Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Hunter P... Since you've never been on a TJ how can you comment on it riding like crap??? You dont even know what the deadrise is... Rogue is asking for information from people who actually have experience with one.

Ive had one since the end of 2003

the 20' Luxor has 16 degree deadrise. I own that exact boat. It, like most alum boats is not ideal for nasty white caps.
I have suspension seats on mine, and it really makes it nice. I would recommend getting them if the boat doesnt have them.

Mine has seen everything from lakes, the Big C, Puget Sound to 50+ miles offshore for tuna. Its a great all around boat, and has a lot of room and storage..

None of the Aluminum boats of this style have what one would call a great ride in the chop. The Helm is very far forward which makes the operators feel the pounding. Sit in the stern and its a completely different feeling. They are also light, which also makes them pound.
If you want a good boat for chop, get a glass boat.. Any small Alum boat will pound in comparison

No complaints about the 140 suzuki either. They are very efficient and reliable...

Not sure how soon you are wanting to buy, or what you are looking to spend, But I Might be selling mine here in a month or two, as Im looking to upsize to a 24' boat more suited for offshore use.. I plan on getting serious about Tuna this summer, and My boat is a little too small to load it down with tuna...(although ive has as many as 23 tuna on it on one trip) And over 120 tuna met their maker on it this past summer.

I'd recommend taking any used boat on a test ride and do a comparison of what you like. Ive been on a few different aluminum boats and they all handle pretty similarly. Do some internet searches on the boats you like Try the I Fish website .. some good threads have been on there). Some boats of a certain manufacturer had lots of issues with cracking Offshore brackets, which they had to repair/replace in many cases so do your homework (And the brand with the issues isnt a TJ... enuf said :lol: )

Get feedback from people who actually have the boat you are looking at or some experince with it. Because if you dont it will become something like asking what 4 stroke motor is the best.. everyone always says the best is what they have, yami, zuki, E-Tec...

So to answer your question about would it be a good boat for MA 9, 10, 11.. I say yes a TJ would!! If you are looking for an ideal Salt boat where 100% of your time is on the salt, in all reality, a glass boat would probrably be a better choice

Rogue, if you have any specific questions and want Honest and Knowledgable answers about a Luxor PM me and I'll give ya honest feedback.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
i also got to point out that Elronp and Netboy both have Inboard Jets on their boats. Both would have less deadrise and less control and stability and a much harsher ride in an ocean/salty environment when compared to a Luxor with a outboard and Bracket.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Thats a SMOKING DEAL on a Luxor.

Just make Sure it has the 6' Floor upgrade.

I just was at the Portland Boatshow and a 08' Luxor with a 135 Honda was $29,995...

So for 22k, with all the extras thats almost stealing that guys boat.

· Registered
2,603 Posts
Radiator-- yup they stopped selling them at Aub Sports. Probrably because they had them priced about $4-6k more than they were priced in Portland. So they changed lines of Alum Boats. Portland isnt that far to drive, Plus I doubt there's a whole lot of "service" the boat will need. Generally any issues would be with the motor, which any yamaha, zuki, merc dealer could do for ya.

On most of the actual "boat" issues ive seen with any of the Alum manufacturers, they make you haul the boat back to the manufacturer for the warranty work, which in most cases is in eastern WA or Oregon..

4 years and 200+ hours of water time, and no issues for me thus far, either with the Motors or the boat.
Wish i could say that for the trailer... I just re-did both axles with brand new bearings and brakes.. That salt water sure is hard on brakes...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.