Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's going to be a LOT of springers caught at the mouth of the Wind and Drano Lake this season!! But I don't mind sharing some great tricks with my fishin brethern here (heck, I'll mostly be at a couple of semi-zippers :) , but up there at those 2 hot spots also). Your normal way will catch fish this year, but for those days and mid-days that you happen to be scratchin out there with just plain bad luck, then try the following things to increase your BBQ'n odds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Get there early! Be patient with other anglers when you finally get on the water. Don't troll too long of lines, and try to stay in the same direction of nearby boats.

Flatline trolling Magnum Warts in flame red or flourescent orange is still pretty much the go-to method. It's particularly effective early in the day. It's also worth having one of your partners try a battery lighted Kwikfish or Vortex plug as soon as there's even a hint of light coming over the Eastern horizon (they catch steelhead thru the night there, during that season). If no hit's on the 'electric light show' within an hour or so, switch to the regular lures. I also like the Chartreuse/Chrome billed pattern plugs with an arrowhead shaped bright flame red lure tape on the underside back end (that's simply a great pattern ANYWHERE salmon are livin'!

Trolled rolling prawns, in bright pink or orange, spinning plug-cut herring, size 3 to 5 bead body spinners, and the relatively new K13X Kwikfish are all excellent for these fisheries. With so many Warts in the water, those other 'change-ups' can really be the ticket sometimes. Also Vary your trolling speeds and depths when room permits.

After the fish get more weary as the day progresses they often head for areas with no boats (did I say "no boats"), aaah, fewer boats around, so don't over-look those places just because they aren't early morning 'hot spots'. Same thing for trolling near the deadline markers for new fish moving in. Another mid-day tech to use is trolling right on or near bottom with a couple foot long lead dropper lines - especially during bright sunny periods on that clear water. Another unusual method for there that I've done well with is to troll the prawn or herring about 4 or 5' behind a Mag Hot-n-Tot diver. That both puts your bait at about the same depth as the productive Mag Warts are at and gives you an 'attractor' for the bait. Experiments show they almost always hit baits, not the plug diver, in this scenario. Another is to switch to smaller plugs (standard size Fatfish and Hot Shots are good examples) and troll them about 4' behind the real small 1 oz. crescent trolling sinker. After the sun drops off the water, or the number of boaters thins out (yeah, right), then go back to those morning offerings.

BE SURE to bring a Columbia corrected tide booklet - those fish will only hit on an incoming tide up there! ..............
(ok - that's an early bad april fools try - or is it?).

Another effective fish attractor I've used successfully for years is to put a hook-less bead body trolling spinner (although, rig it with a siwash hook where 3 hooks are legal - they aren't up there) tied into the leader at about the mid-point. Not only excellent for Wind/Drano, that is also hammer time on the big CR and Willy rivers! And in other fresh-water and salt-water areas. Size 4 rainbow Colorado blades work well, as does the Cascade blade that's so popular in T-Bay. Try the sonic blades used in Panther Martins (can't recall their name off-hand) the same way, thus adding a bit more sound attraction.

Bank castors take a decent share of springers from both places. Casting spinners used to be the ticket, and still are. But in recent years they've done quite well with casting and retrieving Mag Warts. Keep your rod tip low during retrieve and/or add a bit of weight up the line. The slow thumping action on both spinners and plugs is better for the Chinooks - but do try varying both speed and depth. Also in recent years, guys in anchored boats and from shore have done real well at times float fishing bait (eggs, prawns, sandshrimp, and other semi-zipper baits - one of those being real small whole squid, as fresh as fresh can be). Try adding some bait oil laden green yarn to the baits at times. AND WATCH YOUR BOBBER!

RT Steve

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
That is some great info, thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts