gets on plane,stays on plane,fuel economy,etc. Not to mention they can level the boat,when you have a fat guy and a kicker on the same side. :D

With a prop that provides more lift,and trim tabs,my Seahawk will stay on plane all the way down to about 14-15 mph.

Its nice for tubing as well. I can pull the little guys that don't want to go fast and not be throwing a HUGE wake behind the boat.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have Bennett tabs on my boat. Bennett tabs operate with hydraulic fluid in the actuators. They are great for added control in any water conditions. I would highly recommend them if you intend to run on the sound more than anywhere else. Lenco makes an electric trim system w/out using any hydraulics as another option. Here is an info article from BoatUS on trim tabs.

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/trimtabs.htm

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Trim tabs make a world of difference on my boat. If I'm fully loaded with fat guys, gear and beer it takes FOREVER to get on plane w/o the tabs activated. Once simple adjustment of the tabs and my boat is on plane in no time. They also help keeping the boat level (side to side) while on plane if your load is uneven. Get them and you will love them.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
a boat simply wont plane at low speeds and you dont want to take heavy water with a boat that sits flat. if anything, you want to trim the bow up in heavy seas so that you dont porpoise the bow into a wave and take on water this is the reason serious offshore boats have big and high bows. a well designed hull should not need trim tabs although alot of deep v hulls need them to level the boat off after turns.

the thickest part of the hull is the keel area and it is easier on you and the boat if it is trimmed up so that the brunt is beared by this region. the only thing trim tabs will do is help plow the bow into the wave which is bad.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Clockwork,

I have to disagree somewhat with what you said. I don't think a person should trim the bow up in rough water as opposed to down. If you have a boat that rides real high in the bow (like mine) any little chop on the water beats you up. By trimming the bow down some you can eliminate alot of the up and down banging and create a level ride. It also allows you to plane at a lower speed which sometimes is needed in rough conditions. Nothing worse than being in rough conditions and you're caught with having to go faster which beats you up or so slow that you fall off plane. Granted, if your in real big rollers or waves you don't want to stuff the bow way down and risk taking a wave over the front. I agree that would be dangerous. Each boat is different in how it rides and cuts through the water. On mine, when it's choppy, I trim the bow down just enough to eliminate the slamming and it makes for a much smoother, comfortable ride. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sounds more like a pump issue. There are many differant ways to get the performance and ride changed by your pump. For your boat maybe you should also look into an adjustable nozzle.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Slabby20 is correct. Bow down in choppy water. That puts the V down into the water and cuts the waves. You want the waves cut as far towards the bow as possible. It is in smooth conditions when you want the bow out of the water so you can go faster w/ less boat in the water.

Same thing for getting out of the hole faster. Put the bow down and get on it. As I come up to cruising speed I back the tabs off. My boat usually has a slight list to the port, so I leave the port tab down one click to get a nice smooth, level ride. The list is caused because my freshwater washdown tank, my kicker and most of my fishing buddies are on that side while we cruise.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Check out the Minn-Kota Trim Tabs. They are a new design and are made from a glass filled resin. electric and very easy to install.

Get control of the attitude of your boat by installing a pair of Trim Tabs, which control the side-to-side attitude (or roll) and planing characteristics of your boat. The roll axis runs the length of your boat with several things capable of negatively affecting your boat's attitude, such as poor weight distribution, wind hitting one side of the boat and propeller torque. The pitch axis runs the width of the boat and affects the bow and stern attitude, and planing of the hull. If your boat isn't planing when throttled at higher speeds, or if throttling at intermediate levels causes the transom to squat, the bow to rise and the boat to plow water instead of planing, then there's a good chance you need Trim Tabs. By adding Trim Tabs you can adjust and correct any of these conditions and allow the boat to plane faster at lower speeds â€" saving you fuel. Trim Tabs raise and lower like the wings on an airplane. When a Trim Tab is lowered, the force of the water flowing over it lifts the transom and lowers the bow. The unique Minn Kota Trim Tab shape increases the amount of surface area in contact with the water and generates more lift than a standard straight metal tab. The new actuator has a cooler and quieter motor. Kit includes instructions, wiring harness two trim tabs and a soft-touch rocker switch.
Sizes: 9" x 12", 12" x 12".

