Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to a big itch and had to get my salt fix today. I got blanked on the opener in Area 11 on Feb. 16th. I decided to make the short run to Three Tree. The weather was outstanding, gear in the water 1 1/2 before high water. I marked very little bait in the area. It looked like the dead sea. To my surprise, the rod doubled up...fish on! Once I grabbed the rod, I knew it was a good fish. This fish took several thumb burning runs, then showed itself about 100 ft. from the boat. It was a gooood fish. After an excellent battle it came to the boat....."wild fish". It was the largest Blackie I've caught in the in area 7,8,9. 10 and 11. It was bigger than some/most of the Kings I caught this past summer. I put in the 14-15 lb. range. Rigger set at 125 ft, in 108 ft of water, green glow dummy flasher, Green/White Tiger striped 4" Coyote Spoon. Fish released un- harmed.

I fished another hour......nothing, nada.....zippo! I will post a picture if I can pull it off the camera phone.

Good times!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Sweet congrats on the brute! Looked like a beautiful day to be out. Im STILL at work. But will be rewarded tomorrow when its supposed to be even nicer. Thanks for the report Tup:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not trying to be the bearer of bad new but you do know you could have kept that fish Right?? Its not fin clipped in area 11. Nice fish though. Puttin back just for the derby, what a sportsman.!!!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lip Ripper,

I don't think that puppy would hold up on ice come derby time. It would have been a tough one to beat.

Good luck on the derby... I have a golf tourney!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Good job, nice day to be out. I usually tend to err on the side of caution unless I have just read the regs within the last 5 minutes.
Now you're making me think about where to go derby day. Red Neckerson has multiple hits in area 13, DB picks up a money maker on the flats off Pt. Defiance, and you produce the winner at Three Tree. All I'm going to do is put the rod in my kid's hands and hope for the best.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Commander X,

It's always a tough decision on where to fish. My last trip out of Defiance/Qtr. Master drew a big blank....not even a shaker. During the Area 11 opener. I fished the Point, Qtr. Master, Girl Scout Camp and Redondo for a quick bounch in the mud. I saw very little happening anywhere. Hopefully some bait will show. I marked very little bait today at Three Tree.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts