Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reports from the midwest say that Tony Bennett is the front-runner to replace former coug coach Kelvin Sampson as the head coach for the Indiana Hoosiers. What an opportunity for Bennett if this happens!! Bennett's sister was the coach of the IU women's team from 2000-20005.. The Green Bay Press Gazette says, "

In a place known as a basketball Siberia, Bennett has turned Washington State into a national power. Surely, Bennett knows he can't stay at the Pullman, Wash., school forever, and Indiana would be the perfect place for him. He might have been a bigger player in the Big Ten openings last season at Iowa and Minnesota had they not come after Bennett's first season as a head coach — one in which he was The Associated Press national coach of the year. "

·
Registered
617 Posts
It is my understanding the Husky fans have asked the State to subsidize this move, to end the continued decay of the Husky athletic program.GO COUGS!

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Every time a job opens up Tony Bennett is going to be named as a possible candidate. Maybe he is happy at Washington State? Mark Few gets mentioned quite a bit too and he hasn't jumped ship. Hard to believe for some but there are a few guys that enjoy coaching the smaller programs and don't have the ambitions to jump into the headaches of running the bigger programs. Bennett just might be the front runner to replace Romar next year too. wink:

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
Bennett just might be the front runner to replace Romar next year too. wink:
Fine by me :mrgreen:

I dont see him going anywhere. WSU is taking pretty good care of him over there :(

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would Bennett be mentioned for all the job openings???? Why don't they mention Ben Howland or Trent Johnson, or Ernie Kent, or Ben Braun ???

·
Registered
240 Posts
Bennett isn't going anywhere. Bennett's are true to their word and true to their contracts. At least papa Bennett was.

It will be interesting to see what Tony does over the next couple of years, playing with his recruits, not his dad's.

Go Cougs!!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Bennett is happy in Pullman. He had to sit through years of watching the team(under his dads coaching) SUCK. now they are finally good, better believe he will stay lol

Like DB said, every bigtime opening will have his name in it

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tony Bennett stock is going up..Indiana and LSU are the first two in line..Bennett sr. was true to his word at Wisconsin- Stevens Point, then Wisconsin- Green Bay, then for the Wisconsin Badgers where he quit in the middle of the season ala Mike Hargrove..Why all the national speculation TB will be leaving ???

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
cmessling07 said:
Bennett is happy in Pullman. He had to sit through years of watching the team(under his dads coaching) SUCK. now they are finally good, better believe he will stay lol

Like DB said, every bigtime opening will have his name in it
If not Indiana, than sooner then later, he will be moving on when the right fit comes along. There are millions of reasons to do so. Don't kid yourself. The Bennetts' are great people, but the midwest (specifically Wisconsin) is home for them. Notice Dick and Anne moved back to Wisconsin.....and all the other kids and grandkids are there. The Wisconsin job will open up in a few years when Bo Ryan retires.

WSU better enjoy it while Tony is there.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Wishful thinking on the part of the Husky fans! Tony has done a great job against Romar . As soon as he establishes his ability to recruit a big time program will make him an offer he can not refuse, but for now, GO COUGS! Tup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
dmack said:
Why would Bennett be mentioned for all the job openings???? Why don't they mention Ben Howland or Trent Johnson, or Ernie Kent, or Ben Braun ???
because they coach at schools that have strong programs. as a coug, i'd love to see bennett stay and have great success but we have to realize that it's very difficult to recruit to the palouse and after this year's seniors graduate, i don't think we'll see another successful season for quite some time. that being said, it behooves bennett to take a job at a powerhouse like indiana and it would be foolish for him to turn one down. if he was offered a position like that and turned it down to principles of his contract, that would make him the most upstanding person/coach in the country.

i'm loving this success and would love to see it continue but realism is a bitch.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
tyro said:
dmack said:
because they coach at schools that have strong programs. as a coug, i'd love to see bennett stay and have great success but we have to realize that it's very difficult to recruit to the palouse and after this year's seniors graduate, i don't think we'll see another successful season for quite some time. that being said, it behooves bennett to take a job at a powerhouse like indiana and it would be foolish for him to turn one down. if he was offered a position like that and turned it down to principles of his contract, that would make him the most upstanding person/coach in the country.

i'm loving this success and would love to see it continue but realism is a bitch.
One of the top reasons why bennet is such a great coach is that he can 1) help players develop tremendously 2) his players always play as hard as possible and 3) teaches/stresses the fundamentals of defense like no other.

Obvioulsy the next few years will not be as good as this one(once a top 5 ranking) . However, this team will upset sometimes due to their great defense and discipline each year

1 - 14 of 14 Posts