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
If/when the time comes that I need to install new trim tabs, they'll be electric. Easier installation, more maintenence-free design, L.E.D. position indicator, no pump taking-up space in the bilge, no messy fluid, "Auto" up/down, etc. Those MinnKota tabs looks nice.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
trimming the bow down will ride better for you but is harder on the boat. if we are talking actually rough water. studies show that the leading cause of breaking up is from stuffing the bow. so iguess it depends on the situation and what you are trying to accomplish. i always rather suffer the pounding than to subjecdt my boat to punishment which can compromise its integity catastrophically or over a period of time years later.

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
The Peddler said:
If/when the time comes that I need to install new trim tabs, they'll be electric.
Yep I am sold on the Lenco's. My other boats had Bennetts and when I use to build boats I put in many sets of Bennetts.
But never again Lenco's all the way for me from now on. Work great and very easy to install.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gentlemen:

I appreciate your comments... Please keep in mind that I am a rough sea chicken... The waves get more than 2' and I am not out there... Rough water to me is between 1' and 2'... What I want to be able to do is to cruise out to Possession Bar at something more than 12 mph, but less than 25 mph and not be pounded to death by the boat... One set of tabs that has been recommended to me and looks very interesting are the QL Trim System by Volvo... Anyone with experience with thise on their boat? Especially those that have installed them...

http://www.great-water.com/pages/produc ... im_Sys.htm

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Clockwork said:
trimming the bow down will ride better for you but is harder on the boat. if we are talking actually rough water. studies show that the leading cause of breaking up is from stuffing the bow. so iguess it depends on the situation and what you are trying to accomplish. i always rather suffer the pounding than to subjecdt my boat to punishment which can compromise its integity catastrophically or over a period of time years later.
Not to start a huge debate, but...

You say you would rather take a pounding and take it easy on your boat. Well, the way I see it, if you are getting pounded, your boat is getting pounded. I'd much rather slice through the chop/wind waves than have my bow up, pounding the waves midship. I've done both and at least in my boat's case, I can guarantee you that it is easier on my boat to cut those waves with the bow.

Now if you are talking about stuffing the bow, my boat has an enclosed front and will take minimal water into the back cockpit via the walkaround. I'd still rather stick the nose into a wave or two than slam the entire bottom of the boat on wave after wave. Sticking the pointed end of a boat with a nice big V is much easier than dropping the thing off the back side of waves and landing virtually flat.

I guess the key is that all boats are different and each person likes their boat to ride a little different.

Of course I really prefer about an 80 degree day, flat water, big Kings and cold beer...But who doesn't?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Idlechater said:
Gentlemen:

I appreciate your comments... Please keep in mind that I am a rough sea chicken... The waves get more than 2' and I am not out there... Rough water to me is between 1' and 2'... What I want to be able to do is to cruise out to Possession Bar at something more than 12 mph, but less than 25 mph and not be pounded to death by the boat... One set of tabs that has been recommended to me and looks very interesting are the QL Trim System by Volvo... Anyone with experience with thise on their boat? Especially those that have installed them...

http://www.great-water.com/pages/produc ... im_Sys.htm
If all you want to do is cruise in 1' to 2' chop, put some tabs on and after playing with them a while you will probably be able to go at normal cruising speed when you get them figured out. They do take some time to get used to. One piece of advice I can tell you is to move them in short bursts and give them a good 10 seconds to react. I know this 'cuz I was impatient trying level my boat (side to side) while cruising and just about pitched my buddy overboard :eek: It is wierd, but it can take several seconds for the boat to react to your adjustment and you end up over adjustin, then over adjusting the other way and the next thing you know...someone is lying on the the deck!

Sorry, but mine came on my boat so I can't give you any install tips.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Lencos all the way. I will never own a boat with out tabs again. You have so much more adjustment for different loads and sea conditons.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
J.D. said:
What's the reverse thrust of that 3stage jet going to do to trim tabs??
i was wondering the same.

Ive never seen Trim tabs on a jet before. even steering when going forward may have some handling issues, since there isnt a keel used for turning, and the jet slides the rear end around...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
"If/when the time comes that I need to install new trim tabs, they'll be electric. Easier installation, more maintenence-free design, L.E.D. position indicator, no pump taking-up space in the bilge, no messy fluid, "Auto" up/down, etc."

Peddler-

I contemplated changing my tabs out from Bennett to Lenco, but decided to keep the Bennetts. Instead, I bought a new LED switch upgrade kit that has an integrated auto-up feature. I have yet to install it, but plan to this spring. Bought it directly from Bennett Marine. Might want to consider it on your current boat.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts